Practicing Art passages Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
autobanh

New

Practicing Art passages

Post by autobanh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:38 am

Hey guys,

I've been PTing for my Dec. test, and found out that my RC score really depends on the topics of passages.
I feel pretty comfortable with econ,politics, or science passages, while it takes a lot of time to go through art/art history passages.. maybe cuz never I've been an art person in my life.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me to practice for passges of such specific topics?
I've been subscribing to the Economist, which is a good dense material, yet it isn't even remotely close to art or art history.

Thanks!

carpquiet

New

Re: Practicing Art passages

Post by carpquiet » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:57 pm

If you want something that will make art RC seem refreshingly straightforward, pick up a copy of Artforum next time you're at B & N.

Traciela

New

Post by Traciela » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Our GROUPED by Passage Type book breaks up the RC sections from PrepTests 1-20 into chapters by type. One of those chapters is on Art passages. You can "Search Inside" the book on Amazon to see if this is what you're looking for. (Also, our More GROUPED by Passage Type book will be out at the end of the month.)

If you already own extra PrepTests, you can use this link to identify which ones contain Art/Artist passages: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/re ... rized.html

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Kind of redundant to do this. You may or may not get an art passage on the Dec LSAT. You should be focusing on improving your RC score in general. Read more. Read everything you can. Read newspaper editorials. Read boring books. All that dense stuff becomes second nature after a while.

Good luck!

greg737

New

Post by greg737 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:43 am

I, too, was in your situation. Then, just some simple advice really helped me.

One of the things it said in the Powerscore book was to just attack every passage just as hard as the others, regardless of the topic. Basically, instead of looking at an "art" passage and going "holy crap I hate this" just be confident in your markings and reading ability and go from there. That really helped me get over the hump in RC, to inconsistent (15 to 20) to where I was routinely at 23 or better.

There is just a mental block in your head. The subject shouldn't matter. If you can do well on a hard science passage, you can do well on a hard history passage. It's all the same skills.

Anyway, thinking like that helped me out a bunch. Good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”