Interest Thread: Your STATE School Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Interest Thread: Your STATE School

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:34 pm

kwais wrote: the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.
Clearly, you've been engaging the wrong people.

I have heard plenty of dumb conservative arguments against our president, but I've heard just as many dumb liberal arguments in favor of him. It's best to look beyond the likes of Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann (and, of course, those of our peers who draw inspiration from such pundits). :wink:

Rather than analyze the facts, both sides tend to make appeals to emotion.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Re: .

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:15 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:25 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
kwais wrote: the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.
Clearly, you've been engaging the wrong people.

I have heard plenty of dumb conservative arguments against our president, but I've heard just as many dumb liberal arguments in favor of him. It's best to look beyond the likes of Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann (and, of course, those of our peers who draw inspiration from such pundits). :wink:

Rather than analyze the facts, both sides tend to make appeals to emotion.
Glenn Beck makes my skin crawl.

As for Keith Olbermann...

--ImageRemoved--

'Ya heard of it?'
http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/graph?cont ... moothing=3

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:26 pm

You know who else went to Cornell?

Ann Coulter.

:lol:

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Re: .

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:40 am

kk19131 wrote:You know who else went to Cornell?

Ann Coulter.

When researching UMich Law, I discovered Ann Coulter has a JD from there and was in the top 10% of her class. I think that just confirms that she is pretending to be a dumb bitch just to sell books to the idiot masses.

Edit: She graduated Michigan in 1988. in the initial 1987 UNSWR Rankings, Michigan was 3rd behind Yale and Harvard.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:48 am

Flips88 wrote: When researching UMich Law, I discovered Ann Coulter has a JD from there and was in the top 10% of her class. I think that just confirms that she is pretending to be a dumb bitch just to sell books to the idiot masses.
Inflammatory =/= Dumb

After all, Bill O'Reilly got a 1585 on his SAT.

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:49 am

Flips88 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:You know who else went to Cornell?

Ann Coulter.

When researching UMich Law, I discovered Ann Coulter has a JD from there and was in the top 10% of her class. I think that just confirms that she is pretending to be a dumb bitch just to sell books to the idiot masses.

Edit: She graduated Michigan in 1988. in the initial 1987 UNSWR Rankings, Michigan was 3rd behind Yale and Harvard.
I agree with your theory, BUT...there are some pretty crazy smart people out there. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:04 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Flips88 wrote: When researching UMich Law, I discovered Ann Coulter has a JD from there and was in the top 10% of her class. I think that just confirms that she is pretending to be a dumb bitch just to sell books to the idiot masses.
Inflammatory =/= Dumb

After all, Bill O'Reilly got a 1585 on his SAT.
Emphasis added.

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 am

Another Pennsylvania resident, and given that I live a few minutes outside of Northeast Philly, Pitt is not on my radar and might as well be in a different state. Penn is unfortunately not public despite what a large segment of the national population might think, and neither is Penn State's law school Dickinson. That only leaves Temple and honestly Temple is a really good value. That being said, I'm going to try to aim for Penn, but who can say until I take the LSAT and get my score back.

As far the argument that Temple and Villanova are better than Penn for working in Philly, I definitely agree that it's only because of Penn students' self-selection to NYC. Most students don't go to Penn to be in Philadelphia. However, the difference is that if you are from the Philly area and have strong ties there, you should have no problem proving to a law firm in Philly that you're firmly rooted and have no plans to jump ship to NYC. The fact of the matter is that most students at Penn aren't from Pennsylvania, and it often seems that Penn doesn't want Pennsylvanians, because it doesn't want to look like a state school.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:43 pm

framboozer wrote:Another Pennsylvania resident, and given that I live a few minutes outside of Northeast Philly, Pitt is not on my radar and might as well be in a different state. Penn is unfortunately not public despite what a large segment of the national population might think, and neither is Penn State's law school Dickinson. That only leaves Temple and honestly Temple is a really good value. That being said, I'm going to try to aim for Penn, but who can say until I take the LSAT and get my score back.

As far the argument that Temple and Villanova are better than Penn for working in Philly, I definitely agree that it's only because of Penn students' self-selection to NYC. Most students don't go to Penn to be in Philadelphia. However, the difference is that if you are from the Philly area and have strong ties there, you should have no problem proving to a law firm in Philly that you're firmly rooted and have no plans to jump ship to NYC. The fact of the matter is that most students at Penn aren't from Pennsylvania, and it often seems that Penn doesn't want Pennsylvanians, because it doesn't want to look like a state school.

Penn State is a public law school.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:55 pm

kk19131 wrote:
framboozer wrote:Another Pennsylvania resident, and given that I live a few minutes outside of Northeast Philly, Pitt is not on my radar and might as well be in a different state. Penn is unfortunately not public despite what a large segment of the national population might think, and neither is Penn State's law school Dickinson. That only leaves Temple and honestly Temple is a really good value. That being said, I'm going to try to aim for Penn, but who can say until I take the LSAT and get my score back.

