Identifying critical inferences in LG Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
fosterp

Bronze

Identifying critical inferences in LG

Post by fosterp » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:18 pm

So I am usually pretty good on logic games these days, getting less than -2 pretty much every time. However I just did PT60 and the interns game just killed me. I got to it with 11 minutes left but I still had to guess on four questions, missing them all. The problem was that I didn't identify the inferences that makes the game manageable, and just threw up my hands in frustration on every question. Even after going through the game a second time reading that there was key inferences I missed, I still didn't identify it until about 4 minutes of just messing with the diagram and drawing some hypotheticals.

This has been a similar problem of other games that should have been doable. Is there a method that helps identify how to find the not so obvious inferences that are essentially necessary?

Platinum

Re: Identifying critical inferences in LG

Post by 2014 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:26 pm

I just did the game today and had a hard time with inferences as well, and at a certain point you might have to recognize that a game is a brute force time one where you are going to have to start pounding out hypos to prove and disprove answer choices. By the end I had like 8 hypos drawn out, and while it took me probably 10-11 minutes for the game, I didn't miss any and just had to make up that time on another one.

thegarciab0y

New

Post by thegarciab0y » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:40 am

Make sure when your "brute-forcing" out hypos that you at least slash out the ones that don't work, because I've referred back to one that I forgot to cross out and ended up getting a later question wrong because I thought "oh it worked on that hypo" and circled an answer. You can also look at the crossed out ones and use them for Which one must be false questions.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:41 am

This was my LSAT. You did not have to brute force the interns game to get the major deduction.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:42 pm

sundance95 wrote:This was my LSAT. You did not have to brute force the interns game to get the major deduction.
What was the major deduction then?

And good point garcia :P

Edit- I'm an idiot. I just looked back at my sketch for it and realized that I inexplicably didn't figure out that GL had to both be in W and J had to be in P. That would have been useful... Oh well at least I got them all right regardless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”