Thinking about enrolling Powerscore Class Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
February1088

New

Thinking about enrolling Powerscore Class

Post by February1088 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:54 pm

So I am choosing to take Powerscore over Testmaster, is this a wrong choice?

Anyway the price for the class is a bit staggering..$1300...are there any "deals" or coupons I can use to get a price reduction like Kaplan?

Currently my score is about 160-165 with extra time (cannot finish the sections on time)

My goal is reaching 175+ within the allotted time

Any tips on class is appreciated to those who have taken the course before.
What should I prepare for? Is it bad to ask the instructor multiple questions after class?

Sandro

Gold

Re: Thinking about enrolling Powerscore Class

Post by Sandro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Buy the powerscore bibles and do all the PTs with review. Unless you need someone to read aloud the bibles, and tell you to do homework. Then pay 1300 for powerscore.

fenix916

New

Post by fenix916 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:16 pm

I took a practice test cold and got a 158. Then enrolled in Power Score and got a 170, BUT that score was a bomb. I got a 170, but got 6 wrong in the reading comp...so, ya know, the rest of the test went pretty well. That said, I think you could do just as well studying on your own. For me, dropping the $1300 on the course really made me to take the LSATs seriously instead of just dicking around (I'm lazy)

February1088

New

Post by February1088 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:19 pm

i noticed they are a really different in what is written in their websites.
TM:

Code: Select all

80 hours of live, in-class instruction
30-minute question-and-answer sessions before the beginning of each of the fifteen lessons (an additional 7.5 hours of live instruction)
Instructors who have all scored in the 98th percentile or higher on an officially administered LSAT
Licensed use of over 6500 real LSAT questions
Complete set of TestMasters coursebooks delivered free via courier (the five volumes consist of more than 2000 pages)
Four proctored full-length diagnostic tests with comprehensive score reports
Nine additional full-length diagnostic tests with comprehensive score reports
Extensive homework assignments that contain LSAT questions, drills, analyses, and explanations
Access to copyrighted TestMasters methods and techniques
Systematic question type classification of all real LSAT questions
Video and written explanations for all of the logic games
Video, audio, and written explanations for selected logical reasoning questions
Line reference notes for all of the reading comprehension passages
Full access to our toll-free Instructor Helpline—students can chat with our instructors academic questions (open weekdays from 1PM to 4PM Eastern Time and from 10AM to 1PM Pacific Time)
Full access to our Online Resource Center—students can score diagnostic tests and receive detailed statistical feedback, view instructional videos and written explanations, take timed psychometric quizzes, access questions via our LSAT Search Engine, use our Flawed Methods of Reasoning Database, and read special bulletins concerning the LSAT and law school admissions
Cost—$1450
PS:

Code: Select all

Over 125 course hours including 64 live lecture hours,
more than 45 hours of online teaching sessions,
and 16 hours of proctored practice test time
	Instructors who have all scored in the
99th percentile on an official LSAT
	Thousands of pages of material
	Official LSAT questions and
practice tests from Law Services
	Free LSAT Homework Hotline for
after-hours help with homework
	Comprehensive Online Student Center including
course supplements and practice test evaluations
It just seems like TM costs a bit more but has more hours. I am assuming both classes offer homework (which is a plus for me)

They both seem to have 4 tests during the session which I am fine with

Which seems to be the better deal?

fenix916

New

Post by fenix916 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:23 pm

oh also I am pretty sure PS just ripped off TM...so I am not sure if there's any difference

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:30 pm

I took the PowerScore course for $1300 in NYC. The price tag IS scary, but I think it was worth it. I work FT and the course really kept me motivated to study, basically so I wouldn't waste the money. It's kind of my motivation for my gym membership, too. Don't want to go, but don't want to throw $80 out the window each month, lol. Anyway, back on topic, my instructor was great, even though I think he spent too much time going through every LR question, then breezed through games (what I struggled with). Regardless, you get lots of materials, my instructor was VERY patient and accessible, and I felt like there was plenty of in-class instruction. Probably the most frustrating part was dealing with the people who asked REALLY dumb questions in class. I improved 13 points after taking the course. That being said, I completely BOMBED the first test, so it's not like I went from a 167 to a 180, lol. So, yea, it IS pricey, but I feel better knowing I explored all avenues of preparation. I don't have to wonder, hmm..would a course have helped? However, a lot of people here do well from self-study alone, so it's ultimately up to you :-).

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:53 pm

February1088 wrote:So I am choosing to take Powerscore over Testmaster, is this a wrong choice?

Any tips on class is appreciated to those who have taken the course before.
What should I prepare for? Is it bad to ask the instructor multiple questions after class?
I have taken the Powerscore course and can vouch for it. IT is definitely worth the price if you need a boost to force yourself to study. Sure people say you can do it all on your own, and you can, but the majority of people just don't have the discipline to do it. Another thing, you cant recreate PT's on your own...getting proctored tests is a huge help, plus the professors can help pin point specific issues you are having. My theory is you are paying the prof...so ask him as many questions as you want to.

