RC Improvement Methods Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
FutureLS10

New

RC Improvement Methods

Post by FutureLS10 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:58 am

I am looking for ways to improve my RC. Is studying MCAT RC an effective way to improve LSAT RC?

suspicious android

Silver

Re: RC Improvement Methods

Post by suspicious android » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:01 am

Have you done all 250 reading comp passages produced by LSAC?

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:04 am

See this post for links on RC strategies: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p3370904

If you're still contemplating MCAT passages after completing 268 LSAT RC passages, consider medical school.

Excel

New

Post by Excel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:27 am

bulk bulk bulk

do 8-10 sections at a time a few times-no breaks in between. then take a day or 2 off, and try one section.

will see improvements.

FutureLS10

New

Post by FutureLS10 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:12 am

Excel wrote:bulk bulk bulk

do 8-10 sections at a time a few times-no breaks in between. then take a day or 2 off, and try one section.

will see improvements.
Should I check my answers immediately upon finishing each section, or should I wait to check the answers after all 8-10 sections are complete?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:30 am

When are you taking the LSAT? You need to read your ass off. Economist, John Stuart Mill, etc. Learn to read faster while still comprehending

Excel

New

Post by Excel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:42 am

FutureLS10 wrote:
Excel wrote:bulk bulk bulk

will see improvements.
Should I check my answers immediately upon finishing each section, or should I wait to check the answers after all 8-10 sections are complete?
yes, check and review each question, wrong or right. Then move onto next section asap.

The words and parts of the article you need to remember will become increasingly obvious.

so like this:
day 1: do 8-10 sections, review inbetween, no breaks.
day 2: do 8-10 sections, etc
day 4: do 8-10 sections, etc
day 7: try 1 or 2 of them. Hopefully you see some improvements.

i understand the 10 sections + review will take 2-3 hours, but it will be worth it. Your brain will be fried by the end, but it will refresh during the days off, with some of the stuff sticking. Let me know it goes.

FutureLS10

New

Post by FutureLS10 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:When are you taking the LSAT? You need to read your ass off. Economist, John Stuart Mill, etc. Learn to read faster while still comprehending
I am taking the June 2011 LSAT. I have just started a course this week and my diagnostic was a 156. I am shooting for 170.

My diagnostic scores by section were:
LG: -7
LR1: -6 (I answered the first 17 correctly, but I only answered 1 of the last 8 correctly!)
LR2: -8 (I had a similar pattern (to LR1) of 85% correct in the first 18 q's; but, then my accuracy in the latter problems dropped significantly again!)
RC: -11 (I did not get to the last passage, which had 8 q's)

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Are you reading the passage first?

You should start reading stuff that will stretch you a little, but you enjoy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tng11

New

Post by tng11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FutureLS10

New

Post by FutureLS10 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:15 pm

tng11 wrote:Read dense articles about stuff that's not overly interesting to you.

In my final year of UG, 3 of my courses had very dense textbooks and I made a habit of reading the chapters page to page (I used to just skim them). My RC scores weren't that great before, I would get at best -5 and sometimes -10. In addition, I've also been reading the Economist and the Scientific American front cover to back cover, no matter how boring the article was I didn't skip it.

In the last 2 months I've started getting -0 on RC and -3 at worst. You won't see results as fast as LR or LG improvements, but if you have months to spare start reading now!
Did you subscribe to the issues or read them on the Internet?

tng11

New

Post by tng11 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:33 am

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

FutureLS10

New

Post by FutureLS10 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:10 am

I'm going to markup the passages in The Economist as well, treating each passage as if it were an LSAT RC passage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

well-hello-there

Bronze

Post by well-hello-there » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:43 am

FutureLS10 wrote:I'm going to markup the passages in The Economist as well, treating each passage as if it were an LSAT RC passage.
everyone always says to read the economist which is okay as long as you don't start believing what you're reading. IMO, people who have no clue about economics like it because it makes them feel smarter.

FutureLS10

New

Post by FutureLS10 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:01 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
FutureLS10 wrote:I'm going to markup the passages in The Economist as well, treating each passage as if it were an LSAT RC passage.
everyone always says to read the economist which is okay as long as you don't start believing what you're reading. IMO, people who have no clue about economics like it because it makes them feel smarter.
I am actually an Econ major, and I understand economics quite well. Reading The Economist is strictly for my RC improvement, regardless of its content.

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 am

Currently I am using the 10 actual LSAT series books as practice, and I am just on the first book, and have been doing this for only about a week now, but I think I am starting to see some improvement. Once again besides a little gain in confidence I haven't done this enough to show definite conclusive results, but I decided instead of just drowning in reading comp passages (and since I have some time before June) for the first month or so I am just planning on doing 2 passages everyday and review my wrong answers between each passage and reflect on what I am doing wrong. Now I have typically been god awful at RC (13-17 wrong from my Kaplan diagnostics on RC which I still find pretty embarrassing), but I am happy to say that over the previous 2 days I have only missed 6 total over 4 passages. Instead of doing all the fancy marking systems I have seen different strategies advocate I have gone back to the basics and now I am just reading with the goal of understanding the passages, and underlining what I think is important to take note of. The best part besides seeing that I am getting less wrong is that today before writing this I decided to leave a timer on for each passage, and I went -2 combined on the two passages while finishing each in less then 7 minutes so by just going back to basics and not thinking about the diagramming I have restored some of my confidence, and somehow managed to cut down the time per passage. My plan for RC is to do the 2 passages a day until I finish the first 10 actual LSAT series then when I move onto #2 in the series I am going to do 4 passages every other day without much (if any) emphasis on time, and when I finally make it to the 3rd book I am going to treat every other day like its a legitimate 35 minute LSAT section. It might just be I am having a few good days, but I honestly feel more confident whenever I sit down and start my work on the passages, so that has to be worth a little something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”