Coughing during the test Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dswimmer

Bronze

Coughing during the test

Post by dswimmer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Last edited by dswimmer on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Platinum

Re: Coughing during the test

Post by Knock » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:25 pm

dswimmer wrote:Over the last week, I have developed a dry, hacking cough (gross, I know). I am taking the LSAT TOMORROW. I'm not contagious, and the cough doesn't bother me too much, but I really don't want to annoy others taking the test. I have called the LSAC to see if I could take the test in a separate room or something, but the lady just replied with "the deadline for special accommodations has passed." (Yeah, like I could have foreseen myself getting a cold a week and a half before the test...not very helpful or understanding...) I've tried everything to get rid of this darn cough: cough syrup, cough drops, sudafed-claratin-benadryl concoctions I have found suggested online. NOTHING IS WORKING. I'm desperate not to be that annoying girl that everyone hates during the test, but I can't skip the test because I can't take the December test (numerous reasons).

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to quell a cough and/or how to get LSAC to listen to me? Can the proctors decide to give me another room? Can I bring in cough drops? Can I sip on water during the test? I know the guidelines say that you can't eat or drink during the test, but if I don't have water handy, the coughing gets unbearable.
Hmmm. That sucks man. Hopefully they will let you suck on cough drops, but it honestly will probably depend on the proctors are your test site. Stay focused 100% though, it's not your fault you have a cough. Don't worry about anyone else, just kill that test*.

*Provided you're not at my testing center.

lawyerliar

New

Post by lawyerliar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:30 pm

maybe the proctor can give you a table in the corner as far as possible from anyone else. keep some tissues in your hand and hold them to your mouth to stifle the coughs. make sure you tell the proctor so you can work out(togther?) the best possible solution given the unfortunate circumstance.

dswimmer

Bronze

Post by dswimmer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.

I contacted the LSAC again...did you know that cough drops are not allowed during the test? They told me I could "put a few in my mouth before the test started or during the half-way break," but that I couldn't do that once the timing began...very odd.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Just suck it up and take the test, honestly. If you need to take some medication do that, but don't take anything with an antihistamine in it. Do your best to keep it under control. Coughing isn't going to kill the LSAT score of those around you, unless they're sensitive little bunny rabbits that don't belong in lawl school in the first place.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Intimate

New

Post by Intimate » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:19 pm

My Feb 2010 LSAT was PLAGUED with coughers. I want to attribute my poor performance on the obnoxious abundance of coughing that occurred during that test. There were probably an average of 10 coughs per minute (no exaggeration). Please don't ruin the test for everyone else.

nylost

New

Post by nylost » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Has anyone ever worn ear plugs while taking the test?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:29 pm

nylost wrote:Has anyone ever worn ear plugs while taking the test?
Not allowed.

nylost

New

Post by nylost » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Knockglock wrote:
nylost wrote:Has anyone ever worn ear plugs while taking the test?
Not allowed.
Oh didn't know that..
I wear them from time to time....my school's library is filled with people who find it appropriate to socialize and watch youtube videos/movies with the speakers on...
I guess I`ll have to break that habit when I take the PTs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Intimate wrote:My Feb 2010 LSAT was PLAGUED with coughers. I want to attribute my poor performance on the obnoxious abundance of coughing that occurred during that test. There were probably an average of 10 coughs per minute (no exaggeration). Please don't ruin the test for everyone else.
If you can't learn to block out coughing for a five hour test, then you're not going to have the focus necessary to succeed in law school. Period. Sorry.

ManUdevil

New

Post by ManUdevil » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Intimate wrote:My Feb 2010 LSAT was PLAGUED with coughers. I want to attribute my poor performance on the obnoxious abundance of coughing that occurred during that test. There were probably an average of 10 coughs per minute (no exaggeration). Please don't ruin the test for everyone else.
Imagine you were the one who had a cough. Would you cancel your LSAT just so you don't annoy the other test takers? You're being unreasonable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”