dumbfounded to see my score... IDK WTF happened Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DoctorLaw

Bronze

Re: dumbfounded to see my score... IDK WTF happened

Post by DoctorLaw » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just quit. Low 152 on a good day isn't even worth trying. That is unless you didn't prepare for the LSAT. In which case you are a dumb ass and you should start studying for Feb right now.
Can you please tell me what would be considered the killer preparation for the feb test? how many Pts to knock out and which books to use, I have all the test masters books and RC and LR Bibles

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:10 pm

DoctorLaw wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just quit. Low 152 on a good day isn't even worth trying. That is unless you didn't prepare for the LSAT. In which case you are a dumb ass and you should start studying for Feb right now.
Can you please tell me what would be considered the killer preparation for the feb test? how many Pts to knock out and which books to use, I have all the test masters books and RC and LR Bibles
Take all the Practice Tests.

Do all the Bibles.

And do a few other textbooks for good measure.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:12 pm

I'd ask (and pay for?) a hand scoring of your LSAT if that is what happened!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:15 pm

minnbills wrote:
DoctorLaw wrote:

Do all the Bibles.

EVerything but that last line.

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
minnbills wrote:
DoctorLaw wrote:

Do all the Bibles.

EVerything but that last line.
May i ask what was your first ever score? and your last score?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:28 pm

I spent three days feeling sorry for myself a year ago when I got a 157 on the October test after I'd been diligently practicing for the last three months and averaging a 165. Test day anxiety and spicy food the night before lost me sleep the night before the test. After the third day, I registered for December and went right back to studying. At first I was continuing to get 166's and 167's, then it just kept going up, until I nabbed a delightful 176 on one of my last PTs. My continued diligence and determination netted me a 170 in Dec '09. There were few things sweeter during my application process than writing an addendum explaining my 13 point jump.

You've allowed yourself enough time to bitch and moan about the score. Now hit the books again (all I used was the Bibles and 35 official PTs), and bring that motherfucker up. Don't "aim for 150's because I highly doubt I'll get in the 160s or 170s," shoot for a 180. I allowed myself to plateau before the October test because I was content with a 165. It didn't even occur to me to shoot for a 180 until after that test, as dumb as that sounds. It's difficult, but you can understand this stuff enough to get a fantastic score, and you'll thank yourself for your efforts when your school of choice accepts you with a hefty scholarship instead of not accepting you at all.

HTH

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:32 pm

DoctorLaw wrote: May i ask what was your first ever score? and your last score?
On PT's or the real thing?

PT my lowest score was 165, highest 178.

On the real thing, 176.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:32 pm

Holy shit DF, what happened to your post count? I swear you were over 13000 last time I noticed. Did one of the mods fine you several thousand posts of TLS cred for being an asshole? (No offense.)

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:35 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:I spent three days feeling sorry for myself a year ago when I got a 157 on the October test after I'd been diligently practicing for the last three months and averaging a 165. Test day anxiety and spicy food the night before lost me sleep the night before the test. After the third day, I registered for December and went right back to studying. At first I was continuing to get 166's and 167's, then it just kept going up, until I nabbed a delightful 176 on one of my last PTs. My continued diligence and determination netted me a 170 in Dec '09. There were few things sweeter during my application process than writing an addendum explaining my 13 point jump.

You've allowed yourself enough time to bitch and moan about the score. Now hit the books again (all I used was the Bibles and 35 official PTs), and bring that motherfucker up. Don't "aim for 150's because I highly doubt I'll get in the 160s or 170s," shoot for a 180. I allowed myself to plateau before the October test because I was content with a 165. It didn't even occur to me to shoot for a 180 until after that test, as dumb as that sounds. It's difficult, but you can understand this stuff enough to get a fantastic score, and you'll thank yourself for your efforts when your school of choice accepts you with a hefty scholarship instead of not accepting you at all.

HTH
Thank you for sharing your experience!! I am going to bookmark this thread and go back to it whenever I am loosing motivation... Thanks alot to everyone!! for boosting my confidence

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:37 pm

cubswin wrote:Holy shit DF, what happened to your post count? I swear you were over 13000 last time I noticed. Did one of the mods fine you several thousand posts of TLS cred for being an asshole? (No offense.)
They deleted BP

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:40 pm

I didn't do too well either but I'm not going to let it affect me emotionally. Just stay positive and listen to your elders.

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

On the real thing, 176.
I started with my first PT ever in my life with a 134.. after studying with testmasters, I went up to my final PT to 149... this was for about two months and I quickely wanted to take the test as I was fresh out of the class.. didnt think I would drop a substantial points... I shouldve cancelled my score but took the risk and got the fruit for it

In all Honesty... I am better sitting in class reading about a topic studying the chapters and getting As on midterms and finals, But this test is whole another ball game... I read soo many people on here start off with a 160+ pts and end with a 170+ actual test.... and I am sitting here thinking about if I chose the wrong path as a career... I won't complain about my failure but to study once again and learn from my mistakes and give it another shot..

