9-5ers how do you motivate yourself to study Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dr123

Gold

9-5ers how do you motivate yourself to study

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:46 pm

So, I am retaking the LSAT in June and I'm having a really hard time motivating myself to study for the LSAT after work, my job involves a lot of tedious reviewing and editing of documents so when I get off work I'm so mentally exhausted that I find it hard to get myself to study. Any suggestions?

pu_golf88

Bronze

Re: 9-5ers how do you motivate yourself to study

Post by pu_golf88 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:58 pm

I've been having the same problem. I think it first starts from how motivated you are to retake though. I've noticed for me it helps if I can do something to get mind completely out of "thinking" mode for awhile. I usually go workout or play video games for an hour or so and I'm good. It helps me to have to focus on not focusing on the LSAT. If I try watching tv I just think about how I should be studying lol.

superhands

New

Post by superhands » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:04 pm

I too was working a 9-5 while studying for the LSAT, and my job description was quite similar to yours. Needless to say, studying for the LSAT was one of the last things I wanted to do after punching out.

In order to get ready, I would eat dinner before studying. I feel a bit sluggish and can't concentrate as well when my brain is running on fumes. Also, if you have the time, exercise is helpful. Make sure not to study too much to avoid burning out. I stretched out my study schedule and made sure not to commit more than 2.5 hours on the weekdays.

But I think that the key to staying motivated is convincing yourself that the LSAT is fun. If you think of it as a chore then your going to have a tough time staying on course.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm thinking a change of scenery might be helpful, if I take a leisurely stroll to the library to study it might let help me clear my mind

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:37 pm

It definitely helps me to take my mind off anything work-related for about 30 mins-1 hour after work. As someone suggested, it is really helpful to take some time to eat dinner, watch tv, go to the gym, cook, or talk to a friend for 30 mins or so after coming home. It can be really refreshing after a long day of work! Basically do something mindless to rejuvenate yourself :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:49 pm

how does studying during lunch work for you guys? I've tried studying before work, but since i go into the office at 8 most days it isn't ideal

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:10 pm

I work from 8-5. Probably around 6 by the time I get home.

As far as motivating, I did the following things:

-Keep reminding yourself of how much a difference it will make. Realize that an improved LSAT will either save you $100k+ or get you into a school that will allow you to make much more money.

-Tell your friends, family, acquaintances about your goal. This helps. You'll feel pressure to meet the goal and you'll feel guilty if you're screwing off and not working.

-Change of scenery. I work all day and if I try to study at home, I'll end up playing halo, watching tv, or letting a friend convince me to go out for a couple of beers. I almost exclusively studied at a coffee shop close by. It cost an extra $2-3 every day, but very worth it. A bonus - I think this helped get me used to ambient noises. Plus the barristas are cute and can provide a nice distraction if you're getting burnt out.

I also took a week off of work and studied all week. It was kind of a last-ditch effort to get my scores up. I woke up after sleeping for 8 - 10 hours, had a solid lunch, took a test in test settings, and came home to veg for a couple of hours, then went to a coffee shop to review every answer. I took 6 tests that week, and a bunch of other sections of tests. This was immensely helpful and probably ended up raising my score several points.

good luck.

Yeah, definitely don't study at lunch. But that's because I didn't want my coworkers to know what I was doing. I wanted to keep it a secret until I got accepted.

poi

New

Post by poi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 pm

sharpie your last LSAT score on a poster board and tape it to your wall. picture it repeated on your LSAC account page.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 pm

I worked 9-6 when I studied for the LSAT. What I did was I blocked out 3 hours after work for study. I would go home, shower, eat dinner, relax, and from 8-11 or midnight study. I did this m-f. on saturday I would study most of the afternoon ( and do prep tests). You have to cut back on your night life, but its worth it in the long run.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 am

I had to turn off my brain for an hour or two after work before I could look at LSAT crap. Work out, eat dinner, watch a little TV. Then crack the books.

Berdman

New

Post by Berdman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:22 am

The important thing is to establish a daily/weekly regiment that works for you. Your time is already constrained, so its even more important for you to be disciplined. This will not only help with your LSAT studies but your law school studies one day also.

It sounds extreme, but I got in the habit of waking up at 5 every morning to go for a run and have breakfast followed by 2-3 hours of study. This method worked for me because my brain was too fried after work and all I wanted was a glass of whiskey not dinosaurs and stain glass windows.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 am

Berdman wrote:The important thing is to establish a daily/weekly regiment that works for you. Your time is already constrained, so its even more important for you to be disciplined. This will not only help with your LSAT studies but your law school studies one day also.

It sounds extreme, but I got in the habit of waking up at 5 every morning to go for a run and have breakfast followed by 2-3 hours of study. This method worked for me because my brain was too fried after work and all I wanted was a glass of whiskey not dinosaurs and stain glass windows.
fuck stained glass windows and mauve dinos, that's the only reason im retaking

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Berdman

New

Post by Berdman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:31 am

I fortunately had logic games last which I think was better. If i had it earlier like some people, it would have completely crushed me instead of -5

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:32 am

I had it fucking first and LG is already my weakest section! needless to say it killed my confidence

accuratesite2020

New

Post by accuratesite2020 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 am

I work the midnight shift 6p-6a and I do get some time to get some LSAT work in, usually just some review. When I get home I have to go to bed. When I wake up I am in a haze, so the best thing to do is have breakfast and work-out for an hour. Do about 20-25 mins on the bike/treadmill reading the Economist or Time. This helps me warm my mind to some light reading. When I get home I shower and hit the practice for 2-3 hours straight. If I got a night off, take an hour or two off and go back at it for 2-3 hours. It helps with endurance.

Watch a motivating movie. Try Rudy or the Shawshank Redemption (My favorite). Think of yourself as Andy and when you hit top score you've seen a few times during PTS' you will be driving along the Pacific. Really, try it.

accuratesite2020

New

Post by accuratesite2020 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:25 am

dr123 wrote:how does studying during lunch work for you guys? I've tried studying before work, but since i go into the office at 8 most days it isn't ideal
Lunch break studying is tough, I try and hammer out 2 games that usually get me and then I try and pull off the review when I get to my desk if no one's around. Or I've been cutting out LR questions that are obvious after review and I missed and I look at them like flash cards. This has worked to sink problem questions in.

Skibum347

New

Post by Skibum347 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 pm

I've been wracked with a debilitating sense of complete and utter failure since graduating a few months ago. The only time I can make the stress go away is when I feel like I'm doing something about it. Studying for the LSATs helps keep my stress down. It makes it impossible for me to just hang out and chill because doing so just stresses me out, making it unenjoyable.

I don't know how helpful that is...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”