Is there a quick way to do Type 1 (Must Be True) questions? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SupraVln180

Silver

Is there a quick way to do Type 1 (Must Be True) questions?

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 pm

I am set on knocking out questions 1 minute max at a time. When I hit must be true questions in LR, especially with the long stimuli, it takes me like 3 minutes to dissect all the info. I find myself going through each answer choice and reading the stimulus over (which is a no-no). Does anybody have a quick and effective approach to these questions?

incompetentia

Gold

Re: Is there a quick way to do Type 1 (Must Be True) questions?

Post by incompetentia » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Must Be True = assumption questions?

calvmpv

Bronze

Post by calvmpv » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 pm

incompetentia wrote:Must Be True = assumption questions?
No, not assumption...I might not be remembering it correctly but it's the question that gives you a bunch of facts and then the question stem is something like "If all of the above are true...which one of the following must be true?"

Sorry though, those also took me forever so I don't know if there's a faster way of doing it.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Oh, these. I don't seem to remember terribly many of these in more recent tests, but yeah, they were kind of annoying.
I don't know how much diagramming helps you, OP, but if the stimulus confused me at all I'd start drawing things out, and that seemed to help.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Strict logic -> diagram statements, conclusion and their contrapositives.

Regular premise must be true POE is the best way I think. It does take time though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:35 pm

yeah, it just sucks, when I'm in a zone running into one of these almost always breaks my concentration.

emseeaych

New

Post by emseeaych » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:44 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I am set on knocking out questions 1 minute max at a time.
I feel like that may be an unrealistic goal. Some questions are a lot harder than others. As long as your average time is low enough that you finish all the questions with time for bubbling, you're fine.

That said, diagramming the conditionals and contrapositives definitely helped me on those questions too.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:57 pm

think to yourself what must be true :), answer, profit

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:02 am

SupraVln180 wrote:yeah, it just sucks, when I'm in a zone running into one of these almost always breaks my concentration.
Skip them. Come back to them at the end. I think this is helpful because the "must be true" questions (or "inference" questions, as I call them) require a fundamentally different procedure from the other question types. For most of the questions (i.e., strengthen, weaken, flaw, assumption, etc.) you need to identify the conclusion and the flaw of the argument. I find it difficult to change gears when I get to an inference, so I do them all together after I've completed everything else. Inference questions usually entail logical deductions, so I treat them like mini game. I try to internalize the statements, diagram them if I need to, and determine what else I can deduce by combining those statements. The answer is usually some articulation of the deduction. However, there are some inference questions where the correct answer is merely a paraphrase of one of the statements in the argument. If the statements don't seem to be interrelated, then I start looking for an obscure paraphrase of something that was given in the argument.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:06 am

emseeaych wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I am set on knocking out questions 1 minute max at a time.
I feel like that may be an unrealistic goal. Some questions are a lot harder than others. As long as your average time is low enough that you finish all the questions with time for bubbling, you're fine.

That said, diagramming the conditionals and contrapositives definitely helped me on those questions too.

That's not my goal, thats what I do currently, I'm just saying that these Type 1 questions break my stride so to speak. I like to always have time at the end to check over everything, that's why I am so set on this. Then again, I only got a 163 on the October test and missed 14 on LR combined and only 5 on RC and LG combined. So there may be a problem with my approach to LR.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:10 am

JazzOne wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:yeah, it just sucks, when I'm in a zone running into one of these almost always breaks my concentration.
Skip them. Come back to them at the end. I think this is helpful because the "must be true" questions (or "inference" questions, as I call them) require a fundamentally different procedure from the other question types. For most of the questions (i.e., strengthen, weaken, flaw, assumption, etc.) you need to identify the conclusion and the flaw of the argument. I find it difficult to change gears when I get to an inference, so I do them all together after I've completed everything else. Inference questions usually entail logical deductions, so I treat them like mini game. I try to internalize the statements, diagram them if I need to, and determine what else I can deduce by combining those statements. The answer is usually some articulation of the deduction. However, there are some inference questions where the correct answer is merely a paraphrase of one of the statements in the argument. If the statements don't seem to be interrelated, then I start looking for an obscure paraphrase of something that was given in the argument.
I will give this approach a shot. It does help get in the mindset when you can group a difficult question type together and just knock them out at the end in one shot.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:45 am

SupraVln180 wrote:That's not my goal, thats what I do currently, I'm just saying that these Type 1 questions break my stride so to speak. I like to always have time at the end to check over everything, that's why I am so set on this. Then again, I only got a 163 on the October test and missed 14 on LR combined and only 5 on RC and LG combined. So there may be a problem with my approach to LR.
Do you really finish the LR section in 25-26 minutes? Why would you go so fast unless you were consistently getting them all right?

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:09 am

suspicious android wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:That's not my goal, thats what I do currently, I'm just saying that these Type 1 questions break my stride so to speak. I like to always have time at the end to check over everything, that's why I am so set on this. Then again, I only got a 163 on the October test and missed 14 on LR combined and only 5 on RC and LG combined. So there may be a problem with my approach to LR.
Do you really finish the LR section in 25-26 minutes? Why would you go so fast unless you were consistently getting them all right?
B/c I do worse on the section if I don't have time to check my answers back over.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Funny, I was just drilling this type today.

If the stimulus has a conclusion, look for a paraphrase.

Otherwise, you have to grasp the argument well and go POE.

itstime

New

Post by itstime » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:17 pm

What is a POE?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”