Back up options opinion Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Taekwonthis

New

Back up options opinion

Post by Taekwonthis » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Hey guys just wondered what some opinions were on this......

I am a mature student who will be taking the LSAT 3rd time in February. My back up plan is if I do not make it into a Canadian Law School this year for September I will go and get a BA. I am currently a law clerk working in an elite firm,(business firm, corporate department) but I did not do University just a law clerk diploma from college. So for me I know that will improve my application if I cant get in now even though its a painful 7 years of school instead of 3 with law school.

The options I have for undergrad however that interest me and that I think will most benefit what I may do career wise are between

Business & Society (BA)

WAS THINKING THIS SO THAT IT WOULD CATER TO ME WANTING TO CONTINUE IN CORPORATE LAW IN A CORPORATE OR BUSINESS SETTING LIKE I AM IN NOW.

Law & Society (BA)
SOMETHING TO NOTE HERE, MY LAW CLERK COURSES GIVE ME A FEW CREDITS TOWARDS THIS PARTICULAR PROGRAM. ONLY THING IS ITS VERY GENERIC PROGRAM THOUGH YES LEANS TOWARDS LAW.

Criminology (BA) THE MOST INTERESTING TO ME OF THE THREE I AM LOOKING AT BUT FOR CORPORATE BUSINESS PURPOSES IF I CHOOSE TO CONTINUE THAT ROUTE THE LEAST HELPFUL FOR THAT PURPOSE LOL.

Which of the programs do you think would be best suited to improve an application to law school?

The only benefit I thought to the Criminal Justice BA is that I could say I have experienced corporate law through being a law clerk in this firm, and more of the social justice area of law through this courseload giving me a mix of both.

Not sure which way to go and I have to decide by February 1st which to apply to.

robotclubmember

Silver

Re: Back up options opinion

Post by robotclubmember » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:24 pm

I was unaware that any law schools accepted students without a four-year degree, but I'm from America. Either way, if in Canada you could be admitted to a law school, your chances at admission would probably be astronomically increased with a four-year degree. The GPA is far more important than the major. If your dream is law school and law school only, pick a major that interests you and that you believe you can get a high GPA in. Liberal arts majors are common for this.

How did you do on the LSAT the first couple times you took it? If you struggle with the LSAT, all the more reason to pull a high GPA (i.e., select a major that, frankly, isn't that difficult).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”