You guys can mock me about my score as the lowest for your standards but I guess any criticism is welcomed...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:51 pm

DoctorLaw wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

On the real thing, 176.
I started with my first PT ever in my life with a 134.. after studying with testmasters, I went up to my final PT to 149... this was for about two months and I quickely wanted to take the test as I was fresh out of the class.. didnt think I would drop a substantial points... I shouldve cancelled my score but took the risk and got the fruit for it

In all Honesty... I am better sitting in class reading about a topic studying the chapters and getting As on midterms and finals, But this test is whole another ball game... I read soo many people on here start off with a 160+ pts and end with a 170+ actual test.... and I am sitting here thinking about if I chose the wrong path as a career... I won't complain about my failure but to study once again and learn from my mistakes and give it another shot..

You guys can mock me about my score as the lowest for your standards but I guess any criticism is welcomed...
If you scored below your PT average you need to retake.

But if you really can't beat low 150's you aren't getting into a school worth attending, and you'd be better off doing something else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Part 1 of my post: Motivation: Schools that will let you in with an LSAT in the 150s will NOT average your score, so for all intensive purposes you can consider this exam a wash and move on with your life as if you just decided to test in Dec.

Part 2: Whether you think we're just pretentious or not, the schools to are applying for are not great schools, or even good ones by most logical cost-benefit standards. By all means, apply and attend, but please only do so if you seriously research and can accept the current employment opportunities available at such a school.

overunderachiever

Bronze

Post by overunderachiever » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:08 am

^nice avatar. So that's how mauve looks like...

Retake. I'd aim for Feb. or June.

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:09 am

mst wrote:Part 1 of my post: Motivation: Schools that will let you in with an LSAT in the 150s will NOT average your score, so for all intensive purposes you can consider this exam a wash and move on with your life as if you just decided to test in Dec.

Part 2: Whether you think we're just pretentious or not, the schools to are applying for are not great schools, or even good ones by most logical cost-benefit standards. By all means, apply and attend, but please only do so if you seriously research and can accept the current employment opportunities available at such a school.
What would you say is the "low range" of scores on the LSAT that would still be competitive as a gateway for starting jobs in the 50k/year range?

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:28 am

I think most schools where you can GET a job will end up in a range around that. You can GET a job at any school... there's no school out there that's graduating 300 lawyers who all end up unemployed... It's a matter of HOW MANY people get those jobs that's important, and that really comes down to each school and individual markets that they serve. The fact of the matter is, even great schools in the 20-30 range of the rankings are leaving some of their graduates without meaningful employment as lawyers in this economy. You ask me for an LSAT that guarantees a worthwhile school, and I can't tell you that. It comes down to how risk averse you are when considering the school/loans/opportunities given up.

If you want a number, all I can give you is what I would settle for: I personally wouldn't attend a school who has medians below the high 150's, with some exceptions for schools that don't face much competition in their markets. But that's just me. I would absolutely refuse to attend a school where there's a major chance I could be unemployed at graduation (above 20%). That's also considering that by doing so I don't take on more than my annual salary in debt. You could have a totally different set of life circumstances, preferences, and goals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:36 am

did you see the post where they said if you clearly misbubbled they will correct for that? I'm not sure if that's accurate but it's worth calling and asking. If all your LG games answers are moved down one and you get them all correct you might do ok.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:44 am

OP anything below 150 is not acceptable for law school. You need to do well on this test to get into a decent school. You say that english is your second language, so you need to get a firm handle on that, which will force you to study longer to get to where you need to be ( if you can get there) Not everyone can score a 160 or better, even on a practice test. If you really want to be a lawyer, you will have to study more effectively for a longer period of time than most people on this site. You may even have to sit out a cycle or 2 ( and start applying in the fall of 2012). If you are willing to do this, then perhaps its for you. if not, then maybe you have to do some soul searching. If you want study advice, seek out pithypikes 6month guide to the lsat, and start your june prep now

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:13 am

If its any motivation, my first PT ever was 148, and i'm now PTing in the mid 170s. I didn't know how to do LG initially so that section went to hell. And I have problems with reading comprehension in general that I am just starting to overcome. LR was the only section that kept me from failing too miserably at first.

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:16 pm

fosterp wrote:If its any motivation, my first PT ever was 148, and i'm now PTing in the mid 170s. I didn't know how to do LG initially so that section went to hell. And I have problems with reading comprehension in general that I am just starting to overcome. LR was the only section that kept me from failing too miserably at first.

whats study methods you used to go up to 170s on ur pts.. and how long did they take u to where u are today..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:17 pm

I ahve decided to stay away from the test and apply for the next cycle, willing to knock out some books and practice qs.. with pts.. and take th test in JUne or october...

thanks to all for their info

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:57 pm

DoctorLaw wrote:I ahve decided to stay away from the test and apply for the next cycle, willing to knock out some books and practice qs.. with pts.. and take th test in JUne or october...

thanks to all for their info
Remember that you can burn out on prep. Just because some is good, more is not necessarily better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”