PS RC Bible - effective? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
wolfpack37

New

PS RC Bible - effective?

Post by wolfpack37 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey everyone,
RC really seems to be my weakness ... Just from various posts here and there, I've been given the impression that the PS RC Bible isn't as effective as the LG and LR Bibles. Considering the fact that I don't have the LG and LR Bibles, I have no basis for comparison. As such, did people who used the RC Bible find it helpful/worthwhile?

Thanks!

kapital98

Silver

Re: PS RC Bible - effective?

Post by kapital98 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 pm

I found it to be boring and almost useless. It's chapter on VIEWSTAMP is basically all you need to know. The rest of the book goes of over particular portions of RC that are common (like what the passages are usually on.) That could save you some points but it's also something you could learn through practice tests.

Then again I'm really good at RC. I don't know if it would be useful to people poor at RC.

Good Luck

*edit* I used all of the PowerScore Bibles (and the LG workbook) and found them to be very helpful

wolfpack37

New

Post by wolfpack37 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:11 pm

kapital98 wrote:I found it to be boring and almost useless. It's chapter on VIEWSTAMP is basically all you need to know. The rest of the book goes of over particular portions of RC that are common (like what the passages are usually on.) That could save you some points but it's also something you could learn through practice tests.

Then again I'm really good at RC. I don't know if it would be useful to people poor at RC.

Good Luck

*edit* I used all of the PowerScore Bibles (and the LG workbook) and found them to be very helpful
I just feel very rushed doing the RC section. By the time I start the last passage I rarely have more than 5 minutes left. Do you have any suggestions/strategies for getting through each passage more quickly?

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:46 pm

It's not that the RC Bible is of lesser quality than the other PS Bibles. It's just that RC is the least teachable of the three LSAT subjects, so an RC study aid is less likely to be an effective tool. You need to experiment to see what works. The fact that you run out of time is an important clue. Drill baby drill! Keep going through the RC sections of the PTs. You likely have heard that the older tests are of less prep value because the RC section has changed. If this is your weakest section, they will be helpful because you will gain familiarity and an intuitive sense of just what the test authors are asking of you. Pace yourself and work to cut time gradually once you are intimately familiar with the RC test structure. Official LSAC materials that discuss the structure of the test will help. The Official LSAT Handbook is available through Amazon for less than eight bucks. We have a link to it here (LinkRemoved)

Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Great post Kurst! That is very helpful :D

OP: Keep in mind the PowerScore RC Bible is $40 on Amazon. I was constrained on a budget and regretted spending money on it. If you have a lot of cash on hand it could be a very useful reference. $40 is (almost) nothing compared to how much extra cash you can get with a higher LSAT score.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Honestly, it is the least helpful of the three books. I've heard that Princeton Review and Kaplan have better RC books. Like another person said, RC is the hardest to learn and the Bible only has about a chapter of truly useful info in it. I'm getting high 160s and low 170s and aboult half the questions I'm missing come from RC. I've improved a lot more in the other sections.

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:55 pm

I've been experimenting with Eye Q with clients who have significant RC deficits and frankly am surprised at the positive results. It's definitely not for everyone and I am not associated with them in any way. I'm always looking for ways to improve RC and this seems to help those for whom RC is in significant need of improvement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Plan2008

New

Post by Plan2008 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:32 pm

I was missing about 5 on RC (without an training) until I did the PS RC bible and cut it to 0-1. Actually got -2 on Dec LSAT but that was a brain fade. I'm a moderately slow reader and I found that after PS bible, I could read faster and still maintain comprehension.

edit: The most important advice was to use ViewSTAMP to frame the passage. I would circle the tone/attitude words, underline names and dates, and annotate in columns views (AV, CV), Main (MP) Point, lists (#), and switches in direction. This allowed me to blow through it much faster with the same comp (about 2.5 minutes vs 4.0 minutes)

tjstefono

New

Post by tjstefono » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Its funny when I started thinking about the LSAT my biggest concern was the games. After practicing for a while my biggest concern is the RC section. I know the games and LR sections are just a matter of understanding and practice. But I am a naturally slow reader. I already have a MA degree, so I know how to read lots of information in a short period and being able to competently prepare for course. But 35 minutes is pushing it for me. My biggest concern is learning to read faster and up my comprehension at the same time.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:56 pm

I was doing horrible on RC so decided to power through the RC bible even though I heard it didn't help much...

I spent the entire book thinking "this isn't helping / common sense"
As soon as I finished it my score jumped up BIG TIME / I ended up beasting the RC section in October

Sooo, I guess it ended up working for me...
I believe mostly the viewstamp stuff is helpful / ended up being what I looked for.

It gave me direction in that sense, also I think their notation system is crazy, but I took a couple ideas from it and generated my own

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:35 pm

I found the book to be good reinforcement. Overall, by far the best RC strategy I have come across is simply READ THE PASSAGE TO KNOW IT. Read it as if you are interested in what you are reading and digest it as you go. Don't speed read, because you are more likely to forget what you read. However, don't read super slow either... happy medium.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Basically the bible taught me how to read it... before I was reading it trying to digest all the facts / specifics of selection. The viewpoint, argument, structure is what I ended up focusing on. You can just look back quickly for any local questions

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:46 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Honestly, it is the least helpful of the three books. I've heard that Princeton Review and Kaplan have better RC books. Like another person said, RC is the hardest to learn and the Bible only has about a chapter of truly useful info in it. I'm getting high 160s and low 170s and aboult half the questions I'm missing come from RC. I've improved a lot more in the other sections.
I agree. I didn't find it too helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”