Can LSAT please consider a CBT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Superwoman

New

Can LSAT please consider a CBT

Post by Superwoman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:23 am

This is crazy we have to wait 3+ weeks to see the results of the test...so many are literally on pins and needles. Needless to say the first time I took it it was quite difficult to take my mind off of waiting for my scores.

However, if they moved it to a CBT we can instantly get our results and they can cut down on the over head costs because they could have one test proctor for the whole test facility such as a Prometric test center.

Just a thought!!!!!

:lol:

58932ugahoige

New

Re: Can LSAT please consider a CBT

Post by 58932ugahoige » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:25 am

Disagree!

The amount of circling, marking, drawing, crossing out, etc I do on the paper increases my score by enough that the wait is worth it.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:26 am

O rly

ren2011

New

Post by ren2011 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:27 am

NOOOOOO. I'm so glad the LSAT is still a written test.

Although apparently giving us room to diagram is too much to ask...maybe they're transitioning to CBT?

angua

Bronze

Post by angua » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:10 am

Last edited by angua on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilove_toshop

New

Post by ilove_toshop » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:37 am

RC was hell when I took the GRE. All of the passages were about 80 lines of death and you had to scroll to read the entire..thing...I definitely prefer the paper version!

flannelman

New

Post by flannelman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 am

ren2011 wrote:NOOOOOO. I'm so glad the LSAT is still a written test.

Although apparently giving us room to diagram is too much to ask...maybe they're transitioning to CBT?
no believe it or not this has always been this way and it is for the same reason as when the test started. LSAC actually expects people to do Logic games in there head. And there are people out there who do it that way. Over the years however it has been proven that diagramming is a better way to do it even vs the super geniuses. But the reason LSAC could care less about the amt of space they leave is for that reason alone.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 am

flannelman wrote:LSAC actually expects people to do Logic games in there [sic] head.
And that's why they suggest you make a diagram in the test instructions themselves... :roll:

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:26 am

I would be in favor of this given that they provide scratch paper/ scratch booklet. Waiting for your LSAT score is really unnerving.

ZOMG is that a self tar?!!1?!?1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jump_man

Bronze

Post by jump_man » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:48 am

One HUGE advantage of CBTs like the GRE is that they are offered year-round. I would much rather have the option of taking the LSAT at the time of my choosing, rather than during the one day in June/October/December/February the test is offered.

Otherwise, I agree that I would rather have the option of writing on my test than being forced to answer on a computer.

TheTallOne0602

New

Post by TheTallOne0602 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:51 am

Not that it matters since I will never be taking the test again, but people tend to read around 25% slower on a computer screen (I know I do; I have tested myself). They could add more time I suppose, but does anyone really want the LSAT to be even longer than it already is, without the added benefit of there being extra time becaue you are spending it all reading more slowly?

serdog

Bronze

Post by serdog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:26 am

I don't underline for RC and I still find I lose alot of points when I do question on my Ipad

FlanSolo

Bronze

Post by FlanSolo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:48 am

flannelman wrote: no believe it or not this has always been this way and it is for the same reason as when the test started. LSAC actually expects people to do Logic games in there head. And there are people out there who do it that way. Over the years however it has been proven that diagramming is a better way to do it even vs the super geniuses. But the reason LSAC could care less about the amt of space they leave is for that reason alone.
Lolwut?
Directions: Each group of questions in this section is based on a set of conditions. In answering some of the questions, it may be useful to draw a rough diagram...
Sure doesn't sound like they "expect" people to do it in their head to me...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:14 am

invisiblesun wrote:I would be in favor of this given that they provide scratch paper/ scratch booklet. Waiting for your LSAT score is really unnerving.

... Poor girl, I have a feeling she will be this administration's Eit.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:16 am

serdog wrote:I don't underline for RC and I still find I lose alot of points when I do question on my Ipad
I don't make a single mark on an RC passage, and almost never refer back to the passage unless I know exactly where the answer I'm looking for is. I find it way too distracting and wastes too much time.

