PT 48 - LR Section 2 - #21 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
spets

Bronze

PT 48 - LR Section 2 - #21

Post by spets » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:56 pm

I've spent almost 30 minutes trying to figure this one out, and I still can't catch a break. I would diagram this one like so:

PS - Prevent sincerity
IUR - Ignore unpleasant realities
T - Trust
S - Success

PS --> IUR
T --> S
(S --> T)
S --> IUR

The answer is T --> PS but this suggests that the first sentence should be mapped as IUR --> PS, and I can't figure out why.

matt@atlaslsat

New

Re: PT 48 - LR Section 2 - #21

Post by matt@atlaslsat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:56 pm

You got mixed around on the first premise. It's not that preventing sincerity requires us to ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies.

Instead, traditional norms requires us to ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies, and this in turn prevents sincerity.

So, you're close but. But you had the first premise reversed.

If you'd like to see how I set this one up, you can see an explanation to this question at the following link:

http://www.atlaslsat.com/forums/pt48-s4 ... -t743.html

Good luck with your prep! Let me know if you still have questions here.

spets

Bronze

Re: PT 48 - LR Section 2 - #21

Post by spets » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks for your help, Matt.

I think in this particular case I saw "requires" and immediately tried to translate the sentence into shorthand instead of reading to see what it actually was saying. Maybe it's just me, but that first sentence proves particularly difficult to translate into formal logic. I think all the different terms: "traditional norms" thrown in with "requires," "ignore unpleasant realities and tell small lies," and "prevents sincerity" ended up confusing me :(

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”