No consistency on any section! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
leche

Bronze

No consistency on any section!

Post by leche » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm getting so frustrated. I have zero consistency in every section, so not only am I seeing little improvement, I'm running out of ways to try to improve. I've already gone through the PS Bibles on LR and LG (twice), and Manhattan's guide on LR and RC.

On LG I usually only miss 0, 1, or 2 but today missed 5. I sucked at grouping games when I started studying, got the hang of them, and now (apparently) get thrown off by easier linear games.

RC can be anywhere from -2 to -6 or 7. The only consistent thing there is that it is usually the passage on law that I miss the most on, which just makes me afraid I'm going to suck at law school.

I've tried tracking question types for LR to see if there is some pattern but there is NONE. I usually miss anywhere from -2 to -6 or 7 (but I have missed as many as 9). Sometimes on easy ones, sometimes hard ones; sometimes ones I thought I was positive I had the right answer, sometimes ones I basically guessed on.

I'm doing the whole "write a paragraph on every wrong/unsure question" to understand my mistakes, but my score is stuck in the mid-160's every time. I want to comfortably break 170. Has anyone else experienced this and want to share what you did to see some regularity? Any tips are appreciated.

nshapkar

Gold

Re: No consistency on any section!

Post by nshapkar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:30 pm

leche wrote:I'm getting so frustrated. I have zero consistency in every section, so not only am I seeing little improvement, I'm running out of ways to try to improve. I've already gone through the PS Bibles on LR and LG (twice), and Manhattan's guide on LR and RC.

On LG I usually only miss 0, 1, or 2 but today missed 5. I sucked at grouping games when I started studying, got the hang of them, and now (apparently) get thrown off by easier linear games.

RC can be anywhere from -2 to -6 or 7. The only consistent thing there is that it is usually the passage on law that I miss the most on, which just makes me afraid I'm going to suck at law school.

I've tried tracking question types for LR to see if there is some pattern but there is NONE. I usually miss anywhere from -2 to -6 or 7 (but I have missed as many as 9). Sometimes on easy ones, sometimes hard ones; sometimes ones I thought I was positive I had the right answer, sometimes ones I basically guessed on.

I'm doing the whole "write a paragraph on every wrong/unsure question" to understand my mistakes, but my score is stuck in the mid-160's every time. I want to comfortably break 170. Has anyone else experienced this and want to share what you did to see some regularity? Any tips are appreciated.
Are you looking over those paragraphs every night before going to bed? That might help as opposed to writing a paragraph, checking it once, and never looking at it again.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:53 pm

This sounds like concentration more than anything else. What kind of setting are you PTing in, usually? Do you try to stick to the same routine? Do you have something to calm yourself/get yourself up for the test before you start?

leche

Bronze

Post by leche » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:40 pm

incompetentia wrote:This sounds like concentration more than anything else. What kind of setting are you PTing in, usually? Do you try to stick to the same routine? Do you have something to calm yourself/get yourself up for the test before you start?
I usually go to a quiet spot in a library, sometimes study at home (which I know is supposed to be a bad idea, but again, no consistency on where I do better). I made flashcards for question types on LR, I sometimes (not always) go over those before I start. Maybe I'll start doing that every time, and warming up a little with games before jumping in. Thanks for suggesting that.

Concentration doesn't really seem to be the problem though. Sometimes I can attribute a wrong answer to being distracted by the kid coughing next to me, but usually that isn't the case...I'm pretty good at tuning things out.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Does your mind wander at all during the sections? Do you lose your place ever? Do you tend to notice things around you that are happening during the test?

Are you usually nervous before you start?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:34 pm

incompetentia wrote:Does your mind wander at all during the sections? Do you lose your place ever? Do you tend to notice things around you that are happening during the test?

You're asking ADD/ADHD diagnostic questions, was that intentional? cuz the same thought crossed my mind.

lukebyalibi

New

Post by lukebyalibi » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:15 am

I would say the fact the you constantly score mid 160's actually shows your consistency. I would be more worried if you where scoring 171 then 158 then 160. Try chilling out for a few days, you def have sufficient time left in studying to take a much needed break from the sound of it.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:20 am

Jeffort: I was thinking of things that I used to do on tests that caused my focus to wander...sooooooooo :lol:

The thing is, if there are no concepts that are weak, even if you're scoring into the 160s, there has to be something else going on.

leche

Bronze

Post by leche » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:41 pm

incompetentia wrote:Does your mind wander at all during the sections? Do you lose your place ever? Do you tend to notice things around you that are happening during the test?

No on all of those questions. I get nervous before I check the answer key and that's it.

lukebyalibi wrote:I would say the fact the you constantly score mid 160's actually shows your consistency. I would be more worried if you where scoring 171 then 158 then 160. Try chilling out for a few days, you def have sufficient time left in studying to take a much needed break from the sound of it.
The problem is I don't actually have a ton of days left, between a vacation this week, working 40+ hours every week, and a wedding the weekend before the test. I only get to do a full PT once every couple of days. Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself on the PT's because those thoughts are lingering.

And I guess you're right that my score is consistent, but I just wish I could keep the sections themselves consistent. I missed 5 on LG yesterday, which was abnormal, but made up for it by only missing 3 in RC (not necessarily abnormal but I usually miss like 4 or 5). It's hard to figure out where I should devote time when I only have, say, an hour to study before work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:41 pm

How much are you studying? At this point I'd have to guess it may be that you're just burying yourself in study and abstracting everything to the point where the right answers no longer jump out.

Take breaks of 3-4 days if you're not already.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Try aiming for a 168. I know it sounds a bit weird at first, but in some ways the LSAT should be treated like a computer adaptive exam (i.e. the GMAT) in that unless you're really close to a 180 on practice tests, it's not feasible you'll get that score, and the key to doing a bit better on your next test is to take a dive on the impossible ones so that you leave yourself more time for the challenging-but-doable ones. There's probably a bunch of psychological benefits to aiming for 1 or 2 points better than last time. Jumping five points from one test to another does happen, but it's more likely going to be a point-by-point battle for you, so set your sights on the next point, and nothing higher.

Also, try adding a bit of a warm-up to your routine.

Good luck!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Also, don't work yourself up. Getting frustrated, angry or whatever is just going to exacerbate things.

Chill out, take a couple of days off, and come back at it when you're ready to go.

youarereadingthis

New

Post by youarereadingthis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:35 am

Do you notice a pattern on your performance regarding the order of the sections (not the type). For example, I noticed my first and fourth sections are usually my best regardless of type because I feel fresh for them. So I'm working on my endurance.

It's just a thought.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”