LSAT Instructor Jobs... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
suspicious android

Silver

Re: LSAT Instructor Jobs...

Post by suspicious android » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:09 pm

BrianOz1 wrote:Just signed the offer today. Was unaware that prep time was compensated. I have training this weekend. I'm sure I'll find out then, but if anyone has prior experience on how it generally works, I'd be curious to know.
They'll probably just limit the number of prep time you can do per hour of class taught, maybe give you an extra allowance for the first couple of courses that you teach since you'll need to prep a lot more then than you will once you've done the class 3-4 times. The first classes I taught I prepped about 45 minutes per class, second time about 15 minutes.

BrianOz1

New

Post by BrianOz1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Yea that's what I figured. I'm sure my first course is going to be pretty labor intensive. Nice to know i am going to be getting paid while I prep for my retake.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:47 pm

jeremysen wrote:Princeton Review (15/hr) - though it's likely higher pay for their hyperlearning class
I never knew anyone at TPR making only $15. Even SAT teachers made more. In my market they paid almost double what Kaplan offered for LSAT. They also paid more for tutoring, even more when you recruit the students, even more once you're certified as a master tutor/trainer, and even more once you're certified as a premium tutor.

polevaulter

New

Post by polevaulter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 pm

BrianOz1 wrote:Polevaulter- I am going to make $23/hour, $8.10 for prep time. Does anyone know how this paid prep time works? Do I just report my hours to them?
Brian,
Congrats! PM me and let me know what company you went with and what your score was.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Question for anyone who might know.
Does any company consider expanding to a nearby city if there is no prep course offered there already and they find an interested teacher?

I'm going to be in grad school next year at a large public institution with 20,000+ undergrads and the nearest prep company looks like it is an hour and a half away. If I could teach a prep class at that school through a company, that would be a wonderful way to supplement any near minimum wage job I would have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbriggs

New

Post by jbriggs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey 2014- surprising to have no prep company around that sized university. I think that Manhattan LSAT's website says they will consider expansion, though it appears there timeframe is not too fast, so you might have to wait a while. Also, any company that operates remotely (no local office or admin staff) such as Powerscore I would think would consider the idea as the business decision is pretty simple- no costs to them until students start signing up and then they just make money. Probably worth calling some companies to find out

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 pm

2014 wrote:I'm going to be in grad school next year at a large public institution with 20,000+ undergrads and the nearest prep company looks like it is an hour and a half away. If I could teach a prep class at that school through a company, that would be a wonderful way to supplement any near minimum wage job I would have.
For TPR, it depends on how far away the local office is. There's a pretty good chance you could talk us into it if you passed training. You'd have to talk to a local marketing person and get them to put up a schedule and probably pay you to flyer, etc.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Silver

Post by Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:33 pm

jbriggs wrote:Hey 2014- surprising to have no prep company around that sized university. I think that Manhattan LSAT's website says they will consider expansion, though it appears there timeframe is not too fast, so you might have to wait a while. Also, any company that operates remotely (no local office or admin staff) such as Powerscore I would think would consider the idea as the business decision is pretty simple- no costs to them until students start signing up and then they just make money. Probably worth calling some companies to find out
If we can find a great teacher, we'll set up shop wherever that teacher is, and/or put them online (about half our students are online students). Last year we accepted about 3% of candidates who made it through the resume filter, so we're not a sure thing, but we'd love to have you apply if you have the score and teaching experience. Reach out if you have a question, or look at the advantage page on our site to read our standards/pay, etc.

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 pm

I have questions for people who have taught for PR. What is the audition process like? Is it a good place to work? Are classes fun-ish/how do they compare to other teaching?

I applied recently and got a call this evening asking me to set up an audition.

Background: I have 3 years of experience teaching college classes and a 172 from Feb 11.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:26 am

kulshan wrote:I have questions for people who have taught for PR. What is the audition process like? Is it a good place to work? Are classes fun-ish/how do they compare to other teaching?

I applied recently and got a call this evening asking me to set up an audition.

Background: I have 3 years of experience teaching college classes and a 172 from Feb 11.
The audition is really nothing more than to make sure you can speak publicly without clamming up or putting people to sleep. Stand up and show that you're fun and engaging. TPR has a pretty irreverent culture, so don't think of it as a formal job interview.

They way we always did auditions was to have people teach anything non-academic for five minutes. How to cook dumplings or how to serve a tennis ball or whatever. (But don't do origami. Everyone HATES origami.)

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:10 pm

I am a 1L thinking about applying to do this part time in one city over the summer and then back at my school in the fall. I got a 173 on my LSAT...I think it was 99th percentile.

Can anyone tell me anything about any of the companies, and what to expect with regard to the application and training process? I was going to apply to Testmasters but someone told me they require you to do a week-long training in LA and that only about 40% of people who go through the training actually get hired. Does anyone know anything about that? Is that how most of the companies work?

Anyone who has experience teaching or tutoring for these companies, I would really appreciate some advice. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share who you work for here.

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:14 pm

democrattotheend wrote:only about 40% of people who go through the training actually get hired.
If it were much higher, I'd be worried.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu May 26, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm necroing this thread because I can.

Is it too late to get an LSAT tutoring gig if we're class of 2014? I just realized I have lots of free time and not lots of free money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minnesotasam

New

Post by minnesotasam » Thu May 26, 2011 3:28 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Can anyone tell me anything about any of the companies, and what to expect with regard to the application and training process? I was going to apply to Testmasters but someone told me they require you to do a week-long training in LA and that only about 40% of people who go through the training actually get hired. Does anyone know anything about that? Is that how most of the companies work?
Yes there is a week-long training in LA. The 40% figure is lower than the anecdotal evidence I have from two friends who have taught for TM.. One had ~50% get hired and one had >80% in his group.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”