Grond

Bronze

Post by Grond » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 am

Superwoman wrote:This is crazy we have to wait 3+ weeks to see the results of the test...so many are literally on pins and needles. Needless to say the first time I took it it was quite difficult to take my mind off of waiting for my scores.

However, if they moved it to a CBT we can instantly get our results and they can cut down on the over head costs because they could have one test proctor for the whole test facility such as a Prometric test center.

Just a thought!!!!!

http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Resea ... -05-01.pdf

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:25 am

kkklick wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:I would be in favor of this given that they provide scratch paper/ scratch booklet. Waiting for your LSAT score is really unnerving.

... Poor girl, I have a feeling she will be this administration's Eit.
it was a joke, look at her profile

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:27 am

But you did check out her profile, lol.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 am

Superwoman wrote:This is crazy we have to wait 3+ weeks to see the results of the test...so many are literally on pins and needles. Needless to say the first time I took it it was quite difficult to take my mind off of waiting for my scores.

Just a thought!!!!!

+1000

They could even make the test shorter without losing reliability if they bothered to use test theory from the 1980s rather than the 1950s in the design of the CBT.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:41 am

If I had to do RC on the computer my score would drop significantly.

stargazin

Bronze

Post by stargazin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 am

I guess I'm one of few who says bring on the LSAT CBT! For all of the LSAT's insane rules (like not allowing mechanical pencils while allowing snacks, coats, etc in the room), it's still not as secure as a CBT. With a CBT (like the GMAT), you put all your stuff in a locker outside the room. Your jacket must be left outside. They check your pockets. The only thing you can bring in with you is
the plastic scratch pads they give you. There are cubicles separating people seated next to each other, etc.

There's plenty of space on the scratch pads for diagramming/notes, and it's a dry erase marker so you can erase whatever you're done with. Not being able to mark directly on the test might be harder (I would definitely have a harder time with RC also), but it would be harder for everyone. One thing that is easier is you don't have to worry about the time because the time left on a section is accurately displayed at all times. If you want to change an answer, you don't have to worry about erasing a bubble, leaving smudges, etc. You don't have to worry as much about misbubbling since the answer choices are right next to the bubbles you click on. And the obviously the writing sample would be easier to do.

Given some of the horror stories here about testing conditions, the biggest advantage of the CBT at a place like Prometric is the standardized, controlled testing conditions. You get headphones to block out any noise. It also starts right away after you get there so you're less likely to be tired from waiting 3 hrs for the test to start. Since everything's computerized, all you do when you get there is sign in with your name, take a picture, and you go in and start the exam. You skip all the personal/test information bubbling in the beginning.

However, this is probably not going to happen because I don't know how Prometric sites will be able to accomodate so many people at the same time for a test administered 4 times a year. The GMAT can be administered almost every business day because it varies the kind of questions you get depending on your performance during the exam...for example, if you get a question right, you'll get a harder question next, if you get one wrong, you get an easier question, so since no one gets the same exam, they don't release prior tests like the LSAT does. Since LSAC releases all prior tests, it's impossible to administer the test every day, which means it's impossible to fit everyone into the Prometric sites with only a few administrations a year. Yes, I've thought a lot about this topic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jump_man

Bronze

Post by jump_man » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:01 pm

stargazin wrote: Since LSAC releases all prior tests, it's impossible to administer the test every day, which means it's impossible to fit everyone into the Prometric sites with only a few administrations a year. Yes, I've thought a lot about this topic.
That's a really good point . . . I'd much rather have the option of seeing all the previous exams

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:02 pm

To be honest, I find the way the LSAT is administered today is fine. Of course I haven't been exposed to terrible testing conditions like others but there's always those types of risks. I doubt they'll change it.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 pm

kkklick wrote:To be honest, I find the way the LSAT is administered today is fine. Of course I haven't been exposed to terrible testing conditions like others but there's always those types of risks. I doubt they'll change it.
+1

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:09 pm

kkklick wrote:But you did check out her profile, lol.
:roll: I "check out" the profiles of most posters i haven't seen before

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”