to cancel? (misread rule artifact game) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
thecynic69

Bronze

to cancel? (misread rule artifact game)

Post by thecynic69 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 am

I am debating canceling, since I apparently misread a rule in the artifact game. Hypothetically, if someone missed an "or more" part of a rule in a game, should they be super worried? Before admins pounce on this, this post has validity outside of a discussion of specific content of the October 2010 LSAT. To miss an "or more" part of a rule matters mainly for must be true and must be false questions, since you are essentially looking at a subset of all possible scenarios; anything that could be true or could be false on your wrong reading of the rules must be able to be true or false respectively on the correct reading of the rules (and assuming you can find a valid answer choice, you are therefore safe). I'm asking for an opinion as to whether exposing yourself to the risk of missing only 50% of question types warrants cancellation.

Despite this being a legit question in my opinion, it'd probably be best to keep any discussion of it off the forums. I'd really appreciate a PM from someone, bonus points if you happen to remember the artifact game well (since you'll know what I'm talking about immediately, and will be able to advise me more efficiently).

The other relevant piece of information is that without this mistake, I think I hit my target score, or was maybe a point or two above it. So if this mistake only costs me 2 points, that's fine. I can even live with -3 because of it. But minus 5-6 would be unacceptable.

Thanks in advance!

cinefile 17

Bronze

Re: to cancel? (misread rule artifact game)

Post by cinefile 17 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:42 am

It would be more helpful if I knew your target score. Also, are you applying this cycle.

In general, I bet that misreading that rule would have caused you to miss 1 or 2 in that section at most. Maybe only the "must be true" questions. So unless you were aiming for very high in the 170s or have taken the LSAT a cycle early, I don't think you should cancel.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:43 am

I remember the game quite well. Each rule. I definitely think you shouldn't cancel for one rule, especially if you feel like you are close to your target score. Missing it could have cost you 2 or 3, but that's it, maybe less.
Canceling is really a drag. It sucks to start over.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:50 am

Target score, 175. I know I got at least -1 LR. I was uncertain about a couple more, so we could call it -2/-3 combined LR. Fairly confident -0 RC, but possibly -1. Should have been -0 on the other three games. Toss in a couple more dings for things I got wrong but just completely didn't realize, and -3 to -5 is a range im fairly confident in. But then you throw in games...I'm okay with a -5 to -7 range. that certainly doesn't warrant cancellation. but -7 to -11 would.

And yes, I'll be applying this cycle.

P.S.
I realize that the scores I mentioned are good, and I don't want to be read as complaining. But I know I could have done better, and the differences between the above scores can realistically affect my chances at admission to my reach schools.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:57 am

Jesus I don't remember this rule at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

littlepixie11

New

Post by littlepixie11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 am

thecynic69 wrote:Target score, 175. I know I got at least -1 LR. I was uncertain about a couple more, so we could call it -2/-3 combined LR. Fairly confident -0 RC, but possibly -1. Should have been -0 on the other three games. Toss in a couple more dings for things I got wrong but just completely didn't realize, and -3 to -5 is a range im fairly confident in. But then you throw in games...I'm okay with a -5 to -7 range. that certainly doesn't warrant cancellation. but -7 to -11 would.

And yes, I'll be applying this cycle.

P.S.
I realize that the scores I mentioned are good, and I don't want to be read as complaining. But I know I could have done better, and the differences between the above scores can realistically affect my chances at admission to my reach schools.
I think you should only cancel if you really bombed. Realistically from what you are saying, you could be canceling a high 160s score, which gives you a good chance for a T14 school like Cornell. I would only cancel for 150s or maybe low 160s.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:02 am

The Gentleman wrote:Jesus I don't remember this rule at all.
Perhaps you made the same error I did =X. What worries me is that a game can be engineered to keep people who make ithis mistake from realizing it. In general (I am not suggesting this is true specifically of October 2010), if you make a mistake such as this, and you choose a lot of a's and b's, it is worrisome since the correct "must be true" or "must be false" will appear later, and while both a and e must be false on your wrong reading of the rules, a could be true on the correct reading of the rules, and so you incorrectly choose it, never even getting to see the other possible answer.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:06 am

