Should I retake in december? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
xqhp82

Bronze

Should I retake in december?

Post by xqhp82 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:55 pm

I got a 163 in the October test and it falls within my PT average (around 160-166). However it's not exactly the score that I need to get into my target schools. I'd be happy to end up at most T-20-40, but of course it'd be much better if I could get into the T15-25, and at least secure a place within the T-40s, with a few more points. I've already exhausted all the study materials so the best I could do is probably to keep doing PTs until december if I am to retake...but with schoolwork piling up etc., I'm not sure whether I can keep up the same LSAT momentum as I had during the summer. Also I don't like the idea of having my applications reviewed after January...I think a lot of offers will be made by then?

I'm weighing between the possibilities of 1)getting my apps in now, and risk not getting into any T-40 I want, and 2) ED to a school in that range with the highest chance and pray for the best, and 3)retaking, but getting the same/lower score in december + delayed apps. What is the better choice??? I'm really confused now and I need to register asap for december...

p.s. my GPA doesnt really count because I'm a foreign applicant. But I probably meet the median/75th percentile for most schools from T15 onwards...

Sandro

Gold

Re: Should I retake in december?

Post by Sandro » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:10 pm

I got a 164 October. A 165/166 would make me golden at my target school. Same situation as you. I'm leaning towards just applying, seeing where I get in, and using Feb to possibly get off the waitlists....

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:10 pm

REtake but not sure if Dec is the right time. Depends on what you need to improve!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:52 pm

I'm at 162 right now but I have a 3.98 LSAC GPA (After this quarter it'll be over 4.00, woot for A+ being 4.33 gps), combat experience in the Army, graduating with highest honors with a 30 page thesis, etc... so I'm not too worried. I think it all depends on what kind of softs you have. If you are a 163/3.6/nothing else then it'll be hard to justify to your target schools that you deserve to be there or bring something unique to their school.

OP, I would go for option 1 and 2 split. Apply to everywhere you planned to apply to, and ED at the closest school you match with that you can ED to, keeping in mind your focus on what makes you different from anyone else with a low to mid 160 LSAT score who is applying.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I got a 164 October. A 165/166 would make me golden at my target school. Same situation as you. I'm leaning towards just applying, seeing where I get in, and using Feb to possibly get off the waitlists....
Yeah, I'm leaning towards that as well, really annoyed by the fact that I'm constantly on the borderline of EVERYTHING arghhh.

Actually feb LSAT may not be a bad idea - are we going to find out whether we are on the waitlists before then? but on the other hand, having a 4 month break in between the two tests is probably no good as well, but I guess I will feel more determined if I know for sure I'm on the waitlist.

I tried putting my numbers in LSN and Wisconsin came out as the only 'strong consider'....the rest of the T25-40 are all wishy-washy 50-50 chance:(
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I'm at 162 right now but I have a 3.98 LSAC GPA (After this quarter it'll be over 4.00, woot for A+ being 4.33 gps), combat experience in the Army, graduating with highest honors with a 30 page thesis, etc... so I'm not too worried. I think it all depends on what kind of softs you have. If you are a 163/3.6/nothing else then it'll be hard to justify to your target schools that you deserve to be there or bring something unique to their school.

OP, I would go for option 1 and 2 split. Apply to everywhere you planned to apply to, and ED at the closest school you match with that you can ED to, keeping in mind your focus on what makes you different from anyone else with a low to mid 160 LSAT score who is applying.
My softs are not brilliant or anything but definitely not nothing...I guess my international background does help a bit. I studied in different countries and speak 3 languages, also did quite a bit of community service/development project in Africa. No proper work experience though besides a part-time and an intern.

Also, would you recommend me to apply to part-time programs at GULC/GWU/Fordham? I'd be really happy if I can get into any of those...and possibly transfer to FT later...but would the lack of WE hold me back?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:12 pm

pppokerface wrote:REtake but not sure if Dec is the right time. Depends on what you need to improve!
I'd love to find out what I need to improve but sadly my test is undisclosed. From what I can tell, I probably got -0 in LG and -9 in RC and -12 for LR. I think that's a pretty standard pattern of my PTs, but during the test I was really caught off-guard by the different style of LR...I've never felt this uncertain before. So I guess LR is the part that I need to improve on the most..RC, on the other hand, is just hopeless.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:05 pm

Hmmmm now I'm thinking about ED-ing to one of the following schools...which one looks the most sensible??

UCLA (yeah wild reach but I think ED does help a little bit?)
UIUC
Minnesota
Fordham (PT/FT?)

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:20 pm

I really want another shot at the LSAT. I had probably the worst thing happen to me (ID went missing before test, had to drive across states to get it and got back with 1 hour to spare) and scored my PT low, bombing both LG and LR while doing awesome at RC on 2-3 hours of shoddy car sleep.

What I dont want to happen is retaking in Feb, scoring 2-3 points higher than 164, and still being stuck on a waitlist I would have otherwise gotten off of if I took in Dec...

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:30 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
What I dont want to happen is retaking in Feb, scoring 2-3 points higher than 164, and still being stuck on a waitlist I would have otherwise gotten off of if I took in Dec...
Yea, this is something I fear as well...is it possible to do the same thing in Dec?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”