Interest Thread: Your STATE School Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
IAFG

Platinum

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I had Oregon and Virginia, both in-state. Oregon doesn't have an economy and UVA was still more expensive than NU.
Hm, how does this work---are you filing in both states?
UVA bends over backwards to let you be a resident; i was a resident for one of the two years before i applied and was a resident of Oregon for the other.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 am

mdallavis wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I had Oregon and Virginia, both in-state. Oregon doesn't have an economy and UVA was still more expensive than NU.
Depends on the school but there are several ways you can count for multiple states, and it's not just because of taxes.

Family in-state could work as well, I think
Hm---this might give me a shot at some instate lovin in VA then. Any idea of how other than filing?

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:29 am

IAFG wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
UVA bends over backwards to let you be a resident; i was a resident for one of the two years before i applied and was a resident of Oregon for the other.
Since UVA is pretty much a no go for me, how about W+M or GMU? Any idea?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:31 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote: Since UVA is pretty much a no go for me, how about W+M or GMU? Any idea?
i think they both have residents quotas and have to follow the same rules as UVA but i don't know for sure

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:32 am

Hm well I suppose I will apply to both and then figure out instate later on. If I get into any of my reaches it doesn't make a difference anyway

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:35 am

Adjudicator wrote:
NZA wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:University of Washington; best school in the entire NW and my #1 choice! Please admit me UW.
+1

I've said it before, but your avatar is the best on this forum. Probably on the entire Interweb.
Why, thank you! That is very kind. :)

Good luck to you wherever you go, but perhaps we will meet at UW someday. (I hope I even get in. Even with my good LSAT, I have a terrible GPA.)
I'm sure you'll do just fine! :)

But alas, I haven't applied to the U. Decided I needed to explore some other parts of the country. I hope I do not regret this. :P

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:05 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
rad law wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote: This from one of our most helpful posters
All of that is pretty spot-on bro namath.
Cali being a "failed state" has nothing to do with its legal market and therefore law schools (fuck, if you get rid of the "failed states" you get rid of SF, LA, NYC, Chi...)

In any case, it is the same immature sniping I see all over these boards (oh man top 25/25/45 is not a meaningful distinction etc etc---well it is on some level unless you consider UIowa and Rutgers the same level, or UW and UO)

But I forget, 1L's who have gone through the application process are massively informed about the legal world

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:12 am

University of Pittsburgh

Temple University

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

New

Post by OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:45 am

Sherrybaby wrote:Alabama.

I feel like just saying that state explains why I wouldn't go to the state school. It's Alabama.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:24 am

Oregon. I hate the Ducks, and everything about Eugene. (Guess where I went to UG.) I wouldn't go there even if they weren't ranked 83 or whatever. (Go Auburn.)

Plus I've lived here for 27 years and literally could not fill out half the questions on the residency form. I have no idea how to find half of the information they ask for. The State Department requires less proof of citizenship to issue a passport than a state school does to establish residency, which is utter bullshit. If Oregon wanted me and my 171, they would have a less retarded form. :P

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:50 am

Mexifornia. I want nothing to do with that failed excuse of a state.

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:34 am

Adjudicator wrote:University of Washington; best school in the entire NW and my #1 choice! Please admit me UW.
+1

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:39 am

Adjudicator wrote:
NZA wrote:
+1

I've said it before, but your avatar is the best on this forum. Probably on the entire Interweb.
Why, thank you! That is very kind. :)

Good luck to you wherever you go, but perhaps we will meet at UW someday. (I hope I even get in. Even with my good LSAT, I have a terrible GPA.)
You probably have very good chances...I have the same GPA and I am praying for a minimum 170 just to have a chance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:57 am

rad law wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
rad law wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote: This from one of our most helpful posters
All of that is pretty spot-on bro namath.
Cali being a "failed state" has nothing to do with its legal market and therefore law schools (fuck, if you get rid of the "failed states" you get rid of SF, LA, NYC, Chi...)

In any case, it is the same immature sniping I see all over these boards (oh man top 25/25/45 is not a meaningful distinction etc etc---well it is on some level unless you consider UIowa and Rutgers the same level, or UW and UO)

But I forget, 1L's who have gone through the application process are massively informed about the legal world
Again, thanks for the help, child.

