Is joining a prelaw club helpful? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
averagek

New

Is joining a prelaw club helpful?

Post by averagek » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:12 pm

will joining a prelaw club help me in any way to prepare for the lsat? i don't need a study buddy but i was wondering if these clubs share any resources with members like study plans and study materials?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Is joining a prelaw club helpful?

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Some might, others might not.

Go check it out and see.

averagek

New

Post by averagek » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 pm

i have gone to a meeting but it was just socializing with the members of the prelaw fraternity. does anyone have experience with what actually goes on once you join? i'm trying to decide whether to join or not.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Why don't you just ask current members? It will be different at every school.

theLSATnemesis

New

Post by theLSATnemesis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:22 pm

averagek wrote:i have gone to a meeting but it was just socializing with the members of the prelaw fraternity. does anyone have experience with what actually goes on once you join? i'm trying to decide whether to join or not.
What school do you attend?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Membership benefits often include a $200 or so discount for full length LSAT prep courses.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:22 pm

averagek wrote:i have gone to a meeting but it was just socializing with the members of the prelaw fraternity. does anyone have experience with what actually goes on once you join? i'm trying to decide whether to join or not.
I'd say best case they're near useless, worse case damaging. TLS is a far better resource. All i'm going on was from my school's pre-law club, and talking to the pre-law advisor.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 pm

no

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Knock wrote:
I'd say best case they're near useless, worse case damaging. TLS is a far better resource. All i'm going on was from my school's pre-law club, and talking to the pre-law advisor.
Interesting take. Personally, I say:

Best case: slightly better than useless
Worst case: slightly worse than useless (opportunity costs w/ that time, brah)

But knock yourself out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

averagek

New

Post by averagek » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:32 pm

theLSATnemesis wrote:
UNLV

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Protip: stay away from anything with pre-law in the title

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 pm

averagek wrote:
theLSATnemesis wrote:
UNLV
Good-looking student population there? It seems like the type of place that'd have hot girls.

This does impact the answer to your OP.
rman1201 wrote:Protip: stay away from anything with pre-law in the title
Or "law," for that matter.

theLSATnemesis

New

Post by theLSATnemesis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:40 pm

It depends. I know the pre-law fraternity at my school does networking with local attorneys. They have banquets and parties with them and find all members a mentor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:45 pm

I was in one and really enjoyed it. TLS is fine and all, but my pre-law club had this thing called human beings, who were a lot more fun to go and have a drink with and discuss LSAT or apps.
Like someone said, go check it out. If it is "harmful" then you are doing something wrong.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 pm

The kids in the prelaw club won't be able to teach you how to LSAT. Be a champ and learn from the internet.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:49 pm

kwais wrote:I was in one and really enjoyed it. TLS is fine and all, but my pre-law club had this thing called human beings, who were a lot more fun to go and have a drink with and discuss LSAT or apps.
Like someone said, go check it out. If it is "harmful" then you are doing something wrong.
I'm cool with this answer; I was actually serious about the hot girls question.

But this is a different type of "benefit" than the one the OP was describing. The advice that goes around pre-law circles at TTT schools is horrendous, toxic, and can in fact be extremely harmful if taken.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:50 pm

Go there for the people. Don't take their advice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Curry wrote:Go there for the people. Don't take their advice.
TITCR

Just make sure you don't waste time there you can spend racking up A's. As a soft factor joining a prelaw club is pretty worthless. Advice you can get there is probably mixed. In the end, anything you learn at a prelaw club can be readily found here on TLS

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:57 pm

flcath wrote:
kwais wrote:I was in one and really enjoyed it. TLS is fine and all, but my pre-law club had this thing called human beings, who were a lot more fun to go and have a drink with and discuss LSAT or apps.

But this is a different type of "benefit" than the one the OP was describing. The advice that goes around pre-law circles at TTT schools is horrendous, toxic, and can in fact be extremely harmful if taken.
I sat in on a 'pre-law' event at my UG... the teacher went to Vermont for the environmental law and was implying you should just find a school thats strong in what you want to specialize in.... toxic indeed.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:01 pm

rman1201 wrote:
flcath wrote:

I sat in on a 'pre-law' event at my UG... the teacher went to Vermont for the environmental law and was implying you should just find a school thats strong in what you want to specialize in.... toxic indeed.
Yeah, I think TLSers that went to HYP, etc. for undergrad (I'm speculating, but I doubt that kind of trash advice would be allowed to pass there) don't really appreciate this fact. Pre-law advisors at shit UGs are as much to blame as anyone for the survival of TTT law schools.

Rahsaan

New

Post by Rahsaan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 pm

it depends on your pre-law club. mine has provided free prep classes with prep companies and lends out lsat books.so my pre law club is beneficial to me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 pm

Rahsaan wrote:it depends on your pre-law club. mine has provided free prep classes with prep companies and lends out lsat books.so my pre law club is beneficial to me.
Is that Ornette Coleman? He's the only one I can think of who's crazy enough to do something like that.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:18 pm

I really wish i had joined the prelaw club at my school, it was essentially an lsat study group with the school fronting the bill for prep materials

Rahsaan

New

Post by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:39 am

JazzOne wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:it depends on your pre-law club. mine has provided free prep classes with prep companies and lends out lsat books.so my pre law club is beneficial to me.
Is that Ornette Coleman? He's the only one I can think of who's crazy enough to do something like that.
it is rahsaan roland kirk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUYtlMuN_V4

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:34 pm

This.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”