Does anyone else kick ass at LG but suck at LR? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vissidarte27

Bronze

Does anyone else kick ass at LG but suck at LR?

Post by vissidarte27 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:09 pm

I'm prepping for the February test and am starting the process of blasting through full, timed PTs (I've gone through the Kaplan book and have done several PTs in sections and untimed) and am noticing that my lowest scoring section is, consistently, logical reasoning.

For example, my test today: 1 wrong on the LG, 3 wrong on the RC, and a whopping 13 wrong on the two LR bits (admittedly, I got more wrong today than I usually do). Dragged it down a lot, obviously. (Why do there have to be two LR sections instead of two LG sections? WHYYYYY?)

Are there any materials you'd recommend reading? I see a lot of strategy books for the logic games, but not much for anything else, and my logic games skills are pretty solid (although I could probably increase my speed a bit, but I'm not super worried about that).

I know everyone else seems to think that the logic games are the hardest part, but is there anyone like me who has trouble in other areas?

Tips? Is this something that will just improve with repetition and practice?

ETA: I am, of course, going over my missed answers and trying to understand why the right answer is right and my answer is wrong. Most of the time, I'm like "OHHHHH" but it doesn't seem to help me improve.

niederbomb

Silver

Re: Does anyone else kick ass at LG but suck at LR?

Post by niederbomb » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:30 pm

No, I kick LR's butt (-0 on 4 of the last 6 sections), but LG kicks my butt. I think you're pretty typical, and I'm the anomaly.

I would highly recommend the Manhattan LSAT LR guide. Also, download the Kaplan explanations from some torrent site; then, read the explanations for EVERY question after you finish a PT. Go over every answer choice and comprehend exactly WHY it's wrong. Then cut out the questions you miss and save them for later review.

Also, this website is pretty good for scoring your tests because it breaks down your incorrect answers by typology, so you know where your weaknesses are: --LinkRemoved--

You will eventually start to notice patterns in LR, and your scores will shoot up.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 pm

For every logical reasoning question you get wrong, write an explanation including the following: the conclusion, the premises, why it is a good/bad argument, why your answer was wrong and why the correct answer is right. This might sound time-consuming but I GUARANTEE that when you start doing this, your score on logical reasoning will get much much better. Taking a bunch of tests and doing a bunch of questions won't help you nearly as much as understanding where you went wrong. I'm speaking from personal experience, this strategy which i learned here has helped me go from -10ish PER logical reasoning to about -3.

If you can't figure a question out check out this website for explanations and help. They are the best people ever for this free forum they provide and sometimes hearing/talking about questions to somone else will help you ground the material better. good luck.

tng11

New

Post by tng11 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

almostthereee

New

Post by almostthereee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:00 am

niederbomb wrote:No, I kick LR's butt (-0 on 4 of the last 6 sections), but LG kicks my butt. I think you're pretty typical, and I'm the anomaly.
+1

*High Five* for us analytical retards!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Same shit with me.... -0 or -1 on LG... -10 to -15 on LR

thegarciab0y

New

Post by thegarciab0y » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Same. It comes to the point where your score depends on an almost perfect LG score. But I have been doing what lakers3peat said for the past 3 weeks or so and I really am deveoping a solid understanding for LR.

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:11 pm

also, try answering your questions on a separate sheet of paper then when grading, don't write the correct answer, merely mark it with an X. THEN go back to every question you got wrong and try to solve it again; if you STILL get it wrong, then that means you need to pay extra special attention to it by reviewing it frequently.. those questions you go back and get right, they are worth reviewing but sometimes you kind of know you made a dumb mistake, probably because of time, and I don't think they should be the focal point of your studying.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:58 pm

This was very true for me and I found (after reading the bible and doing lots of Qs) that I was narrowing it down to two and getting it wrong most the time. So what I set out to do was figure out exactly why one answer was right and one was wrong between the two, even when I ended up picking the right one. I found this to be a huge help and ultimately went -2 on LR in Oct (normal -12-14 prior to this strategy). HTH, good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks, y'all. I took your advice and spent some time this week examining the wrong answers, writing why the correct ones are correct, etc and I think it helped. Took a PT this afternoon and only missed 5 total LR questions, for a final score of 174 (as opposed to last week's 166).

Who knows if it'll stick, but I'm definitely happy to see the improvement.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 am

That's some intense improvement right there, congrats! and thanks everyone for the tips and resources in this thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”