Someone please help me understand this Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Diiizzzzoooo

Bronze

Someone please help me understand this

Post by Diiizzzzoooo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:37 pm

I don't get it.

During my prep, I am very consistent in both the reading comprehension and logic games sections, missing at the most 5 between the two. I have focused my study primarily on the Logical Reasoning section over the last two months, and have done over 800 questions. My review is pretty intense with respect to those questions I miss, yet I am still averaging 6 wrong on each section. My main problems seem to be with assumption and flaw questions, but this doesn't mean that I haven't tanked on other types.

Has anyone experienced this kind of split? What would seem to be the issue here? I am hoping it isn't some sort of deficiency; this is supposed to be a "learnable" test. I am definitely frustrated.

ams

New

Re: Someone please help me understand this

Post by ams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm assuming you have already gone through the Logical Reasoning Bible? I would go back and re-do the sections about the question types you missed. Also try to identify what types of mistakes you are making, and see if you can find any patterns, like choosing the same type of distractor answer.

The LSAT Logic in Everyday Life podcasts helped me with LR. You might try it. http://www.radiotpr.com/lsatpodcastfeed.xml

Also, if you can get to the point where you are consistently -0 or -1 on LG this may help mitigate the fact that you aren't quite as strong in LR. FWIW, I think you're on the right track. It can be frustrating, but keep working and you'll get there! I'm interested to here other suggestions on this as well.

Diiizzzzoooo

Bronze

Post by Diiizzzzoooo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 pm

ams wrote:I'm assuming you have already gone through the Logical Reasoning Bible? I would go back and re-do the sections about the question types you missed. Also try to identify what types of mistakes you are making, and see if you can find any patterns, like choosing the same type of distractor answer.

The LSAT Logic in Everyday Life podcasts helped me with LR. You might try it. http://www.radiotpr.com/lsatpodcastfeed.xml

Also, if you can get to the point where you are consistently -0 or -1 on LG this may help mitigate the fact that you aren't quite as strong in LR. FWIW, I think you're on the right track. It can be frustrating, but keep working and you'll get there! I'm interested to here other suggestions on this as well.

Thanks. Yes, I've read the book twice, and I've yet to find any specific pattern in my wrong answer choices. I have also listened to the podcasts, and I imagine I just haven't absorbed it yet. With respect to LG, I have yet to get more than 1 wrong over the last 20-25 PTs. RC usually falls around -2 to -4.

A friend of mine actually had an interesting opinion on this. He suggested that I might be getting in my own way by thinking too hard about each question. LG and RC don't necessarily invite you to form your own thoughts about answering the questions, since everything is found in the work. I am going to try a couple of timed sections using just instinct and seeing if maybe I can get closer to solving this problem I have.

ams

New

Post by ams » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:19 pm

I think that's a great idea. I got to the point where I almost instinctively knew the right answer. To me it's kind of like a puzzle, one answer choice just fits the stimulus. Over-thinking it could be a definite possibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”