Interest Thread: Your STATE School Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vissidarte27

Bronze

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Post by vissidarte27 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:34 am

mdallavis wrote: Stupid college grades. I'm pretty aggravated with my 18-21 year old self right now.
Me freaking too.

I wish I had figured out BEFORE I finished with college that I wanted to go to law school and that my GPA mattered. Until the very end of my senior year, I thought I was going to go to grad school for music, wherein your GPA is worth about as much as a blowdryer to a whale.

What I wouldn't give for a do-over.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:37 am

vissidarte27 wrote:
mdallavis wrote: Stupid college grades. I'm pretty aggravated with my 18-21 year old self right now.
Me freaking too.

I wish I had figured out BEFORE I finished with college that I wanted to go to law school and that my GPA mattered. Until the very end of my senior year, I thought I was going to go to grad school for music, wherein your GPA is worth about as much as a blowdryer to a whale.

Why didn't you go? No jerbs?

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:47 am

joemoviebuff wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:
Me freaking too.

Why didn't you go? No jerbs?
No jerbs was one factor.

More than that, though, was the realization that I don't really want what the life of a professional opera singer entails -- too much travel (9-10 months out of the year), too much competition, the endless "not good enough" litany, the inability to leave work and work, the lack of job satisfaction, lack of real-world significance, etc. I thought I wanted that when I first started, but my priorities have changed, especially in the last year. I want stability, I want to do something significant, I want to utilize my strengths instead of beating the dead horse of weaknesses (high notes, man. High notes).

So I slacked off in college, didn't go to as much class as I should have (8am theory, I'm lookin' at you), didn't really care about my grades at all, despite having been a 4.0+ student in high school, and am regretting it now. I failed a tap dancing class for Christ's sake.

Now my only recourse is to study my ass off for the LSAT (and I am) so that I can get a 170+ to get into my top choice school. I mean, my GPA isn't atrocious (3.2), and UVA is kind to splitters, so I stand a shot if I score well and apply ED as soon as applications become available, but I wish I had given a crap about my grades in UG so that there was less pressure on my LSAT score.

Ah well. Hindsight is 20/20 and all of that.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 am

NYCcops wrote:I am in NYC so I guess my state school would be the CUNY options (city university of new york).

CUNY queens is one of the easiest law schools to get into in the country and I believe it is a tier 4.

Brooklyn College may or may not be a state school, and it is also not difficult to get in to it.

So state schools in New York City are not too great of an idea. For me it is NYU or Columbia or bust.
Or shoot for a scholarship at a less highly ranked school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”