cancel or try the luck? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kjustin

New

cancel or try the luck?

Post by kjustin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:25 pm

I took the Oct test for the first time and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should cancel it.
I usually scored mid to high 160s on my pts.
On the real test, I ended up guessing (blind guess, not educated ones) more than what I usually do on PTs but felt pretty good about the ones I got to finish.
I guessed them all with answer choice D. I heard it has the best chance of being the right answer. believe it or not.

I had RC-LG-LR-LG-LR combination.
RC - 7 of the 8 last questions (all on one passage)
LG - experimental section
LR - blindly guessed last 3-4
LG - last 4 questions
LR - again, last 5 questions

I usually don't have any issue with timing except for RCs but this time it hurt me on all of the sections.

I know I've blindly guessed quite a few questions but I feel somewhat good about the questions I had finished on time.
I'm willing to leave the score as long as its around mid to high-160s and I don't think it will hurt my application either although I'm shooting for 170
I don't think it's a bad idea to see how I've done on a real test before I prepare for another one. But on the flip side, I'm extremely worried that I might have done terribly bad.

Should I cancel or try my luck?

Pls. give honest and considerate advice.
Thanks.
Last edited by kjustin on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ragged

Silver

Re: cancel or try the luck?

Post by Ragged » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Don't cancel. Even if you miss all of the ones you guessed on you'll still end up with 163-165 depending on the curve.

cornell

Bronze

Post by cornell » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:37 pm

Ragged wrote:Don't cancel. Even if you miss all of the ones you guessed on you'll still end up with 163-165 depending on the curve.
Are you kidding me? The OP guessed on about 19 questions. Given the fact that they were uneducated guesses, chances are all of them could be wrong. I don't wanna tell you to cancel or keep your score, but realistically I don't think you'll hit your target. Unless you are absolutely sure that you got everything else right.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Wow... that's a lot of guesses. I'm sure you hit on some of them, but I'd be surprised if you nailed every question you answered/felt good about. Whichever way you decide, definitely retake in December (or next June) and work on timing.

ziggie

Bronze

Post by ziggie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:03 pm

I wouldn't cancel. I was in a similar situation when I took the June '10 LSAT. I had to guess on about 4 LGs, and that was my strongest section (usually -0/-1), guessed on a couple of LRs per section and on about 7 RCs. I felt horrible after the test because timing had never been that big of an issue, but I didn't cancel and ended up missing 22, got a 163. Maybe you'll benefit from a generous curve like I did.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”