I would definitely want to cancel a score in the 160's. While it is an excellent score that might allow me admission to a lot of great schools, it would not get me into the schools I want to go to. And given that I have no reason to think that a score in the 160s reflects my abilities (my lowest full length PT score was 174), I feel I'd be better served by retaking.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:07 am

Whatever, if I boned it, then I boned it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:08 am

Well let's just say I misread this rule initially and it cost me like 3 minutes.

Also to guy who pm'd my pm limit has been reached =/
Last edited by tazmolover on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:12 am

The Gentleman wrote:Jesus I don't remember this rule at all.
You're not the only one...

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:13 am

I am pretty sure that the OP is making me stroke out for no good reason.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:15 am

I believe the rule was "at least"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:19 am

ya and it was not on the artifacts game

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:20 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:I believe the rule was "at least"
sounds like you remember the game well...have any advice for me? :)

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:22 am

Wait. Was artifacts game the last one? That's the one with "at least" rule.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:23 am

The Gentleman wrote:ya and it was not on the artifacts game
oh, that is entirely possible! let's do it this way...what sort of problems would this cause on a linear game with at least 7 variables (this fact is important, since for linear games with certain small numbers of variables and slots, the mistake is moot...e.g., 4). once again, none of the above features are meant to convey information about specific facts of a game on the october lsat.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:24 am

So if you think you are around -7 (just to pick a number towards the middle) that will probably get you around a 174 depending how it is scaled. It seems a little dumb to cancel a score that is above every single law school in the country's median. Granted, I don't know your GPA so maybe you have to compensate for that but still. Even on the low end, -11, you are looking at a 170 not spectacular but it will get you in to a lot of schools and a second, higher score will give you a boost for the top 6. Just don't apply there before your second score.

grover23

New

Post by grover23 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:25 am

The Gentleman wrote:ya and it was not on the artifacts game

what game was it on?

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:26 am

tazmolover wrote:Well let's just say I misread this rule initially and it cost me like 3 minutes.

lame about your pm limit...would you be open to chatting a bit? if so, send me a way to contact you through PM.

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:29 am

AreJay711 wrote:So if you think you are around -7 (just to pick a number towards the middle) that will probably get you around a 174 depending how it is scaled. It seems a little dumb to cancel a score that is above every single law school in the country's median. Granted, I don't know your GPA so maybe you have to compensate for that but still. Even on the low end, -11, you are looking at a 170 not spectacular but it will get you in to a lot of schools and a second, higher score will give you a boost for the top 6. Just don't apply there before your second score.
agreed, i wouldn't cancel a -7. but this error on games could potentially be -6 for all I know, and if that were somehow the case, it'd def be safer to cancel...

also, my gpa and other relevant info is in my profile. if you think it would inform your judgments about this, feel free to consult it, but i think it biases the judgments against cancel/retake since my other stats are strong...but really, a low 170's lsat score is going to radically change my odds at H/Y, for example...regardless of my GPA/race/etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:44 am

Freaking out now. I definitely don't remember an "at most" rule on the artifacts game.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:47 am

tazmolover wrote:Well let's just say I misread this rule initially and it cost me like 3 minutes.

OMG THIS! Thankfully I was only on the 3rd question when I caught my mistake. I would have been totally SCREWED

thecynic69

Bronze

Post by thecynic69 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:47 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:Freaking out now. I definitely don't remember an "at most" rule on the artifacts game.
don't freak, apparently i might have remembered incorrectly...i posted a description of a hypothetical game type tho...you might consult that.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:48 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:Freaking out now. I definitely don't remember an "at most" rule on the artifacts game.
It was AT LEAST, right? Don't freak ME out now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”