LR: PT36, S1, Q#11 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ComatoseClown

Bronze

LR: PT36, S1, Q#11

Post by ComatoseClown » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:13 am

Perhaps you can help me with your many experiences in LR. I narrowed it down to the final two choices and then got it wrong.

Why is answer choice C less valid than correct answer choice D? Can't the phrase in the last line of the stimulus "Selected construction tools..." be interpreted as "Not all construction tools", and therefore comport with choice C, which states "Some construction tools.."?

I ruled out LSAC's correct answer choice because the stimulus says the item can't be returned for a refund of the purchase price. BUT: their correct answer choice merely says "no piece...[can be returned] for a refund." -- wouldn't it have to be more specific and at least indicate "refund of the purchase price?" There's stores out there that give half refunds. I know that's external information but it would still prompt me to choose C over D.

Anomaly

Bronze

Re: LR: PT36, S1, Q#11

Post by Anomaly » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:31 am

Here is what we know for sure:

All sale items are returnable for store credit...none of them are refundable for the purchase price. All gardening tools are on sale. Some construction tools are on sale.

(C) is not inferrable. All we know is that at least one construction tool is on sale and is returnable for store credit. But this doesn't mean that construction tools that aren't on sale (if there are any) are not returnable for store credit. Either way, we have no way of knowing.

(D) says "all gardening equipment is not returnable for a refund." This is true because all gardening equipment is on sale, which means all gardening equipment is returnable for store credit and not refundable for the purchase price.

It sounds like you were battling it out the right way (eliminating the bad one), but I think you are trying too hard to justify eliminating D. When eliminating answers, remember they are flawed in very obvious and fundamental ways. When you started making those mental leaps and assumptions (half-refunds?) you should probably have moved to C and looked for something wrong with that one.

Keep doing what you're doing though. If you can get it down to 2, eliminate the wrong one.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”