Would appreciate solid advice for (perhaps?) a strange case Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kinnyb

New

Would appreciate solid advice for (perhaps?) a strange case

Post by kinnyb » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Hello everyone,
This is my first post, although I’ve been sifting through posts on the forum for a while. I want to say thanks to everyone who’s shared some really helpful advice in past, because I’ve certainly benefited.
In any case, I’m here writing to see if anyone has any similar experience to my case, or has any thoughts because I’m a little stuck and really quite uncertain as to what I should do. I apologize in advance for how lengthy it will be!
I have wanted to go to law school for a long time, which I’m sure is the violin-accompanied saga for most people on this forum but for me the prospect of attending a great LS has been a key motivator for doing well in undergrad. I went to UCSC (which for those unfamiliar with the UC system is undeniably ‘lower ranked’ than UCB), however, I’ve always thought numbers are stupid, and your education is really what you make it. I went to a very rigorous high school and wanted to surround myself with people who were less interested in the grade (and thus less inclined to cheat) and more interested in learning. I’ve met stupid people at Berkeley and very intelligent people at community colleges. That said, I when I started at 16, I declared legal studies, and got right into upper divisions with tough professors, took a graduate course, interned at the County Counsel, studied abroad in South Africa and took some great classes in their legal dept., got some great recs etc. I finished with a 3.75. I returned from Cape Town this summer, and was determined to smash the LSAT in Oct., apply early and move on; when I work hard my brain always works with me—at least that used to be the case.
On my PT I was scoring high 160s, even low 170s on a good day. Skip to October and really just freaked out, it was like a different person was taking the test. I’ve never suffered from test anxiety in the past, so this was an entirely new experience. I got a 155. I’ve yet to score that low. I didn’t cancel the score, as I was unsure of my actual performance…the whole thing was really a blur. So I got over it quickly, and started preparing for round 2 (this December’s LSAT just passed). I was doing fine, much more in control after combating my fear and then I reached games, which in my test was section 5. LG have always been my Achilles heel part of this goddamn test, and I think they were objectively more difficult this time. I’m certain it will bring down my score as I found myself guessing on too many. If it were just a difficult section and not games, I wouldn’t have entered panic mode, but it is what it is.
I don’t think my performance was worse than before, but I don’t know if I should cancel. I’ll be moving back to London to work in January (that’s where I’m originally from), so if I took the test again it would be the February administration in the UK. I have no pride about taking it again but I also am aware that the LG don’t seem to be getting more forgiving over time. I don’t want to bitch and moan, and I applaud the people who are able to deal with the test and do well. I’m by no means a genius, but I do know my own potential, and the bar is high. I want to go to a good law school, less for the name but more because I want to be in an environment in which I’ll thrive, provides me with opportunities, and that fosters the growth I know I’ve had over the years.
It would be so difficult to say bye to schools in the T15 knowing that I’m capable, but for whatever reason I am panicking on actual test day and this is a tough reality to face. So I would go somewhere like UC Hastings, I’ve sat in on classes and I’m impressed for the most part.
I suppose my questions are—would you retake in my situation? If you do have a solid GPA, great recs, a unique personal statement, if you’re an academic by day who loves fem theory and reading law journals for fun and a hip-hop/soul/ electronica DJ by night who’s Indian and Kenyan (not black) parents have moved you overseas and around the country and has a acquired a “diverse” background. I guess this part is more specific to me! But really—is there anyone on the forum who has had a nerves issue and has overcome it miraculously the third time? Maybe my 2nd test is better, but I know it’s not reflective of my abilities. Is anyone in this position? I don’t mind applying for the 2012 cycle.
Again I apologize for this longass post. I’m just a little confused :/
Cheers in advance!

Nonok

Bronze

Re: Would appreciate solid advice for (perhaps?) a strange case

Post by Nonok » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Most people perform worse on the actual test than they do while doing PTs. You should score higher on the Dec test, don't cancel. See what you get. If it isn't good enough for you, retake in June. As far as the anxiety goes, there's not much you can do. I didn't have much on Oct or Dec because I'm not sure I'm going to law school or not regardless of what I get. You, on the other hand, know that law school is what you want. The rest of your stats are amazing, if you score around 167 you could ED to UVA or a similar school and get in. If you end up getting 170+ you're looking at money at the T14.

Just take the month off, don't stress out about it, and see what you score when Dec scores are released.

kinnyb

New

Post by kinnyb » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Nonok wrote:Most people perform worse on the actual test than they do while doing PTs. You should score higher on the Dec test, don't cancel. See what you get. If it isn't good enough for you, retake in June. As far as the anxiety goes, there's not much you can do. I didn't have much on Oct or Dec because I'm not sure I'm going to law school or not regardless of what I get. You, on the other hand, know that law school is what you want. The rest of your stats are amazing, if you score around 167 you could ED to UVA or a similar school and get in. If you end up getting 170+ you're looking at money at the T14.

Just take the month off, don't stress out about it, and see what you score when Dec scores are released.

Yea that makes sense. And you think a retake in June versus February would make more sense?

Nonok

Bronze

Post by Nonok » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:28 pm

kinnyb wrote:Yea that makes sense. :) And you think a retake in June versus February would make more sense?
Yeah. It gives you more time to prepare.

kinnyb

New

Post by kinnyb » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Nonok wrote:
kinnyb wrote:Yea that makes sense. :) And you think a retake in June versus February would make more sense?
Yeah. It gives you more time to prepare.
fsho. 6 months to calm the hell down. sounds like a plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Seconding the advice above. It doesn't sound as though you have reason to cancel, and in the worst case scenario, you just have to take the test for a third time.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:12 pm

Forum advice:

Put a space between paragraphs. Your post was very hard to read.

iWayneState

New

Post by iWayneState » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:18 pm

nealric wrote:Forum advice:

Put a space between paragraphs. Your post was very hard to read.

Keep the score -

I did not read your post, I hate reading and did my reading for the month of the LSAT.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm guessing you want to practice in the U.S. but if not you could probably do well in applying to schools in the U.K. and would save yourself some money as well. Maybe you should at least keep that as an option if you don't do well on your third test. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:42 pm

Sounds like you are on the young side anyway if you started college at 16, so honestly waiting a year would probably benefit you in terms of acceptances and life experience.

Retake in June, keep this score. That's my opinion at least.

mottainai

Bronze

Post by mottainai » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Retake in June and keep the score. You said you wanted to go to Hastings, though with a 3.75 GPA you could shoot higher, and that you scored a 155 last time. Assuming you didn't bomb the other 3 sections, you probably scored higher this time around. At the very least, it'll show an upwards trend if you keep the score.

My two cents. Hope it helps.

kinnyb

New

Post by kinnyb » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:15 pm

in agreement with all of the above. thanks guys. i've definitely considered the age thing--there are days when i feel like a small child, and days when i meet adults and think i have nothing to worry about! i have thought about becoming a lawyer in england as well, but to work as an actual barrister over there is a totally different game--sort of an old boys club. still, just getting the education abroad is an option. i have some time to decide.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”