Average score increase on LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ezzier

New

Average score increase on LSAT

Post by ezzier » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:06 am

Hi, I am curios how many points people usually go up after studying for the LSAT?

People who scored 160 or better please help me out and post your scores and techniques

1) Post diagnostic
2) Post final score
3) Please give reasons for increase or decrease in score

I started with a diagnostic of 157 and am curios if it is possible with a lot of hard studying to break a 170 or more.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Re: Average score increase on LSAT

Post by CGI Fridays » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:09 am

It is possible. This test is learnable.

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:20 am

ezzier wrote:Hi, I am curios how many points people usually go up after studying for the LSAT?

People who scored 160 or better please help me out and post your scores and techniques

1) Post diagnostic
2) Post final score

I started with a diagnostic of 157 and am curios if it is possible with a lot of hard studying to break a 170 or more.
Definitely doable. Just think - you're starting off doing better than 71.6% of people! You've obviously got a knack for the material!
Last edited by JoeShmoe11 on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

whitefeather2011

New

Post by whitefeather2011 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:21 am

10-20 point increase definitely possible.
From my stone cold first diagnostic to my final (so far) I increased 12ish points. I think that this next set of results will even increase that number.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:22 am

ezzier wrote:Hi, I am curios how many points people usually go up after studying for the LSAT?

1) Post diagnostic
2) Post final score

Similar starting point, broke 170, study study study.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:28 am

Depends on why you scored low the first time. But definitely possible if you learn how to learn the test. Fwiw, I went up 18 points :-)

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:38 am

I think a 10 point increase is what should be expected with a lot of study.

Many people don't make this goal, some people increase more than 10 points. The average person on this site starts in the 50's, many in the low 160's. Reasonably, I think the average person can score a 160. If you're slightly more intelligent a 165. If you didn't start in the high 150's or higher, I wouldn't bet your house on banging out a 170+ Not that it can't be done, but statistically it's highly unlikely to make a 15+ jump from the mid/low 150s.

Like Kevin Garnett once eloquently said, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 am

typ3 wrote:I think a 10 point increase is what should be expected with a lot of study.

Many people don't make this goal, some people increase more than 10 points. The average person on this site starts in the 50's, many in the low 160's. Reasonably, I think the average person can score a 160. If you're slightly more intelligent a 165. If you didn't start in the high 150's or higher, I wouldn't bet your house on banging out a 170+ Not that it can't be done, but statistically it's highly unlikely to make a 15+ jump from the mid/low 150s.

Like Kevin Garnett once eloquently said, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!
Again, it depends why you scored low the first time. If you're just slow but accurate, and didn't finish a bunch of sections, then you can probably increase quite dramatically. If you are logically challenged, the odds are less in your favor without some serious studying and a few epiphany moments.

ezzier

New

Post by ezzier » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:47 am

I think my problem is rushing the test which translates into lack of attention to detail. I'm sure I am not logically challenged. I rush through the test with at least 5 minutes to spare in each section but i have to learn how to be more calm and relaxed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:49 am

Diag: 158
Final: 177
Five weeks of studying.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:50 am

ezzier wrote:I think my problem is rushing the test which translates into lack of attention to detail. I'm sure I am not logically challenged. I rush through the test with at least 5 minutes to spare in each section but i have to learn how to be more calm and relaxed.
Accuracy now (total accuracy). Speed later.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:52 am

bigben wrote:
ezzier wrote:I think my problem is rushing the test which translates into lack of attention to detail. I'm sure I am not logically challenged. I rush through the test with at least 5 minutes to spare in each section but i have to learn how to be more calm and relaxed.
Accuracy now (total accuracy). Speed later.
^This

ezzier

New

Post by ezzier » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:53 am

How much time should i give myself on each section to start?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:53 am

ezzier wrote:How much time should i give myself on each section to start?
Don't time to start.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:54 am

159 cold diagnostic ---> 177 on real thing

Reasons: I studied hard (powerscore class + bibles + insane amount of PTs).

