PT 60 LRII #24 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cesmoc

New

PT 60 LRII #24

Post by cesmoc » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:14 pm

Can someone help me with this question? I see why B is the correct answer but I am confused about E. The question is about underground rock groups. Thanks so much! I hope everyone's studying is going well.

JJDancer

Gold

Re: PT 60 LRII #24

Post by JJDancer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:40 pm

First bring your attention to the fact that this is a PRINCIPLE and a JUSTIFY question.
So you need to find a) a broader principle that the argument falls under and b) something that JUSTIFIES (leaves no loopholes, sort of like must be true) the conclusion.

Identify the CONCLUSION: how well underground rock gr SELLs is not mark of success.
WHy not?
If sells well --> might be too trendy (not authentically underground)
A lot of people think its better not to sell well (implying that then it would be authentic)

But what if it is authentic and still doesn't sell well.. it might be that they just suck (incompetence).

So clearly incompetence not = success and not authentic not = success *even if they are competent. B says: if incompetent --> NOT successful , and if too trendy to be auth --> - succ. if incompetent and too trendy --> not successful.

E is the opposite of what you are looking for. they only say that records sold isn't a mark of success (not that authentic and competence aren't).

Basically the stimulus says if you sell too well there still might be a problem (too trendy)
and if you sell NOT well, then you might have a different problem (u suck)

But (regardless of if you sell records or don't sell records) if you are competent and authentically underground then that IS a mark of success(opposite of E) .

does that make sense?

cesmoc

New

Post by cesmoc » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:47 pm

yes, thank a lot!

wjun15

Bronze

Post by wjun15 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:30 pm

im having trouble finding why D is wrong. Is it because the stimulus talks about signs of being unsuccessful instead of signs of being successful?

i always think the answer choice is going to throw a curveball with a contrapositive so i get confused.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:10 am

I'm confused about D as well...can someone explain why is D incorrect?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:49 am

The conclusion was that sales were no indication of success. D specifically makes sales an indication. This is not consistent with the conclusion. We're trying to say that you can't tell anything from the sales (to justify the conclusion), but D says that in some circumstances (when the group is competent), you can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”