Atlas Reading Comprehension Guide Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Atlas Reading Comprehension Guide

Post by crysmissmichelle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:16 pm

I saw one person recommend this book, the Atlas RC Guide. Does anyone else have anything great to say about it?

I just got a 164 on the October test and most of my missed questions were on that section and tend to (on newer PT's) to be in that section. . . .I've already used the Bibles and everything in the way of free online resources available. . . .I need just a few questions improvement.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Reading-Com ... 538&sr=8-1

doubleL

New

Re: Atlas Reading Comprehension Guide

Post by doubleL » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:21 pm

Good question, I'd like a response as well. Powerscore RC bible better?

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:54 pm

I thought I liked the RC Bible, but in the end, I read the thing, worked all of the exercises, and missed the EXACT same number on the Oct 2010 LSAT as I did on the Sept 2009 LSAT and improved the other sections. . .

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:22 pm

I've done both.

Content wise Atlas is superior.

However, it is considerably shorter than the RCB. They cover the same things but RCB has more example passages.

If I had to select one or the other I'd go with Atlas. I buy prep guides for the content and strategy rather than practice problems. Get 1-20 grouping to practice on and you should perform amicably on the the real deal.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:31 pm

I am a full supporter of Atlas LSAT. Their strategy guides are some of the best I have seen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Someone deleted their post with a time management question.

The RCB and Atlas have two very different strategies for time management.

RCB is geared towards the masses on RC.

Atlas deals almost specifically with 170+ testing strategies. While they can be used by anyone the people who will benefit the most will be in the upper 50% of testers.

Atlas's timing strategy is probably the best for picking up points. It's similar to their timing suggestion for logic games, that's the most I'll say. It's worth picking up if reading comp is giving you problems. You'll still need about 20 RC sections to practice on though. It won't come to you over night like games might.

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:52 pm

I was amazed by how little content the Powerscore RC bible actually...definitely not worth even five bucks. Atlas, on the other hand, presents an actual strategy...not a formula for how to notate the passages, not a tip like "read the economist for 6 years to improve your reading comp," but an actual strategy that was effective for me. ...can't recommend it enough.

I don't know why so many people swear by powerscore when there is other material, material that if given merely a cursory glance, is obviously superior. Powerscore is just riding on its reputation while other companies are busy surpassing it.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:I was amazed by how little content the Powerscore RC bible actually...definitely not worth even five bucks. Atlas, on the other hand, presents an actual strategy...not a formula for how to notate the passages, not a tip like "read the economist for 6 years to improve your reading comp," but an actual strategy that was effective for me. ...can't recommend it enough.

I don't know why so many people swear by powerscore when there is other material, material that if given merely a cursory glance, is obviously superior. Powerscore is just riding on its reputation while other companies are busy surpassing it.

Totally agree. Atlas LG and RC are far superior to PS. Infact, their LR is pretty close to beating PS (it does in many areas) but after the revision coming out of it I expect it to shame PS.

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:00 pm

I really feel like the PS LG and LR Bibles did their job effectively. . . I just did not quite get there with RC. Thank you guys for the feedback!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doubleL

New

Post by doubleL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:06 pm

Just received my atlas reading comprehension strategy guide. Here's to hoping it helps!!! (Any suggestions of comments about other materials?) I have actual prep tests on the way as well.

cw2010

New

Post by cw2010 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 pm

The Atlas RC guide is excellent. The main issue I have with the PS RC bible is the classification system of questions. By putting so much emphasis into precise question classification, I think it can detract the focus from the core concepts. But nevertheless, the PS RC bible contains some great tips. It helps you organize your approach with the VIEWStamp approach and annotation techniques.

I'm a quarter through the Atlas RC guide and am finding every page to be very helpful. In particular, the PEAR approach and the passage annotation section has been tremendously helpful. The biggest thing so far is the constant attention on developing a consistent, strategic approach to reading the passages and attacking the questions. Although the PS RC bible gets into this, I can already tell that the Atlas guide is helping me to really fine-tune my approach and make it more consistent. I'm using the Atlas guide on a daily basis as I review questions to further perfect my methodology.

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Thank you guys. Let me know how you do on real sections after you finish it. I'm going to put it on my "Christmas list."

cw2010

New

Post by cw2010 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:30 am

I missed 3 of the RC questions on the Oct 2010 LSAT but my RC fluctuates a lot. I'm planning on being consistent where I miss no more than 1 or 2 RC questions.

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:24 am

I have one that I never used from last Dec. If anyone wants to buy it, PM me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”