If you are taking the full length course (which I recommend) you can also retake the course at a discounted rate. Plus you get access to their online student center which has a wealth of information and class supplements that really help out. IE specific online lectures about Games or LR lessons. My greatest tip is treat prep like a job or your first year in LS...do all the HW and come prepared. Attack the test, dont let it attack you. It is very learnable, so learn it.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:56 pm

How many students were in your Powerscore class ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:56 pm

I took TM and benefited from it, went from a 157 low diag to a 172 on test day. I ended up going with TM over PS just because I could buy PS's books (the bibles) without taking the class, whereas TM only gives out their books and strategies through the course. I figured if I struggled with something I could always buy the bibles and get PS's strategies if I needed them. I never did that because the TM system worked for me, although my understanding is that some preferred PS's.

Also, if you take TM's class you get every LSAT question ever to practice on. Not sure if PS does that, someone who took them could explain them better than I.

Hope that helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:00 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:How many students were in your Powerscore class ?
I think it was about 25-30 maybe?

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:04 pm

sundance95 wrote:I ended up going with TM over PS just because I could buy PS's books (the bibles) without taking the class, whereas TM only gives out their books and strategies through the course.
I was kind of bummed that I was spending $1300 even though I already owned the Bibles, but I really think there was material covered and taught that wasn't in the Bibles, or at least they expanded on it nicely. I guess that was the main difference for me...a knowledgeable instructor. I definitely learned more from a great teacher who was very knowledgeable about the exam than from a book, and that's not to knock the books..I just think the human component helped a lot.

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm taking a TM class now. My completely cold diagnostic was 150, and I'm now scoring in the 170-176 range. I think I lucked out on instructors though. We had a substitute one day, and he was not nearly as good as my regular instructor. If you have trouble with LR, I would recommend this course because they split them up into question types and give you a strategy to answer each type. Not much help on RC though. And I didn't really need help with LG.

I chose TM though because I got a half-off coupon. TM came to my UG and had an hour-long event, trying to get people to sign up for their class. At the end, they handed out 1 LSAT question to everyone, and if you got yours correct, you got the half-off coupon. So I recommend attending any TM events offered nearby. $725 is way better than $1350.

And on a final note, I disliked that there were only a limited number of practice tests I could take fresh, because I had already seen most of the questions in homework

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:06 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
sundance95 wrote:I ended up going with TM over PS just because I could buy PS's books (the bibles) without taking the class, whereas TM only gives out their books and strategies through the course.
I was kind of bummed that I was spending $1300 even though I already owned the Bibles, but I really think there was material covered and taught that wasn't in the Bibles, or at least they expanded on it nicely. I guess that was the main difference for me...a knowledgeable instructor. I definitely learned more from a great teacher who was very knowledgeable about the exam than from a book, and that's not to knock the books..I just think the human component helped a lot.

Of course, but OP's question isn't whether to take a course or use the books; it's which course to take.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:07 pm

achilles wrote:I'm taking a TM class now. My completely cold diagnostic was 150, and I'm now scoring in the 170-176 range. I think I lucked out on instructors though. We had a substitute one day, and he was not nearly as good as my regular instructor. If you have trouble with LR, I would recommend this course because they split them up into question types and give you a strategy to answer each type. Not much help on RC though. And I didn't really need help with LG.

I chose TM though because I got a half-off coupon. TM came to my UG and had an hour-long event, trying to get people to sign up for their class. At the end, they handed out 1 LSAT question to everyone, and if you got yours correct, you got the half-off coupon. So I recommend attending any TM events offered nearby. $725 is way better than $1350.

And on a final note, I disliked that there were only a limited number of practice tests I could take fresh, because I had already seen most of the questions in homework
Whoa, what UG was that event at?

February1088

New

Post by February1088 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:08 pm

achilles wrote:I'm taking a TM class now. My completely cold diagnostic was 150, and I'm now scoring in the 170-176 range. I think I lucked out on instructors though. We had a substitute one day, and he was not nearly as good as my regular instructor. If you have trouble with LR, I would recommend this course because they split them up into question types and give you a strategy to answer each type. Not much help on RC though. And I didn't really need help with LG.

Whoa...how do i find out if a TM event is nearby? I would like to participate in one...I could really use the half-off coupon

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:09 pm

sundance95 wrote:
JennBNYC wrote:

Of course, but OP's question isn't whether to take a course or use the books; it's which course to take.
Oh, I know. I'm just saying that I wouldn't rule out PS because you can buy the Bibles, since I think there's more to the PS course than just that material. I think the instructors are great..well, mine was anyway.

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:10 pm

February1088 wrote:

Whoa...how do i find out if a TM event is nearby? I would like to participate in one...I could really use the half-off coupon
Wow..that's quite a deal. Though it's funny that they're giving a discount to the people who need it the least (meaning they got one right), lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”