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:55 am

I would just give the normal time and leave blank the ones you don't get to. (Though you should go over them for practice afterward).

applecore

New

Post by applecore » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:57 am

Diagnostic: 159
First test: 162 (nerves)
Second test: 176

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:58 am

bigben wrote:
I would just give the normal time and leave blank the ones you don't get to. (Though you should go over them for practice afterward).
I think you should finish the sections, regardless of time. This will give you a better feel of question difficulty distribution.

Even when I was timing my sections (unless I was taking a full length test), I would continue past the 35 min mark, making a note of where I hit 35 and when I finished.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:25 am

My diagnostic was 162, with the test administered by Princeton Review, and I only got like 7 logic games correct.

Now, though, I'm worried about getting 168 because of missing 4 or 5 on LG.

Someone please help me with the math?

The point is, that studying for the LSAT is a matter of diminishing returns. It's much easier to get from 158 to 165 then it is to get from 165 to 172.

So, yes, 157-170s is possible, but difficult.

However, I'm also retarded when it comes to logic games, so that's always going to put a lid on my score. Others might see more of an increase.

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:45 pm

niederbomb wrote:My diagnostic was 162, with the test administered by Princeton Review, and I only got like 7 logic games correct.

Now, though, I'm worried about getting 168 because of missing 4 or 5 on LG.

Someone please help me with the math?

The point is, that studying for the LSAT is a matter of diminishing returns. It's much easier to get from 158 to 165 then it is to get from 165 to 172.

So, yes, 157-170s is possible, but difficult.

However, I'm also retarded when it comes to logic games, so that's always going to put a lid on my score. Others might see more of an increase.
LG were the hardest for me too at first, and I didn't believe it when people said that they were the easiest to master. They were right. By test day LG were the fun part of the test. But that's just me I guess....

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:51 pm

1) Post diagnostic
2) Post final score

100% possible. I had the same diagnostic score back in June, and on my last PT I got a 174. Now, hopefully that translates well to yesterday's test, but Im feeling good. You can definitely learn the test and improve your score tremendously.

I say just focus on what you are getting wrong and build on what you already know. If you got a 157, you obviously have some natural skill, and as long as you study hard and study consistently, you can definitely break 170

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:01 pm

i got a 150 on my diagnostic in july (only finished half of RC and LG, and maybe 3/4 of LR) and scored 174-176 on my last 7 PTs. So it's definitely possible to improve significantly! I took a class that helped a lot with understanding formal logic. also did 10 PTs after the class was over

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:03 pm

its definately possible. look at your diagnostic score, and see what sections gave you the most trouble. If its logic games, then increasing you score by 10 or more points is significantly easier ( in less time) than if its RC or LR. Focus on your weakest area first, but dont forget about RC and LR either. the LRB and LGB are highly reccommended on this site, and even RCB might be something to think about. go through each chapter of the books thoroughly, and take notes ( to review nightly). Start with untimed sections, and question types for drilling purposes, then slowly start timing yourself. Also, its a good idea to be able to do back to back RC sections without a break inbetween. I had back to back RC on the real deal yesterday, and if i didnt practice being able to handle this section during prep, it would have negatively impacted my confidence for the rest of the test.

if you put 2-3 hours of dedicated study, with no distractions a day, 6 days a week you will see you score increase, and your confidence about destroying this test also increase. If you want to borrow a study schedule, there are plenty of good ones on this site ( use the search feature). pick one that works best for you

good luck, and remember taht this site does have a lot of good information. People on here tend to score in the higer end of the test, so dont let that discourage you ( in the beginning of prep, its normal to see your first test scores stay around the same as your diagnostic, or even dip below it by as much as 10 points- it will get better)

hamsamitchguy03

New

Post by hamsamitchguy03 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 pm

ed ited
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:34 pm

My diagnostic was a 160
My lsat was a 173.

I studied my ass off my three months to bring it. Took the powerscore virtual course. Took like 12 practice tests. Did tons of practice sections. It is definitely a learnable test. Feel free to message me if you need any more details or advice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”