Anybody have any advice for a slow thinker? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cp16

New

Anybody have any advice for a slow thinker?

Post by cp16 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:52 pm

I've been prepping for the lsat for awhile now. I've tried different methods to improve my scores. I've read the logical reasoning bible and logic games bible and taken almost every practice test available. It has recently occurred to me that my problem has nothing to do with knowledge regarding the test. I know the test well enough to teach a course on it. My accuracy is near 100% and this is not a result of me brute forcing my way through logic games or spending 15min on a single logical reasoning problem analyzing every word to make sure I have the correct answer. The methods I use to solve problems are all sound. My diagrams in logic games are efficient and I solve almost all problems making the proper inferences which I spot without difficulty. I usually have little trouble picking up the finer details in logical reasoning and reading comprehension that tend to make certain problems tricky or more difficult than others. My problem is that I feel like I process information slower than most people. In college for example, I would always be at the top of my class but I would also always be the last person to finish a quiz or exam. Obviously this is a huge problem with the lsat given the time constraints. If I take a practice test untimed I score 178-180 every single time. I don't even really find the material on the test all that difficult with the exception of one or two questions per test usually. If I take the test timed however, I score 150 or worse. From what I've read here on TLS it seems most people have maybe a 5-10 point drop going from untimed to timed but I'm seeing 35 point drops. I should also clarify that by untimed I don't mean I'm taking 12 hours on the test. A typical untimed test will take me 3ish hours for 4 sections. I'm just wondering if anybody else has had similar issues or has any advice. I have been diagnosed with ADHD and I'm on medication for it. My problem is not lack of focus though. I don't have to reread things multiple times or stare at questions not knowing what to do next. My mind isn't wandering or anything like that. I simply think slowly. Thanks in advance for any advice.

NZA

Silver

Re: Anybody have any advice for a slow thinker?

Post by NZA » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Saying that you can get a 180 with unlimited time is meaningless. Anyone can. :) The LSAT isn't about getting questions right, it's about getting them right on time.

What I would recommend is to,* from now, simply take timed tests. They are all that matter. Don't focus on finishing a section, focus on getting through as many as you can without losing accuracy. Then keep at it, and you'll get faster and faster.

That's all you can really do. Good luck!

*omg split infinitive

aevea

New

Post by aevea » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:29 am

It's seems like it's impossible to know objectively how fast you think compared to other people. But, I believe I also think more slowly than the average high scorer.

In order to compensate, I've tried to make time when I can. If I can nail the easy questions quickly, it gives me more time for the harder ones. So, on games, I try to make good deductions so I can avoid playing out all the possible scenarios. If I see a right answer, I often just take it and don't check the others.

For some types of arguments, I do the same. You can nail many deductive reasoning, assumption, and flaw questions by spotting the right answer rather than eliminating the four wrong answers. I don't seem to have the same pacing problems for RC. Maybe it's because I answer a lot of the questions without referring back to the passage and that saves me time.

I've also done a lot of 8.5 minute drills. You have to be really strict with cutting off when the time runs out, but if you focus on maintaining accuracy under the 8.5 minute limit, you can speed up your process.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:06 am

NZA wrote:
*omg split infinitive
Thats not really a grammatical error lol :roll:

@OP practice makes perfect. I like to think things over too but on the LSAT sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and write a few off as you go. The one thing I would suggest is to start looking for issues that might come up as you read them. I know you have been studying for awhile but my first LG section i literally didn't even finish the first game so you can improve.

cp16

New

Post by cp16 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the tips mentioned a shot. It just bothers me because I feel like I know the test much better than my scores indicate. Other people that I've studied with that score much higher than me under timed conditions always ask me for help and I always have the answer to their problems. Now I know how Hank Haney must have felt coaching Tiger Woods.

david.patel

New

Post by david.patel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:42 am

NZA wrote:Saying that you can get a 180 with unlimited time is meaningless. Anyone can. :)
That's not true. I wish I had your problem!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”