Nerves Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eliekedourie

Bronze

Nerves

Post by eliekedourie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Did anyone else have a problem with nerves? I took the test in June 2010 and had no such problem. I wasn't as well prepped and got a 167. Since June I've prepped like a madman, taking 52 PTs and averaging 174-175 with 6 180s. I was well prepared. When the test began, I had a LR section first and I had the worst time focusing. By question 3 my mind was racing and I was completely freaking out. I banged my head against a metaphorical wall for a few minutes and then moved on past question 4 to question 5 where I was able to calm down and focus. I went through the rest of the section and had time to go back to questions 3 and 4. However, I have NO IDEA how I did on the section. It was a real blur. I remember moving comfortable from questions 5-21 or 22, but the brick houses question messed with me. My nerves kept me from being able to focus on the formal logic questions.

Did anyone else have similar problems? I wish I had some idea of how I did, but given the blur that the first LR section was, I have no idea. I'm confident about by car theft, hiring, and shakespeare LR questions, and I think I nailed the real LG (I had an insanely easy experimental LG), but that first LR section could have been a disaster or fine. I really have no idea.

I hate not being able to predict my score...

sidhesadie

Bronze

Re: Nerves

Post by sidhesadie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:16 pm

Yes, I did. I seem to have completely blacked out during LG. I have very little recollection. The bubbles were filled in when I was done but I only remember ONE question from all four games. Not one from each, ONE total. The rest is completely blank.

emseeaych

New

Post by emseeaych » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:18 pm

eliekedourie wrote:Did anyone else have a problem with nerves?
Yes. Granted, this was my first LSAT. But yes, very much so. Especially with LG.

ffonsok

New

Post by ffonsok » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Damn dude i remember one about high blood pressure and life expectancy, but nothing about nerves. Maybe it was your experimental?

emseeaych

New

Post by emseeaych » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 pm

And,
eliekedourie wrote:I hate not being able to predict my score...
Yeah. Me too. Terrified for October 29/November 1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 pm

I have problems with my nerves, the best way to overcome this is to over plan. Weeks before the test I already had my 1 gallon zip-lock bag packed, tissues, sharpened pencils, medicine,...everything. I wrote out a plan for the test day:

5am wake up/shower
5:30 check out of hotel
5:45 arrive at cracker barrel
6:30 pay for my meal and leave
7:00 arrive at test center
7:15 do warm up problems
7:45 finish warm-ups and go to the restroom
8:00 - 8:25 walk around campus reciting my favorite poems that I have memorized

I know that this ridiculous amount of planning seems neurotic, but when you know know know that you have planned for single every possible situation...you will be calm. I knew what music I was going to listen to. I knew that I was going to avoid conversations with worriers at the test center. I knew I wasn't going to log on to tls the night before and read some shit that would make me panic. When you know that everything is going according to plan, then you can approach the test with a confidence supreme.

At the beginning of college I had really bad test anxiety, and this is how I overcame it...by over-planning for test day. It worked like a charm for me...even if my wife thinks I am a huge dork...
Last edited by longdaysjourney on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Same here. I could barely remember the topics of the four passages in the RC. I only remember two questions from that section.
I remember a handful of the LR questions, and when I first walked out of the test, I couldn't remember ANY of the games. Since then, I've looked through posts here and now have some recollection, but still don't remember much of the specifics.

I freaked out for a good 3-4 minutes during the RC (this was my first section). I really wish that hadn't happened, since then I would have had some time to return to questions that I was unsure of. Oh well. :/

rso11

Bronze

Post by rso11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

emseeaych wrote:
Yes. Granted, this was my first LSAT. But yes, very much so. Especially with LG.
Ditto.

Destined

New

Post by Destined » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:25 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:I have problems with my nerves, the best way to overcome this is to over plan. Weeks before the test I already had my 1 gallon zip-lock bag packed, tissues, sharpened pencils, medicine,...everything. I wrote out a plan for the test day:

5am wake up/shower

I know that this ridiculous amount of planning seems neurotic, but when you know know know that you have planned for single every possible situation...you will be calm. I knew what music I was going to listen to. I knew that I was going to avoid conversations with worriers at the test center. I knew I wasn't going to log on to tls the night before and read some shit that would make me panic. When you know that everything is going according to plan, then you can approach the test with a confidence supreme.