It is and it isn't. It's associated with Penn State, a public university, but there is no difference in in-state tuition (Dickinson used to be a private law school; I'm not sure how much Commonwealth funding it receives, given that Penn State is only "state-related"--IE, not fully public).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:03 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

It is and it isn't. It's associated with Penn State, a public university, but there is no difference in in-state tuition (Dickinson used to be a private law school; I'm not sure how much Commonwealth funding it receives, given that Penn State is only "state-related"--IE, not fully public).

Temple and Pitt are both state-related also.

All three are public schools - Penn State just, for whatever reason, doesn't give a discount to in-state students.

At any rate, Penn State is in the middle of nowhere and far away from the jobs, so I have no interest in going there...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:20 pm

kk19131 wrote: At any rate, Penn State is in the middle of nowhere and far away from the jobs, so I have no interest in going there...
Not Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster jobs, but they aren't exactly in high demand (or supply, for that matter).

chopper

New

Post by chopper » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Live in NJ, and the only public law school here is Rutgers.

I don't want to go there since the campus for the law school is in Newark or Camden; two of the worst cities in the country.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 pm

kwais wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
kwais wrote: are you really debating this? I think your avatar says all there is to say about your intellegence
Disliking Obama makes one stupid? Please, explain to me how that logic works.
the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.
a. That reasoning is flawed because it assumes that a fact that has been true in the past will continue to be true in the future, despite its likelihood to change.

b. That reasoning is flawed because it draws on a sample that is likely too small to be indicative of the larger reality.

c. That reasoning is flawed because it uses subjective judgement.

d. That reasoning is flawed because it resorts to personal attacks, rather than addressing the idea in question.

e. All of the above and more - credited answer

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:53 pm

chopper wrote:Live in NJ, and the only public law school here is Rutgers.

I don't want to go there since the campus for the law school is in Newark or Camden; two of the worst cities in the country.
I live in NJ and have NO moveability; I'm on the very fringe of possibly commuting to either Manhattan (Columbia, NYU, Fordham - but you knew that) or Philly (you know those too). Because of that, I would be foolish not to consider Rutgers at all. But if I don't get a full ride, it will be hard to justify on any level.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:37 pm

delusional wrote:
chopper wrote:Live in NJ, and the only public law school here is Rutgers.

I live in NJ and have NO moveability; I'm on the very fringe of possibly commuting to either Manhattan (Columbia, NYU, Fordham - but you knew that) or Philly (you know those too). Because of that, I would be foolish not to consider Rutgers at all. But if I don't get a full ride, it will be hard to justify on any level.
Rutgers doesn't really give full rides. Seton Hall does (and for some reason, tends to have a better rep in private practice among smaller firms in my experience)

For what it's worth

enigma09

New

Post by enigma09 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:42 pm

delusional wrote:
kwais wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
kwais wrote: are you really debating this? I think your avatar says all there is to say about your intellegence
Disliking Obama makes one stupid? Please, explain to me how that logic works.
the reality is that I have never heard a reasoned, fair critique of Obama devoid of ideological tomfoolery and soulless posturing. to make that your avatar is to celebrate the inability of this country to move forward which makes you a fool.
a. That reasoning is flawed because it assumes that a fact that has been true in the past will continue to be true in the future, despite its likelihood to change.

b. That reasoning is flawed because it draws on a sample that is likely too small to be indicative of the larger reality.

c. That reasoning is flawed because it uses subjective judgement.

d. That reasoning is flawed because it resorts to personal attacks, rather than addressing the idea in question.

e. All of the above and more - credited answer

Get owned kwais.

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:34 am

kk19131 wrote:

OK OK. So I actually go to Penn State for undergrad, so I should know better how to phrase it. Penn State is public, but the situation with the law school is weird, so as someone already pointed out, there's no such thing as in-state tuition. This takes away any of its appeal, because it really is in the middle of nowhere, and it's undergrad ranking is far superior to its law school ranking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 am

framboozer wrote:it's undergrad ranking is far superior to its law school ranking.
Both the UG and the law school are overranked (the law school much more than the UG).

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:44 am

HeavenWood wrote:
framboozer wrote:it's undergrad ranking is far superior to its law school ranking.
Both the UG and the law school are overranked (the law school much more than the UG).
I'd kinda disagree with both of you. Penn is ranked so high for UG for one reason---engineering

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
I'd kinda disagree with both of you. Penn is ranked so high for UG for one reason---engineering sports
Fixed it for you.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:49 am

HeavenWood wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
I'd kinda disagree with both of you. Penn is ranked so high for UG for one reason---engineering sports
Fixed it for you.
Jo Pa is such a great coach/institution.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”