Advice for Retake? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
fltanglab

Silver

Advice for Retake?

Post by fltanglab » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:05 am

Hi. I'm relatively new on here since I'm not applying until next cycle, but I scored poorly on the February LSAT (157) and I am looking for words of wisdom for where I can go.

Prior to February, I took four practice tests and scored 166 cold, 172, 179, and 180. I thought I was sufficiently prepared, but in the week before the test I had three exams and a paper, resulting in severe sleep deprivation (4 hours a night for the whole week). Additionally, I feel that I did not prepare enough and, after reading the preparation techniques of other people on here, I definitely didn't do anywhere near as much preparation.

My current plan is to go home after finals (end of April) and then take a class from May 1-June 2, then take the June 6 administration. If anyone has additional advice, I would appreciate it.

well-hello-there

Bronze

Re: Advice for Retake?

Post by well-hello-there » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:13 am

you should most definitely pay the $1200 or $1300 it costs to take a classroom kaplan course. you scored a 180 once and so i'm sure you can do it again, however, a kaplan extreme course is really the only thing that will help you get that perfect score again.

and don't worry about the money. A 180 on the LSAT is worth at least one hundred thousand dollars. Those are some insane returns on your muneez that you're not gonna get from apple or google stock. IMO, for your situation, it is well worth the investment

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:04 pm

well-hello-there wrote:you should most definitely pay the $1200 or $1300 it costs to take a classroom kaplan course. you scored a 180 once and so i'm sure you can do it again, however, a kaplan extreme course is really the only thing that will help you get that perfect score again.

and don't worry about the money. A 180 on the LSAT is worth at least one hundred thousand dollars. Those are some insane returns on your muneez that you're not gonna get from apple or google stock. IMO, for your situation, it is well worth the investment
Thanks. I actually signed up for the Kaplan Advanced Course (I wanted something on-site and within the month I have between the end of school and the June test). I couldn't do the extreme one because it starts when I'm still in school in Michigan and I'm going to be home in Maryland for the course. Money is actually a non-issue for me both in prep and for apps/deciding where to go. I'm fortunate in that sense. I'm willing to spend as much money as needed to get into the best school.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:08 pm

"I took four practice tests and scored 166 cold, 172, 179, and 180."

Did you take them in an LSAT for Dummies book? I just don't see how your score drops to a 157 from that, even with a lack of sleep, and especially without you catching it and canceling - you would've noticed a difference. Definitely stock up on official tests by purchasing them from the LSAC, and then have at it.

bp colin

Bronze

Post by bp colin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Make sure you're always taking your tests in a very realistic setting. Be strict with timing, take them at the same time you'll be taking the actual test, don't eat or drink or listen to music, etc. The higher your PT average gets, the more elasticity it has. To get consistency, you need your practice to mimic the actual test as much as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 pm

esq wrote:Did you take them in an LSAT for Dummies book?

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:54 pm

esq wrote:"I took four practice tests and scored 166 cold, 172, 179, and 180."

Did you take them in an LSAT for Dummies book? I just don't see how your score drops to a 157 from that, even with a lack of sleep, and especially without you catching it and canceling - you would've noticed a difference. Definitely stock up on official tests by purchasing them from the LSAC, and then have at it.
I am generally too stubborn to cancel, although I considered not taking the test at all after my exams that week. Unlike many of the people on here, I didn't spend months preparing for the test. It was a much more casual preparation for me, which probably contributed to a significant drop when I managed to have a complete breakdown a few days before the exam. Maybe it's because I never really thought I was going to go to law school until a month before the LSAT since I was pre-med until January...in any case I have learned/realized I should take it more seriously now.

The 180 was the 2007 June test.

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:57 pm

bp colin wrote:Make sure you're always taking your tests in a very realistic setting. Be strict with timing, take them at the same time you'll be taking the actual test, don't eat or drink or listen to music, etc. The higher your PT average gets, the more elasticity it has. To get consistency, you need your practice to mimic the actual test as much as possible.
Thanks. It was not really possible for me to mimic exact conditions while still going to class, but being out of class for the June administration will help a lot with that issue.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Weird. your range was from a 157 to a 180? This is a huge range. Are you absolutely certain that the 180 and the high-170's were correctly timed?

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:39 pm

TommyK wrote:Weird. your range was from a 157 to a 180? This is a huge range. Are you absolutely certain that the 180 and the high-170's were correctly timed?
Yeah. However, I had a timing issue with one section during the actual test. During practices it varied depending on the material. Sometimes I'd finish really early (in half the time) and sometimes it would take the entire time. I think if I go into the next test practicing to finish under the time allotted, the variability will matter less. The 157 was a real test, the others were practices.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”