Prep advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSWin

New

Prep advice

Post by LSWin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 pm

Last edited by LSWin on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

polevaulter

New

Re: Which of these LSAT prep plans is best?

Post by polevaulter » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:18 pm

jxtxdx wrote:So I'm taking the LSAT this coming June, right now hovering around 168-169. Haven't cracked 170 yet. My weakness is definitely RC, as I usually pull around a -5. Not really a time issue (though I do usually rush the fourth passage), it's mostly due to not really understanding the passage's viewpoint/tone/intent (so maybe this is a timing issue, perhaps I'm moving too fast through them). LR is getting better and better... hover around -3 now. No timing issues, just need to perfect my grasp of the more difficult stimuli, I think. LG hover around -1 (usually 0 or -1)... no problems with this section right now.

So I've got almost exactly 3 months until the big day, and I'm trying to decide on the best course of action. My goal score is 172; give myself a competitive app for NYU/Penn, safeties in Cornell/GULC, and perhaps ED my way into Columbia. Of course, I wouldn't be opposed to scoring higher :) ... We'll see how it goes

I've been through all 3 bibles, I think they all helped. I just bought the Atlas RC book, as I didn't realize how highly recommended it was before I bought the RC Bible. I'm hoping that will fix some of my RC problems. So I'm trying to work my final 3 month study plan around a 9-5... tell me what you guys think of the options below, based on your experience...

Option A: Study 3 hours after work on MWF, LR on Mondays, LG on Wednesdays, RC on Fridays, PT on Sundays.. until last month before the test, which is straight PT's

Option B: Same 3 hours after work MWF, but LR for the entire first week of the month, LG the entire second week of the month, and RC the entire last two weeks of the month. Same cycle for the second month, then straight PT's for the final month.

Option C: Do you guys have a better suggestion? Am I missing something?

My initial thoughts were to go with option B, just because I thought taking a deep dive into each section-type for an entire week would really cause some improvements, where option A might spread each section out too thin, never giving the material a chance to sink in... Thoughts??

Also what on your opinions on PTs? Best saved for a last-month marathon, or spread out evenly over 3 months? I'm actually really interested to hear some opinions on that...

Thanks so much guys, sorry for the long post!
Did you design your own study plan to begin with or are you using something like LSAT Blog (where he maps it out for you)? I have to start studying seriously this week myself...I take the June LSAT. My diagnostic was 165 . So I'm not sure if I should just prep on my own and develop my own system. Right now I have the 2 bibles (which put me to sleep at times), all of the official PT's, SuperPrep and 2 of the book of 10 LSAC books.

P.S. I personally like your "option A"

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Option B. A more profound impact.

Don't forget to do a bunch of questions in a row of the type that you get wrong (after a PT or just in general). Good luck!

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:01 pm

I don't have a problem with either plan, though I think they're a bit skimpy on hours. People taking classes will often spend that many hours in class every week PLUS about the same amount of time or more for homework. It's only three months. Tell your friends you'll see them after the test.

More important, however, is the quality of your time studying. Most of it, IMHO, should be mostly off-the-clock, slow, deliberate, and analytical. Study somewhere without distraction of phones and computers where you can hyper-focus on the material. Work everything at least three times (not all at once) and concentrate on being able to articulate exactly why each wrong answer is wrong and why each wrong answer is right. Literally write down one-sentence explanations if you need to.

Good luck.

privatemf

New

Post by privatemf » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Whatever works for you. I was so overwhelmed with this study and I have calm down a lot. I visit the LSAT Blog and he has a study plan, which tells you what to do on what day and it is great. I also use Kaplan on Demand. I believe the LSAT blog said that if you have to ask this you are approaching it wrong. Good luck I hope you do well..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mac35352

Bronze

Post by mac35352 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:12 am

I like option B better. In my experience focusing on one area at a time and then giving myself a break works.
I do think 3 hours 3 days a week plus a few on Sunday are not right....but you are relatively close to your goal so it might be all you need.
Good job

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:11 am

Option A or B seem about equal depending on your own personal learning style. My only change is that it sounds like you're considering doing a practice test each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after work for a solid month before the exam. If I'm reading that wrong, disregard my post. If that's true, that sounds like overkill and could lead to you burning out before the real thing. I'd spread them out more evenly if you can, while still increasing the frequency somewhat towards the end of your prep period. You certainly want to build stamina by taking the PTs, since taking a full length test does require much more out of you than individual 35 minute sections. However, I think that taking 1-2 tests a week is enough to accomplish that as long as you're consistent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”