Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible--What's Important? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
zdfq

New

Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible--What's Important?

Post by zdfq » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:38 pm

I've been cramming for the LSAT, read the Powerscore Logic Games Bible awhile ago, and just picked up the Logical Reasoning book for at least a quick skim. I immediately began wondering if it's worth it--the first couple chapters seemed mind-numbingly obvious in their advice (note: I've never scored less than a 170 on a practice test).

For people who get the basics of LR--is there anything in the LR Bible that you think is especially useful for not missing that one oddball question?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Re: Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible--What's Important?

Post by Jack Smirks » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Just read up on the question types that give you problems consistently.

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 pm

Saw from your first post that you're taking it this Saturday.

You may not want to bother with LRB at all at this point, and instead focus on taking PTs and reviewing wrong answers.

Alternatively, if there are specific q-types that give you consistent trouble, you may want to read those chapters, as naterj suggested.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:55 pm

If you just want the quickest part that will make an impact, I'd go over the parallel reasoning section.

zdfq

New

Post by zdfq » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:If you just want the quickest part that will make an impact, I'd go over the parallel reasoning section.
Good call. I haven't decided whether parallel reasoning is inherently more difficult, but it definitely is more time consuming to read all choices carefully.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runningzigzag

New

Post by runningzigzag » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 pm

I have been feeling the same way as the OP when speaking of the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible...I started reading it tonight and made it to like page 40 and then I feel asleep--no joke and woke up an hour later.

The Powerscore Logical Games book I do find to be helpful and good at helping with this portion of the test. I am still not so sure about the LR Bible...should I just ditch this one??

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:41 pm

I found that the only book that was of any help was the Logic Games (I'm not blaming them, i feel the same way about any book or course because there's not much to teach for the other 2 topics). The rest of them are a load of crap on the whole. The LR helped for a few things like how to identify the mainpoint/conclusions etc with certain key words. You should also check out the back for how to guess if you run out of time, although I don't imagine that will be a problem for you if you're scoring in the 170's!

I'd say the most important thing for you to do right now is just take as many practice tests as you can.

runningzigzag

New

Post by runningzigzag » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm not scoring in the 170's (I didn't mean to confuse or mislead you with my last post)...right now, I am cramming pretty hardcore too. I just found the LR Bible to be very dry and mind-numbing like the OP. I agree with you on there being only so much you can learn when it comes to RC and LR...the Games section can definitely taught though and I agree with you on that. I do plan on taking a $hitload of PT's between now and Feb. 12th.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:40 am

One piece of advice: study flaws very carefully. Your ability to detect and identify flawed reasoning drastically impacts your ability in numerous question types. Essentially strengthen, weaken, suffiicient, and necessary questions are all flaw questions with one extra step. I estimate at least 60% of questions are dependant on you understanding what flawed reasoning was commited.

(Missed only 3 LR total when I took my LSAT)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acirilli1722

New

Post by acirilli1722 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:58 am

If not the LR Bible then any suggestion of any other helpful books/material for the LR section. I'm not cramming I'm taking the June LSAT so I have time to try something new.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:13 am

acirilli1722 wrote:If not the LR Bible then any suggestion of any other helpful books/material for the LR section. I'm not cramming I'm taking the June LSAT so I have time to try something new.
atlas is good but combo it with the lrb

and the best part is definitely the parallel reasoning

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 am

Read all the chapter summaries and go back on any point you don't understand.
Last edited by gbpackerbacker on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:Read all the chapter summaries and go back on any point you don't understand.
This is the correct response.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:44 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Read all the chapter summaries and go back on any point you don't understand.
+1

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:
+1
Gbpackerbacker is an asshat.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:05 am

Flips88 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:
+1
Gbpackerbacker is an asshat.
QFT

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:30 pm

I looked up this thread because I have a question. I'm beginning chapter 8 now, (causality) and I don't feel like I've actually gotten better... or for that matter I don't even feel like my strategies for attacking questions has adapted that much. Is that common in this book? Do people REALLY get the benefits of it near the end where all the questions are? I'm not even halfway done, I'm just wondering if I'm actually going to get a noticable benefit from it during the later chapters of the book.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”