Am I just stupid? Topped out? Panicking... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
soesghost

New

Am I just stupid? Topped out? Panicking...

Post by soesghost » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 pm

I don't know... took the Feb test, started smooth, was feeling 100% on section 1 when I hear the proctor call "5 min"...... and I'm on QUESTION 16.... :(

Well... needless to say the wheels came spinning off - I tried to read and answer the remaining 10, and essentially guessed at all of them since I couldn't retain a word in my panicked state. The rest of the test went ok, I guess, but I was so rattled I am sure I did horribly - so I cancelled. June. Felt much better about it - ended each section maybe 1 or 2 questions short (yes, I know speed was my issue, but when you're completing practice sections with 7-4 minutes to spare every time, how much faster can you practice?), was able to put down a 50/50 shot answer, and I felt at least I had given it a solid, if not my best effort. I ended up with a 157. Now, let me say this - I am not the traditional student. I'm 38, looking to get my JD after working on Wall St. for 10 yrs, and looking to go part time at night, which allows for lower scores. I have a decent story, with my degree in English/writing, and a civil service background, so I think I have a good shot at the 2 schools I wanted to attend - Fordham or Brooklyn Law. At 157 I can probably swing Brooklyn, however, Fordham has a better rep and, more importantly, offers a nice scholarship through the City of New York if you're an employee, which I am. So if only for the tuition purposes I really wanted to be accepted to Fordham, which takes a 163 or so for the night program. With this in mind, after seeing the 157 I signed up for Oct's test. I have done pretty much every practice test in the 3 real LSAT books, a couple of Princeton review books (which I think actually hurt instead of helped), and the LG Bible which I found terrific. That said, I am still averaging 163-168 on my PT's, which is right where I was before June. I reviewed my score and saw I did fine on questions 1-20 in every section, then clumps of wrong answers in the last 5-7 in EVERY section. Clearly I was feeling hurried, though I hear the questions get harder as you go along. So what's my point? Despite all my testing and practicing (I cant afford the time for the courses with a FT job) I don't seem to have made any gains. There are certain fundamental things I seem yto be unable to grasp - like parallel-the-reasoning or certain logic games. If iI HAD to go with a 157 app I guess that would be ok - I wouldn't mind going to Brooklyn if that's my best option. I really wanted to do better this time, though, and now I am panicking I will blow up on the test, get a WORSE score, and drag my average, and hopes of attending, down.... Any thoughts?

JJDancer

Gold

Re: Am I just stupid? Topped out? Panicking...

Post by JJDancer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:02 pm

It doesn't matter that you were scoring 163-168 before and ended up with a 157. You know your abilities and if you feel you can hit 163/165 then feel good about the effort you have put in and rock it on Saturday. PT 61 is waiting to give you a 16X score.

What I do for LG and RC is basically check the clock and make sure I have about 18 minutes left at the end of game 2 or passage2. if I have more, I still keep working at the same pace in case there is some crazy LG or super weird passage. If I have less than 18 then I work through game3 or passage3 as quickly as I can without sacrificing accuracy (making sure not to get stuck on one question, if I'm not sure whether #19 is A or C, I just put A/C and move on to the last game/passage while there are at least 5-6 mins left). Let's say I finish the last passage and have a few extra seconds, I go back to consider A/C..if there is 1 minute left then I check for misbubles and make sure I have an answer entered for each q.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:10 pm

You will be just fine, if you can handle the pressure of wall st. then the LSAT should be a cakewalk. Have confidence in yourself. Remind yourself that you clocked high 160s before and this time will be no different- and then execute.

Good luck. Out of curiosity, what did you do on Wall st?

catsparka

Bronze

Post by catsparka » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:17 pm

minnbills wrote:You will be just fine, if you can handle the pressure of wall st. then the LSAT should be a cakewalk. Have confidence in yourself. Remind yourself that you clocked high 160s before and this time will be no different- and then execute.

Good luck. Out of curiosity, what did you do on Wall st?
Off-topic, but since I've started studying for the LSAT, certain words or phrases just aren't the same for me anymore. "Cakewalk," for example. Not sure if you were deliberately alluding to that RC passage.

soesghost

New

Post by soesghost » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:52 pm

I was a stock trader for 10 years. You would think I can handle the pressure, and usually I can, but this is something else. You know, a bad trade, maybe you run out of time, day ends, but then you have tomorrow. Here? Not so much. Like I said, it wouldn't be the WORST thing if I end up going to Brooklyn, but when i started this path it wasn't to just do the best I could, but rather to excel. Haaaaaasn't quite worked out that way, and I suppose being out of school for 15 years or so will do that. At the very least I DO feel up to speed on being in the mindset of taking these PT's again, so at least come test day I can approach it as just another exercise. One hopes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:31 pm

soesghost wrote:I was a stock trader for 10 years. You would think I can handle the pressure, and usually I can, but this is something else. You know, a bad trade, maybe you run out of time, day ends, but then you have tomorrow. Here? Not so much. Like I said, it wouldn't be the WORST thing if I end up going to Brooklyn, but when i started this path it wasn't to just do the best I could, but rather to excel. Haaaaaasn't quite worked out that way, and I suppose being out of school for 15 years or so will do that. At the very least I DO feel up to speed on being in the mindset of taking these PT's again, so at least come test day I can approach it as just another exercise. One hopes.
I'm sure you'll do just fine, just attack the test the same way you would handle trading (my knowledge of finance is pretty low).

Reason I ask, I have a couple of neighbors who work in finance, one spent most of his career in London on the stock exchange. Interesting people, though not the nicest people I ever met.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 pm

catsparka wrote:Off-topic, but since I've started studying for the LSAT, certain words or phrases just aren't the same for me anymore. "Cakewalk," for example. Not sure if you were deliberately alluding to that RC passage.
Haha, took that PT today. Definitely won't be the same...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”