How to get faster at LG Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
niederbomb

Silver

How to get faster at LG

Post by niederbomb » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:39 am

I have used the LG Bible, practically memorized it, and done dozens of logic games over several months, yet I still rarely finish an LG section.

The only two times I ever finished were on PT 48 and PT 47, and both were -0.

I'm usually -5 (PT 57) or -2 if I'm lucky, just because I can't finish in time. My eyes don't seem to be able to move fast enough, and I can't seem to write fast enough.

Slow LG's is the only thing standing between me and consistent mid 170's. I'm consistently -4 to -6 on the other three sections combined, so overall, that translates into a raw score between -8 and -12.

I rarely get beyond the first 3 questions on the 4th game.

For those of you who always finish LG with time to spare, what shortcuts do you use?

Funny thing is, it's not uncommon for me to finish LR AND RC with plenty of time to spare.
Last edited by niederbomb on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Re: How to get faster at LG

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:45 am

Do you read the whole problem and then diagram? That might cost a few seconds. Otherwise, it' just practice practice practice. Try printing four or five games- three copies each. Do them all: 12345 12345 12345. You'll have them halfway memorized by the third time- but it also helps ingrain the patterns of rules and things in your head

Also, maybe try doing the questions for each game out of order. I usually do the first question (if it's a follow-the-rules one), then any questions with "If" stems (If L is visited fourth, ...). That way, when I get to the global questions, I have at least a couple hypotheticals to work with

HTH

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 am

Do you read every answer choice? I know you SHOULD technically go through each answer choice, but if you aren't finishing on time, you could definitely try going through and as soon as you get to the "right" answer choice (that you're certain about), circle the question, put down your answer, and move on. You should be able to save valuable time by not checking the remaining answers.

Of course, you need to try this out at least once or twice, and see if the occasional error you might make by not checking all the answers is outweighed by getting to more of the questions.

Questions that are taking a long time, pick an answer, circle the question, and move on.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:49 am

No, I diagram as I'm reading the problem, and fix it if I need to (rarely is this necessary).

I'll try doing the questions out of order and see if that helps.

Probably the biggest time burner is scanning through the options on the first question (usually, the one with five templates). Any tips to get around this? Do it last maybe?

Usually, diagramming + the first question takes 2-3 minutes, unless it's a difficult game like Dinos, then maybe longer, about 4 or 5.

I'll try going through the answer choices once without diagramming, but the tradeoff, is this could also waste time.

Maybe I've hit my limit. My first diagnostic PT, taken with Princeton Review under simulated conditions, was 162 with +6 on logic games. So maybe going from +6 to +18-20 is as good as it's going to get.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:05 am

niederbomb wrote:No, I diagram as I'm reading the problem, and fix it if I need to (rarely is this necessary).

I'll try doing the questions out of order and see if that helps.

Probably the biggest time burner is scanning through the options on the first question (usually, the one with five templates). Any tips to get around this? Do it last maybe?
I really think it's better to do it first, so you have a hypothetical to work with. To make it faster, definitely don't check it against the rules in order. If rule 4 is, "X is on Wednesday," check it first. Then put a mark next to the rule so you know you did it. Also, clearly scratch out eliminated answers- I used to wait a time accidentally checking the second rule against answer choices I had already ruled out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:25 am

Maybe my problem is that I don't print them out, as I do not have access to a personal printer in China.

I usually do them from my laptop screen while writing on a small notebook.

So eliminating actually requires writing ABCDE and crossing them out while looking back and forth constantly, and the only time I can underline something is when I actually write it out.

However, I've also used a book of PT 25-33, 1-6, and a few supposedly "undisclosed" recent February tests that someone gave me and taken those pencil and paper with scan sheets, and I don't notice a huge difference in scores/timing.

Do those tests have more difficult LG?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:55 am

niederbomb wrote:Maybe my problem is that I don't print them out, as I do not have access to a personal printer in China.

I usually do them from my laptop screen while writing on a small notebook.

So eliminating actually requires writing ABCDE and crossing them out while looking back and forth constantly, and the only time I can underline something is when I actually write it out.

However, I've also used a book of PT 25-33, 1-6, and a few supposedly "undisclosed" recent February tests that someone gave me and taken those pencil and paper with scan sheets, and I don't notice a huge difference in scores/timing.

Do those tests have more difficult LG?
I think we found your problem! Process of elimination is HUGE. Also, looking back and forth is probably where your time is going. You really, really need to get used to working on the actual game paper during the next. It will probably improve your speed. (I know you said that paper ones weren't faster, but if that was your first set of paper ones...I'd say try again.) Also, the space given on the test is fairly limited, and no scratch paper is allowed. It's important to see how much room you'll have to work.

China is full of little printshops (at least all the cities I've been to have been.) Pretty much everywhere that does photocopies can also print from USB stick.

Chinese support: (Sorry if you're fluent, just trying to help :-)
Where can I print things? Zai4 nar3 ke3yi3 da3yin4?
I'd like to print. Da3yin4 ba. (And hold out your USB)
The character for print (yin4) is 印. You'll see it on the signs of places you can print.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:40 am

I guess my reasoning is that if I do the section under conditions much more difficult than the actual conditions, that's a good thing, right? With my notebook, I have less space on which to write than on the actual test. But the difference in performance is marginal.

Anyway, I will keep looking for a print shop that can print from a USB stick and doesn't cost $8 USD (my friend took me to about 5 of them this afternoon), so I can do at least a few recent PT's pencil and paper before October 10.

I can speak a lot of Chinese, although my character knowledge is hugely lacking. So language isn't a problem. Thanks anyway. :)

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:01 am

The one PT I did off of my computer screen was a miserable experience, so I imagine that is your biggest problem.

I hadn't thought of doing all of the hypo establishing questions first...thanks for that advice Eugenie :), I'm going to steal it. While I never have trouble finishing them on time and usually go -0, I'm worried that on test day I will panic, so anything to save time is very good advice.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 am

No problem. Just want to clarify one thing...the only hypo ones I don't do first are the ones that add or change a rule. Those are last last :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”