What are my chances of a 170 on Oct. 9? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rinkrat19

Diamond

What are my chances of a 170 on Oct. 9?

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:12 am

Over the past 2 months, I've taken somewhere around 20 PTs, in various testing conditions from a silent office, to a noisy public library, to my house with the TV on, to my dad's house with him talking to me. My scores don't seem to vary much with noise level or distractions.

I've never had trouble with text anxiety, and the LSAT won't even be the longest test I've ever taken (that would be the 8-hour Fundamentals of Engineering exam; talk about a b**** of a test).

First PT (cold, 2 months ago): 164
Lowest PT: 157 (my 2nd PT, my only score below 160)
Early PT range: 163-166
Last 7 PTs: 170, 172 (my best so far), 169, 165, 167, 170, 170

From what I've read, most people don't match their best PT score on the real thing. But hey, someone has to, right? :wink:

jeremydc

Bronze

Re: What are my chances of a 170 on Oct. 9?

Post by jeremydc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:13 am

I'm no expert but the with the consistency I wouldnt worry. I would suggest to work on the section you are getting the lowest score at a bit more than the better sections. Time the PTs, and try to create a similar environment to the test ie library.

I'm sure the "experts" will chime in soon. But thats my advice, you should do fine.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:55 am

The only variable you're not accounting for is nerves. If you can, try to take a PT with someone else also taking it. You'll want to experience the mental dialog of "omg, he just turned the page! Is he ahead of me? Why is he writing so much????! OH, he's on another section." That kind of thing takes up time

If you don't have a study buddy, try using an online countdown clock or a real clock with big numbers that flash at you. Try some 30 or even 28 minute sections. It will give you practice in dealing with the pressure you may feel on test day.

But in general, I think you'll be ok. Good luck!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks for the encouragement. 8)

Of course I can't guarantee I won't have nerves, but they've never been a problem on any standardized test I've ever taken--I pretty much seem to perform as expected. I've never had a test come back and gone "WOW, what a surprisingly awesome score!" but I've also never been too disappointed.

I did forget to say that all of my later scores have been within the time limit. (Early on, I was worrying more about familiarizing myself with the test than doing it quickly.) I usually keep my phone on the desk with a countdown app on the screen. I routinely finish all the RC/LR sections with 8-10 minutes left (I read fast) so I don't even bother to time those anymore. I tend to only start looking around at how other people are working when I'm bored with a tedious reading sample, so at least I have some time to spare on the sections where that's likely to happen.

Like practically everyone else, my biggest problem is running out of time on LG. But I'm finally at least getting partway through the 4th LG puzzle, unless I run into an unusually ghastly one like the used furniture on SuperPrep B(?). Logic Games for Dummies helped me a lot with learning how to set up the problems quickly and consistently, and my notes/diagrams/scribbles have reduced to about 1/3 of a page. I'm down to about 10 minutes per problem...not quite the 8.75 minutes you need to finish in 35 minutes, but much better than when I started!

Unfortunately, I don't have a study buddy. I'm non-traditional; 8 years out of UG and working full-time. I'm only applying to the evening/part-time program at Lewis & Clark (which tells you where I live), and I want to stomp the LSAT to hopefully get some $$ thrown my way. My GPA's right at their median, so I'm hoping the 8 years of work experience + an LSAT well above their 75% will be worth something.

T-minus 9 days and counting! :shock: Where did September go?!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:51 pm

I would say you are likely to hit anywhere between 165-171 (I've seen ppl do better than their highest PT, though it is RARE).

Also, the person next to you might be doing LG while you are doing LR and trust me, they will be writing FURIOUSLY. That pencil scratching sound is distracting for the first few mins, and can scare you if you don't realize that they are on a different section and when you get to LG you will be writing furiously and scaring them too.

No one realizes how pscychotically you write during LG until you sit next to someone else and do a test while they are on a different section.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Take the test. Jesus christ. So many people here are socially awkward losers. You have a low LSAT score on your practice tests, you are aiming for a low score. Your chances of a "pretty low score (i.e. 170)" are as good as you not choking, messing up an entire section, or getting eaten up by time constraint.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Take the test. Jesus christ. So many people here are socially awkward losers. You have a low LSAT score on your practice tests, you are aiming for a low score. Your chances of a "pretty low score 170 are as good as you not choking, messing up an entire section, or getting eaten up by time constraint.
unnecessary, unproductive BS.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Wow, my own little corner of the forum got its first visit from the insult fairy. I feel so affirmed!

