Best way to improve LSAT score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
trayball23

Bronze

Best way to improve LSAT score

Post by trayball23 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:15 pm

got a 162 in Oct retake in Dec. any tips

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Best way to improve LSAT score

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Difficult to offer advice without any information as to your prior preparation for the LSAT. What was your original LSAT score & how did you prep for each test sitting ?

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:24 pm

i did a lot of timed full test... went from 155 to 162 with a 169 as my high... almost never finish all 4 games.... have issues with parral reasoning questions... OCt went -8 RC -5 LR -6 LR -6 LG i believe i don't remeber nu my raw was 78. I dont usualy do that poorly on RC its usualy my strength

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:26 pm

First thing you'll want to address is games since it is most learnable. Did you ever buy the bibles? Buy the LRB and LGB. They'll improve your speed.

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:13 pm

bought the LG bibe is the LR one or RC worth it ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:20 pm

The LR one's a good general overview. You mentioned that you did lots of PrepTests for your October prep. Did you do anything to prepare for October in terms of learning techniques?

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:20 pm

trayball23 wrote:bought the LG bibe is the LR one or RC worth it ?
LR one is worth it

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:30 pm

I took the testmasters course

odoylerules

New

Post by odoylerules » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:45 pm

trayball23 wrote:got a 162 in Oct retake in Dec. any tips
I got a 162 too, on the June test. I had taken about 10 practice tests in preparation, and learned some LG strategies from a Kaplan prep book. My prep scores ranged from 163-171.

Then I got a 178 in October. This time I bought all of the materials on LSAC, the LR and LG bible, and bought tests 39-60.
The first thing I did was to study the LG bible and practice all of the logic games through the first two prep books, tests 9-18 and 19-28 (or something like that.) Then I studied the LR bible, and did the same thing. I didn't begin studying RC until the 30's. By the way, I read the RC bible, but it wasn't necessary, the LR bible will actually give you pretty much all you need to know.

Aside from the RC sections, I completed every single test. I spent about 4 hours a day studying, and I would post questions I didn't understand on forums, and if I had free time but didn't feel like taking a test, I'd try to answer questions on the forums as well. When I was a month and a half out, I only took 5 section tests, I turned off my cell phone when taking them, I downloaded LSAT cacophony for when I was in my room, and I usually took tests in crowded coffee shops. I typically took 4-5 in a week.

Nerves was a factor for me, so one thing that really helped was finding a study partner who would take tests with me. Just sensing their nerves for the first couple tests really threw me off, but after practicing with it I felt much more comfortable. I also took 4 practice tests in the actual room I was going to be testing in. My last 6 practice tests averaged 178, with a 180 a week before the test. My earlier tests averaged 172, ranging from 166-177.

You can probably raise a 162 maybe 7 or 8 points in a month, if you're taking the December test. I would wait until February or June, and apply next year, so you can fully prep for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:27 pm

thanks for the advice looks like you really busted your ass thats awesome... one question what is LSAT cacophony

odoylerules

New

Post by odoylerules » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:00 am

Type it in on google, its an mp3 you can download to simulate a test experience. It's got a 5 minute warning and some background noises. And yeah, I was pretty motivated after the 162, it was a bit of a wake-up call.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:04 am

Yeah nice job to penguin guy.

I scored a 162 on Oct. and am preparing for February as well. Goal: 170.

LG are finally starting to feel 'natural' and I feel a confidence I didn't have prior to Oct.

LR is worrying my though, I typically score -2 to -5 but I would like to be consistently getting -1 or so. There tend to be one to three questions on a given section that kind of stump me, and how well I guess on those questions seems to determine the outcome for me.

My 162 was particularly discouraging because I had taken about 30 preptests. I diag'd at 159 and my high was 172, average was 165. I think skipping over the LRB was a big mistake because I was never able to make the hurdle on LR.

Parallel reasoning questions seem to get me pretty often. I didn't find the LRB discussion on these very helpful. What do you guys think?

odoylerules

New

Post by odoylerules » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Yeah the LRB drops the ball for parallel reasoning. The best advice I could say is to pay really close attention to how the premises relate to the conclusion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:46 pm

for parallel, watch the stregnth of the words in the conclusion. If the stems conclusion says some, may, or could- then the credited response will have something similar. Same for the direction and tone. They have to match. You can eliminate one or more choices right off the bat by doing that. For the rest, you need to do some diagramming ( again watchi the stregnth of the language and make sure it matcehs exactly) in both the stem and answer choices. These problems arent that hard, they just take a lot of time to do.

this worked for me on both parallel and parallel the flaw. Although there are 2-3 of these questions total on the exam, so if you are still struggling, save them for last.

Cmoss

New

Post by Cmoss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am

LR is 50% of the total score focus there, the RC will come back the second go around (no first time jitters)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”