At the beginning of college I had really bad test anxiety, and this is how I overcame it...by over-planning for test day. It worked like a charm for me...even if my wife thinks I am a huge dork...

WAIT WAIT WAIT.....cracker barrel is open that early?!?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Destined

New

longdaysjourney wrote:I have problems with my nerves, the best way to overcome this is to over plan. Weeks before the test I already had my 1 gallon zip-lock bag packed, tissues, sharpened pencils, medicine,...everything. I wrote out a plan for the test day:

5am wake up/shower

Destined

New

5am wake up/shower

Destined

New

5am wake up/shower

Destined

New

5am wake up/shower

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Destined

New

5am wake up/shower

WAIT WAIT WAIT.....cracker barrel is opened that early?!?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:25 pm

ffonsok wrote:
Damn dude i remember one about high blood pressure and life expectancy, but nothing about nerves. Maybe it was your experimental?
Really?

emseeaych

New

Post by emseeaych » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:27 pm

longdaysjourney wrote:I know that this ridiculous amount of planning seems neurotic
Nope. I wish I had planned as thoroughly as you did. Granted, I had a rough plan, packed my ziploc the night before, etc...but still.

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Destined wrote:

5am wake up/shower

WAIT WAIT WAIT.....cracker barrel is opened that early?!?
Not usually, but it was the penultimate day of the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games so they opened at 5 instead of 6.
Last edited by longdaysjourney on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 pm

Yeah nerves played a role. I didn't get enough sleep the night before either, which certainly contributed. I could hardly keep my breakfast down on the drive over to the test center.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:36 pm

I was really nervous before the test. But once it started all nerves I felt before turned into focus. I experienced what Tim Galleway, the author of the Inner Game of Tennis, calls a "still mind". However, my focus did drop after the break due to tiredness and possible crashing from 5 hour energy, but not substantially so.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:37 pm

Ragged wrote:I was really nervous before the test. But once it started all nerves I felt before turned into focus. I experienced what Tim Galleway, the author of the Inner Game of Tennis, calls a "still mind". However, my focus did drop after the break due to tiredness and possible crashing from 5 hour energy, but not substantially so.
I crashed during the 3rd section a bit, post break was fine though.

kilgoretrout103

New

Post by kilgoretrout103 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:38 am

I had the same problem. I felt totally prepared, but when I came in and saw that hard LR section right off the bat, I had to second guess myself. I remember I even skipped the first question because I didn't see the answer immediately. That's supposed to be a gimme!

So for me, it was nerves coupled with a bitch of a first section. Maybe the OP had the same first LR section I did?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:43 am

Aside from totally blanking on my SSN for about 30 rather scary seconds, my nerves just helped me focus. In between sections my hands were shaking and I kept cracking my neck and trying (unsuccessfully) to stretch out the massive knots under my shoulder blades, but my concentration during testing was great.

Tainted_Praise

Bronze

Post by Tainted_Praise » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:52 am

I was really nervous... And shuffling feet of the two proctors who decided that it was necessary to walk around the room at the same time..... Didn't really help the situation either.

Korlath

New

Post by Korlath » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:45 am

I felt good throughout the whole LSAT for the most part. Then I got to my last section (LGs) and I completely freaked out. I don't know why either...Everything felt good. I don't remember a lot of it.

AverageTutoring

Bronze

Post by AverageTutoring » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:50 am

Too be honest...I was more nervous about the exam and my score in the 2/3 months leading up to Oct 9th. On the night of I slept like a baby and during the exam I was very cool. That said, I think this worked against me because I didnt have a sense of urgency. I didnt have an impending...oh MY GOD must do super well! No...it was a robotic process. Not good.

Now, of course, I am shitting myself lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”