"Socially awkward loser." Um...ok. I mean, there are things you could legitimately mock me for, like my GPA or the use of stupid smileys, so have at 'em. But social skills? That's about as germane to the conversation as insulting my cooking.

You certainly seem to like the sound of the phrase "socially awkward loser," judging by how often you use it. I'll go ahead and assume it's just your default for when you can't be bothered to come up with something truly cutting.

Thanks for the honor of your reply. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. *eyeroll*

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:27 pm

While I wouldn't go so far as to call you names, I do agree with the general sentiment. Nobody can really tell you what your chances are. Most people score below their PT average, while some rare people score even higher (I actually matched my PT high on the real thing). So many factors go into it, such as testing conditions, how you feel that day, what types of questions you get, messing up a section, etc.

I just don't see what the point of this thread is. No one can give you an even remotely helpful answer. Spend less time making speculative threads and more time studying.

Come back to TLS once you have a score and we will gladly give you some advice on where to apply, whether you should ED, your PS and LORs, scholarships, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lennonist

Bronze

Post by lennonist » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:48 pm

if you're relaxed on the day of the test, not burnt out from all the PTs, not nervous/hungry/distracted, I think you have a good shot at a 170 :)

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:48 pm

23.7%.

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Enjoy your 163. HTH

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:21 pm

lawschoollll wrote:23.7%.
thank you for this. . . . .authentically funny. . . .loved it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:48 pm

crysmissmichelle wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:23.7%.
thank you for this. . . . .authentically funny. . . .loved it!
Was just going to say the same thing. Someone knows the difference between being funny and just being a jerk.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:53 pm

Take the most recent tests if you havent done so. These are markedly different from the tests of the 1990's and early 2000's. People have reported slight drops, followed by increases, after starting the tests in the 50's.

At this point though you'll be fine. Your scores are up there. It seems like you just want reassurance. Here it is: You'll get that 170.

Good luck!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:16 pm

gdane5 wrote:Take the most recent tests if you havent done so. These are markedly different from the tests of the 1990's and early 2000's. People have reported slight drops, followed by increases, after starting the tests in the 50's.

At this point though you'll be fine. Your scores are up there. It seems like you just want reassurance. Here it is: You'll get that 170.

Good luck!
Thanks, gdane. Reassurance is always appreciated. And thanks for the advice about getting the most recent tests. I'd been working out of the books of earlier tests until last night when it suddenly occurred to me that that was pretty dumb. 4 of the most recent tests are now heading my way on the wings of Amazon. (Hooray for 2-day shipping.)

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Your diagnostic 2 months ago was a 164 (timed each section, 4-5)? WTF? You should not be shooting for 170, but at least 173+. See if you can get out of this funk. Take the Oct., and then consider cancelling and retaking later and applying in another year. The difference between possibly a 170 and a lock on a 175 is huge, and well worth the wait.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:46 pm

+1 to Romo's post (I seem to do this a lot). You've demonstrated that you can hit 170, but too many variables factor in to the real test for us to give you any kind of reliable prediction. Thus far, everything in this thread has been speculation- and speculation is all you're gonna get. For what it's worth, anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that many score on the lower end of their recent PT range, but this may or may not be true for you. So keep studying, get ready for the big day, and worry about everything else when you have a score in hand. And don't cancel unless you have a really good reason.

Also, how is Columbia Law allowed to post on these forums? What a miserable waste of everyone's time.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:55 pm

I was scoring 170+ average on my pt's after 2 months of studying.

My Diagnostic was 161.

The week before the test I went 177, 174, 166 (day before the test)

My nerves were shot because of the one bad PT. I ran into time issues on test day, never have before. I found myself tripple/quadroupple checking my answers and second guessing myself every question.

I ended up scoring a 163 on PT 60 (the LSAT i sat on) ::facepalm::

So... I just came back to studying for next week's test this week figuring less is better.

Just took my first PT after doing untimed and then timed sections.. Scored a 176 :)

Have to say though, coming back on short notice is rough. I almost freaked when I did my first untimed LR and went -7, but after reviewing and remembering rules of logic etc I've slimmed that down to a nice 0-2. Did rkitten's trick of taking consecutive RC sections ( did 7 yesterday in a row untimed and then timed) and went from -6 to -1.

I would say, hope for the best prepare for the worst. Try to manage nerves. I've never had a problem with mine, but for some reason the voice in the back of your head on test day saying that every bubble you mark determines whether you get into H/Y/ or S Law schools messes with you.

Also, dress in layers. I wore shorts and a polo to my june test date. Big mistake, the testing center was 60 degrees.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”