Punisha20

Bronze

Post by Punisha20 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:58 am

Ohio State, why wouldn't I go? Well, Columbus is a cool city, just not the city for me. I really cannot see myself in Ohio for the rest of my life. Plus, I hate buckeyes fans, which may actually be beneficial since that would encourage me to spend more time on fall saturdays in the library. :idea:

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:59 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote: Again, thanks for the help, child.
If you have to ask my Cali's failed state status affects its schools and why T25 is not meaningful, you are beyond help, broseph.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:06 am

rad law wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote: Again, thanks for the help, child.
If you have to ask my Cali's failed state status affects its schools and why T25 is not meaningful, you are beyond help, broseph.
If you are in law school and have to troll an LSAT board sniping at people because you are insecure...you aren't worth helping. Enjoy being a douche. I can't wait for your blog about how bad the economy is for law school grads when you flame out miserably in interviews. Hopefully the clickthroughs will pay for your ramen noodles.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:09 am

State: Colorado

State law school: University of Colorado

Reasons I wouldn't consider it (in my current position): poor employment prospects, meager financial aid, in-state tuition is only about $8k cheaper, Boulder sucks even though CO is wonderful.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:18 am

Currently residing in NJ. State schools are both Rutgers' campuses. I am not applying to either because I currently have no intention of:

1) practicing in NJ (or eastern PA for that matter)
2) living in Camden or Newark for 3 years

Right about now I'm really missing calling Virginia home..... :(

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Re: .

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:54 am

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:54 am

starrydreamz3 wrote:Rutgers. Newark or Camden? Fuck no.

Plus, too many people trying to break into the NYC market, lots of competition from better schools.
bigkahuna2020 wrote: Me-Rutgers

I'll apply to both, but I doubt I'll go (especially considering Temple and Seton Hall will probably give me scholarships to make them far cheaper than Rutgers)
hokie wrote:Currently residing in NJ. State schools are both Rutgers' campuses. I am not applying to either because I currently have no intention of:

Didn't realize there were a considerable amount of New Jerseyans on here. I didn't apply to either because I honestly would rather take a year off than go to either school. Plus, I have no desire to live in Newark or Camden either. And most importantly, I go to Rutgers undergrad... I'm done with this school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:17 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:Rutgers. Newark or Camden? Fuck no.

Plus, too many people trying to break into the NYC market, lots of competition from better schools.
bigkahuna2020 wrote: Me-Rutgers

I'll apply to both, but I doubt I'll go (especially considering Temple and Seton Hall will probably give me scholarships to make them far cheaper than Rutgers)
hokie wrote:Currently residing in NJ. State schools are both Rutgers' campuses. I am not applying to either because I currently have no intention of:

Didn't realize there were a considerable amount of New Jerseyans on here. I didn't apply to either because I honestly would rather take a year off than go to either school. Plus, I have no desire to live in Newark or Camden either. And most importantly, I go to Rutgers undergrad... I'm done with this school.
Yea---I spent most of the last 6 years out of the country. I'm down with North Jersey anyway---I shit all over this state but it is drastically less lame than most parts of this country or others

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:36 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Concerning California again...

UC Berkeley
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UC Irvine (New!)

I still think it's worth it.
You should make a brochure. I have no qualms with UCLA if it is as high as your numbers wil take you. But you just have to study for one test to escape the UC system.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:39 am

Shooter wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:university of pennsylvania- only the business school is good.
This post fails on so many levels...

1) Penn is not a STATE school - it's private.
2) Its undergrad program is ranked 5th in the nation (equal to Wharton).
3) Its med program is ranked 2nd in the nation (higher than Wharton, lol).

Now, to be fair, sophia.olive could be referring to the undergrad business program... but if that was the case, a school could only be considered "good" if it was ranked first by USNWR. I sure hope she's getting into Yale for law school, because otherwise she'll be matriculating at some shitty TTT... like Harvard. Or Stanford.
--ImageRemoved--

I got four words for you. Needs to retire.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Re: .

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:00 am

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”