Alternative to cancelling? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
URMdan

Bronze

Alternative to cancelling?

Post by URMdan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:27 pm

My test room was located right next to the women's bathroom. At some point during the exam, somebody began throwing up for a good 5 minutes, and there was also noise coming from the floor above. Does this constitute less than optimal testing conditions?

rht82688

New

Re: Alternative to cancelling?

Post by rht82688 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:29 pm

I have a similar kind of question. Somebody's phone or some device that beeps went off for a good minute and the proctor's phone also went off a little bit afterward.

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm

A phone went off as well during the test. I am pretty sure that part of the procedure requires the proctor to confirm the incidents.

rht82688

New

Post by rht82688 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:36 pm

I think the proctor did write it up and that kid was dismissed from the testing center. I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do about that though. It really sucks though man....completely breaks up concentration.

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Call LSAC monday. I called them last test a month later and they said that I need to report it within 6 or 7 days

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rht82688

New

Post by rht82688 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:40 pm

I definitely will. Are you going to call them up too? What do you think could possibly happen? I really don't want this test to count against one of the three you can take in that 2 year span.

c1t1s1

New

Post by c1t1s1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Too late for me I canceled after the 3rd section & left when we were dismissed for the break so I didn’t disturb anyone. But this was my situation:
I took the LSAT today in Texas. Section one (LR) went smoothly, section two (RC) went smoothly and I was confident starting section three… The proctor pulled out her laptop and started typing all I could hear was tap tap tap… then she started conversing with another person and finally answered a call on her walky-talky. I then decided that I would cancel my score as I had spent 10 or so minutes being distracted so I was watching my watch for time to be called. Procter missed the 5 minute warning so I looked up to see what she was doing, she had dozed off so one minute before the section ended she called (5 minutes) clearly to keep from upsetting people and getting a complaint. I had already decided to cancel, so this did not benefit me as I had quit working on the section due to lack of focus from ALL of her distractions…

Question: can the proctor use a laptop, cell phone, walky-talky/radio and converse with others during the test?

rht82688

New

Post by rht82688 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:46 pm

dude that is just ridiculous. the proctor should not have a walky-talking during the LSAT. wtffff

c1t1s1

New

Post by c1t1s1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:51 pm

I just thought the whole thing was odd:

1 proctor(possibly how she would justify the walky-talky… ) She called someone right before we started to come “watch” us while she went to the restroom(a campus security guard) we had out test booklets but had not broken the seal – so I am sure that is fine.
The lecture hall with about 15 people taking the test (stadium seating) -so she could not tell what anyone was working on- obviously since she was on her laptop, talking to her friends that walked in, hell… one even brought her lunch in a Styrofoam container!
Had I ignored her distractions + 6min on the 3rd section (LR) would have been AMAZING!!!
I’m sure people that were not distracted would not breath a word about it since they got extra time; & to top it off when I decided to cancel I just “observed” others take the test… people were working back & ahead but she could not have noticed because she NEVER paid attention.

Do you know what lsac does about this? I would not want to cause someone to retake the test, although many at my center probably had an advantage if they were not thrown off by her distractions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jennamc85

New

Post by jennamc85 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Is the LSAT proctor allowed to flip through the pages of your test while you are working on it? Mine began handling the pages I was working on mid-RC. Completely killed my concentration, and there was absolutely no reason for doing so. My answer sheet was 100% visible, no clue why she would do that other than to be annoying.

c1t1s1

New

Post by c1t1s1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:56 pm

@ jennamc85

If you were at my center that would have not been an issue for you :lol:

I have looked everywhere trying to find something along the lines of a LSAT Proctor code of conduct, but have come up with nothing.

jennamc85

New

Post by jennamc85 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:58 pm

c1t1s1 wrote:@ jennamc85

If you were at my center that would have not been an issue for you :lol:

I have looked everywhere trying to find something along the lines of a LSAT Proctor code of conduct, but have come up with nothing.
Haha, while not pleased with my situation, I'm certainly not envious of yorus. I have been looking--let me know if you find anything. I'll let you know the same.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:01 pm

There really is no alternative to canceling. You can report your incidents to LSAC and they will investigate the incident. Then they will give you the option of keeping your score and letting schools know that you took it under less than optimal conditions OR they will let you cancel and take the test again for free.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:18 pm

rht82688 wrote:I definitely will. Are you going to call them up too? What do you think could possibly happen? I really don't want this test to count against one of the three you can take in that 2 year span.

If they find grounds, then they give you the option to let it slide and have it notated in the "notes" section next to your LSAT score that you took it under less than perfect circumstances and scored so and so, or they let you cancel the score and retake it at another date free of charge.

If you've taken the test twice like me, this is a great alternative to canceling outright because I can at least take the Feb test to try and get off waitlists, whereas canceling outright affords me so such opportunity.

mchuynh

New

Post by mchuynh » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:59 pm

The proctors were talking..well "whispering" the whole time behind me. I got kinda annoyed so I turned around and gave them the "look". Then the girl next to me got caught and kicked out!! I don't want to cancel, but I know I should..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”