Advice for LR Assumption Questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
arm5149

New

Advice for LR Assumption Questions

Post by arm5149 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:08 pm

Any advice is appreciated...

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Advice for LR Assumption Questions

Post by tourdeforcex » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:22 pm

i'll try to help out.

i'm assuming that when you ask about LR assumption questions you are referring to questions like the following: "which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?" or "which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?"

the way i approach these question is first by understanding the stimuli really well, especially the argument. generally, the arguments will be very strong statements like "Novelists cannot become great as long as they wear green." this is a strong statement because the wearing of green precludes a novelist from becoming great. thus, in the answer choices, you need to find the choice that precludes that condition completely. usually the answer will work with another premise to do exactly that.

another piece of advice is to be aware of the very general or vague answer choices that are just statements. usually these are not the answer. when they are asking about a specific assumption that is required, usually a general statement won't bring you there.

hope this helps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”