. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:15 am

F
Last edited by jd20132013 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forward

Bronze

Re: If a question is dropped and you got it right are you basica

Post by forward » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:16 am

No. If it's removed from scoring, it's as if it never existed in the first place.

However, that question seemed to have an obvious answer. I'm not quite sure what the fuss is over. I doubt it will be removed.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:21 am

forward21 wrote: However, that question seemed to have an obvious answer. I'm not quite sure what the fuss is over. I doubt it will be removed.
+1. People were also speculating about removing other questions, such as car theft and Shakespeare.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:21 am

im_blue wrote:+1. People were also speculating about removing other questions, such as car theft and Shakespeare.
Yeah, if any question were to get removed from this test, it would be one of those two.

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:24 am

Adjudicator wrote:
im_blue wrote:+1. People were also speculating about removing other questions, such as car theft and Shakespeare.
Yeah, if any question were to get removed from this test, it would be one of those two.
Shakespeare over car theft for sure. I don't see the dispute regarding car theft.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:25 am

tazmolover wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
Shakespeare over car theft for sure. I don't see the dispute regarding car theft.
Car theft is straightforward if you read it right, but I do think it is pretty confusingly worded.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:26 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Those questions were good. Hamlet was wierd. It had a common sense answer which messed with my head. I have never seen a blatent common sense answer on the LSAT before. But it clearly did have a credited response. Oh and I also got tripped up by car theft, circled it and moved on. Upon coming back I realised, the same as you, that one of the answers was poorly worded and actually made total sense. In fact, I even thought to myself when I first looked at the question that that answer choice was the only good one but if it said the opposite of what I thought it said...of course, it did say the opposite and a last second switch made me feel better about that.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:29 am

car theft and shakespear just required a little mind jump, nothing that LSAC hasnt asked test takers to do in the past. No way these get removed....

Hamertime79

New

Post by Hamertime79 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:34 am

My bet would be on either car theft or the strangers question, it seemed like my only choice was to put a "least worst answer" for those.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

super6

Bronze

Post by super6 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:37 am

jd20132013 wrote:basically just screwed out of that edge?

I'm sure this won't happen but people were saying in other topics that they believed that the antibiotic question would get dropped.

I don't see why it would but lets say it was dropped. Do you get any benefit from having gotten it right
Assuming you're talking about my comment you're putting WAY too much faith in ability to both remember that stimulus completely and determine what gets dropped. The stimulus, as I remember it, has 2 possible answers to the stem, the choice I picked was one of those, so I know for sure one of those possibilities was there but I don't remember if the other was or not. If the other possibility was there then I could see the potential to dispute it. Once the test gets opened (btw, do we have to wait until after the 6-day cancellation window or until it's published to discuss it?) then I'll be able to read what it actually was and rethink.

tl;dnr - I don't know what I'm talking about.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:42 am

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

IBThatGuy

New

Post by IBThatGuy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:59 am

The car-theft question, once you read the correct answer the whole way through, is indisputable.

I think the antibiotics question leaves more wiggle room, but I'm afraid to say that there's probably a reasonable line of thought behind the correct answer (unfortunate for me, since I think I got it wrong).

The Shakespeare-abridged question was absolutely terrible. I don't know the odds of it being dropped, but I think it should be. How does the LSAC determine that? Percentage of candidates who get it right? Number of complaints? Evaluation of arguments/objections in those complaints?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:19 am

jd20132013 wrote:basically just screwed out of that edge?

I'm sure this won't happen but people were saying in other topics that they believed that the antibiotic question would get dropped.

I don't see why it would but lets say it was dropped. Do you get any benefit from having gotten it right
Yes. They give you the point, but don't penalize people who got it wrong. It's just one of the ways LSAC makes life a little rosier...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:24 am

IBThatGuy wrote:The car-theft question, once you read the correct answer the whole way through, is indisputable.

I think the antibiotics question leaves more wiggle room, but I'm afraid to say that there's probably a reasonable line of thought behind the correct answer (unfortunate for me, since I think I got it wrong).

The Shakespeare-abridged question was absolutely terrible. I don't know the odds of it being dropped, but I think it should be. How does the LSAC determine that? Percentage of candidates who get it right? Number of complaints? Evaluation of arguments/objections in those complaints?
+1

etown989

Bronze

Post by etown989 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:23 am

In June the question that was removed nobody even remembered. Everyone was focused on the penguin, rock band, or other complicated ones. If one gets removed it will most likely be one that we are not discussing b/c we all thought it was easy and got it right.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:34 am

I think LSAC only removes questions that are actually logically flawed in some way. It has nothing to do with number of complaints/number of people who get it wrong.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:39 am

plenipotentiary wrote:I think LSAC only removes questions that are actually logically flawed in some way. It has nothing to do with number of complaints/number of people who get it wrong.
....yes. This is clearly true but what causes them to review questions post-exam? They spend over a million dollars making the exam and checking it 3 times, so why in the aftermath do they decide to remove questions that they said were good during the 3 checks?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:42 am

IBThatGuy wrote:The car-theft question, once you read the correct answer the whole way through, is indisputable.

I thought the Shakespeare question was literally the easiest one on the entire test, and one of the easiest questions out of all the 30+ PTs I did. It was like unexpectedly running across a question asking 'what is 2+2'? (Which would have been even more out of place on the LSAT, but that doesn't mean I'd suddenly become unable to add single-digit numbers.)

I don't remember the car theft question beyond the fact that it existed, but I do remember the antibiotics one. It seemed to have a fairly straightforward answer as well (once I read it about 3 times to get it straight in my head), although nowhere near as obvious as the Shakespeare one.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:42 am

AverageTutoring wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:I think LSAC only removes questions that are actually logically flawed in some way. It has nothing to do with number of complaints/number of people who get it wrong.
....yes. This is clearly true but what causes them to review questions post-exam? They spend over a million dollars making the exam and checking it 3 times, so why in the aftermath do they decide to remove questions that they said were good during the 3 checks?
Someone points out the logical error? I don't think it's about the number of complaints, but the substance of the complaint.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:15 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:
Someone points out the logical error? I don't think it's about the number of complaints, but the substance of the complaint.
My problem with this is that there are 177,000 students taking the exam, most of which are woefully unprepared and likely to complain, and to sift through every complaint to find reasonable objections would take an army of men. Then again, I have never tried to read 100,000 complaints so I don't know how long it would take. Maybe it takes a day? But even still, it is highly unlikely that a test taker could re-construct a given stimulus, question stem and answer selection in enough detail to sufficiently identify an inherent logical flaw...I know I couldn't. I can barely remember my answers.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:24 pm

My understanding is that the big red flag to LSAC is when the top scorers struggle a great deal with a particular question that lower-range scorers get at not-insignificantly greater rate. They expect the reverse, but they trust the top scorers.

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I remember a similar thing happened after the June test. Many people here (myself included, admittedly) thought the fourth LG (interns) was poorly worded and that it could lead to misinterpretations of the rule. We thought that "field" referred to the locations and not to the field of study for the interns.
Long story short, we caused a big shitstorm on TLS but when the test came out, it was clear that we had just done a bad job of reading the rules and had no right to complain. I feel it will be a similar situation when this test comes out. Car theft, Shakespeare, antibiotic, etc will all be much more clearer and logical when we have the entire stimulus in front of us instead of trying to piece it together on here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”