Why CANCEL LSAT if most schools take highest?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
fdr123

New

Why CANCEL LSAT if most schools take highest??

Post by fdr123 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:35 pm

I am confused about the entire cancellation rationale. In my situation I did not do so well on OCT test. So, i took it again in DEC. I completely bombed one of the sections for sure cause I got sick. But I believe there is still a possibility I scored 3 or 4 points higher, but also a good chance I scored lower. I am going to retake in FEB anyways. So, should I just not even bother with canceling or should I???Thanks for the advice.

ren2011

New

Re: Why CANCEL LSAT if most schools take highest??

Post by ren2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:42 pm

A cancel looks better than a downward score trend. If you think there's a good chance you did worse on the December exam, cancel. If the opposite is true (you believe you scored higher), then there's really no point in canceling.

goodmama

New

Post by goodmama » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:50 pm

I am in the same boat...kinda. This is my first time taking it, I was a no show in october (mistake now that I look back on it). I know I messed up major on the logic games, and really no confident in any of the sections. I don't know if it is better to cancel, re-take in June and hope I score big, or wait till I see. If it is low, I know I will improve, Its just the way I work, I am not scared of hard work. I worked very hard this time around, but was also balancing 18 credits and work.

Any advice? I am not applying to a T-30, my goal schools are Rutgers, Brooklyn (PT), UCONN.

My Face going into the test: :)

After learning the LG section I got smacked in the face was the real section: :x ... :cry:

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:54 pm

So if you actually prepared and (LG aside) felt OK about the test, and it's your first time taking, there's probably no good reason to cancel?

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Is there a definitive list of school's policies regarding LSAT retakes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SageD

New

Post by SageD » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm

I'm cancelling because best case scenario I still got 5-10 points below my pt average, and I feel I rocked every other part of the test beyond two logic games that I had an uncharacteristic amount of trouble on, and that everyone seems to agree were hellish.

Oddly, I could write an addendum that almost any school would accept (two weeks before the test I was helping take care of my wife's grandmother, who had Alzheimer's, and who then passed away-- the funeral was on Friday), but I wouldn't feel right about it, especially since I don't think it affected my performance on those stupid games.

Cancelling will still give me a shot at my dream school (NYU).

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:30 pm

My state school averages (and now my goal school) averages.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:35 pm

I kept my score from the oct test despite knowing I didn't do as well as I hoped (4 pts below pt average). It forced me to ED and not really play the field for scholarships but you might be surprised where you get in. I'm into my ED school, which was my favorite minus scholarships, and one other t14 before withdrawing the application so it might be worth keeping just to see if you get a bite.

FakeBlood

New

Post by FakeBlood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:05 pm

ren2011 wrote:A cancel looks better than a downward score trend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ren2011

New

Post by ren2011 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:22 pm

pwyoung wrote:Is there a definitive list of school's policies regarding LSAT retakes?
There's a list that TLS has: http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:26 pm

I canceled my October LSAT because I couldn't bear to have a low score on my report.

It's a pride thing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”