Driving to test Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
sayruss11

New

Driving to test

Post by sayruss11 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:50 pm

My test center is an hour away. Should I have someone take me so I can drill a bit in the car or should I just drive myself? I like to drive, I usually find it relaxing, although I've only been to this place once so not sure how relaxing it will be if I take a wrong turn. I know driving a distance like that sometimes makes people tired, as well. Any advice??

WonkyPanda

Bronze

Re: Driving to test

Post by WonkyPanda » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:56 pm

sayruss11 wrote:My test center is an hour away. Should I have someone take me so I can drill a bit in the car or should I just drive myself? I like to drive, I usually find it relaxing, although I've only been to this place once so not sure how relaxing it will be if I take a wrong turn. I know driving a distance like that sometimes makes people tired, as well. Any advice??
It's your call really. How long of a commute is it?

WithoutMe

New

Post by WithoutMe » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:01 pm

I feel driving keeps me awake if someone were driving me I feel Id get too relaxed and comfortable even if I was drilling myself with questions

Destined

New

Post by Destined » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:02 pm

for my SAT, i had an hour and half drive. Leave an hour early and on the way play some music to keep ya awake. When you get to the testing center, prep in the car a bit and maybe take a 5hr energy or some sort of caffeine.
If you have someone take you they're gonna want to talk and might get something else on your mind, so drive yourself.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 pm

I wouldn't really be drilling morning of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sayruss11

New

Post by sayruss11 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:04 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:
sayruss11 wrote:My test center is an hour away. Should I have someone take me so I can drill a bit in the car or should I just drive myself? I like to drive, I usually find it relaxing, although I've only been to this place once so not sure how relaxing it will be if I take a wrong turn. I know driving a distance like that sometimes makes people tired, as well. Any advice??
It's your call really. How long of a commute is it?
an hour
WithoutMe wrote:I feel driving keeps me awake if someone were driving me I feel Id get too relaxed and comfortable even if I was drilling myself with questions
Destined wrote:for my SAT, i had an hour and half drive. Leave an hour early and on the way play some music to keep ya awake. When you get to the testing center, prep in the car a bit and maybe take a 5hr energy or some sort of caffeine.
If you have someone take you they're gonna want to talk and might get something else on your mind, so drive yourself.
yea true, if anyone were to drive me that early it would be my mom and she would want to talk about things I would just no be in the mood for.

sayruss11

New

Post by sayruss11 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I wouldn't really be drilling morning of.
Nothing hardcore, just a game some LRs. I don't want the first section I take to be the first LSAT related thing I've done all day. gotta warm up somehow.

Thanks for the responses!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:05 pm

My test site is about an hour away. My dad asked if I wanted him to come and wait for me, and I shot him down immediately. At 8am I'm not going to be in any mood to talk to him about whatever inane boring topic he's in the mood for. I know he'd annoy me and I'd snap at him and go into the test feeling disgruntled.

I switch between listening to music and audiobooks in the car. Audiobooks wake me up better, I think because they require the brain to engage a little bit to follow the story. Especially books I've read in print format, because some odd visual part of my brain is actually imagining the text being read on the pages of the book. (Example: right now I'm listening to the Harry Potter audiobooks, which in print are visually very distinctive, with the title fonts and illustrations that are particular to the series.) When I get close to the test site, I'll probably switch to some loud music that I can sing along to and get psyched up.

If driving isn't relaxing for you, I might see how having someone else drive could be helpful. But I hate being a passenger, pretty much any time. If I were nervously anticipating a big exam, it'd be even worse.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Drive yourself. Make a playlist of songs you LOVE that will last you the whole way there, and it will be good for de-stressing/getting pumped for the test. I drove to the test site, did an easy logic game in the car, and went in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:27 pm

Is everyone here driving huge distances to the testing site? I'm taking mine at my undergrad, where I live in campus housing.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Is everyone here driving huge distances to the testing site? I'm taking mine at my undergrad, where I live in campus housing.
Ha, my last post may have made it seem like I drove a while; it was like... 5 min away from my apartment. I took it @ my UG. :D

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Crosstown for me, decided to take at UG (graduated in '08) rather than a closer site.

I seem to do well when my mind is generally blank - I just do nothing but listen to calming music for 30-50 minutes beforehand if I can. (In the process of burning CD now actually...)

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:11 pm

Im in DC and got stuck in Fredericksburg. Insert Fail Whale here. I dont have a license, so I have to have my mom drive me the day of.

I'm actually glad she is going to be there because I tend to psych myself out in situations like this. If I can at leate have her to calm me down right before I walk in the door Im fine. I told her I'm going to be listening to "Teflon Don" and doing some small drills (just to get my head in the game) the entire ride so she is not to disturb me, but I think the little confidence boost right before I walk in the door is going to do me some good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”