Recent logic games Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NV53A

New

Recent logic games

Post by NV53A » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm

I know that Mauve Dinosaur game in the 09 tests were extremely hard and one of a kind. Have the subsequent games increased in difficulties as well? Any new, rare form of games in the recent tests?

Thank you for your insight in advance.

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: Recent logic games

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:13 pm

60 was a bit difficult.

sangr

Bronze

Post by sangr » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:59 pm

would u guys say PT 60 games was harder or the dinos games?

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:02 pm

sangr wrote:would u guys say PT 60 games was harder or the dinos games?
That depends entirely on the person. I completely froze on game four of PT 60, but in hindsight I would say it was a lot easier than the dinos game. I thought the Dinos game was easy anyway.

Edit: My lesson from PT 60 is to never freeze up. If you can't understand how a game works, start writing out scenarios until you see how the game works. That would have saved my butt.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:03 pm

sangr wrote:would u guys say PT 60 games was harder or the dinos games?

I would say that it wasn't harder than Dino there were just two games that were wierd like Dino on 60.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kpuc

Bronze

Post by kpuc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:23 pm

The scales are generally kind on games with very hard LGs, right? I'm doing PTs 29-35 (which have the hardest games), and their scales are extremely generous: you could get -8 and still get a ~175.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:35 pm

game 4 on 60 was a bit complicated. Add test day nerves and time running out and it was not a good recipe. The first 2 games were straightforward though.

yeahyeah2121

New

Post by yeahyeah2121 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Does anyone know what test was the infamous dino game from? I've read about its difficulty a couple times but I have yet to come across it in my prep tests and I'd like to give it a shot before this administration. Any help locating it would be very much appreciated :)

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:02 pm

My take is that the games in the 50's have gotten less predictable and more hybrid-ish. Things like conditional sequencing and multiple layers of grouping (see mauve dinosaur) have become much more prevalent, and unfortunately, do not fit easily into the Powerscore techniques.

I have a theory about this. The prevailing wisdom among LSAT preppers is that games from very early PTs (1-6) are not representative of the kinds of games you will see on current PTs, and thus, should not be prioritized. While it is true that mapping, pattern, and circular linearity games are unlikely to appear on LSATs in the near future, I don't think that this alone is a sufficient reason for relegating them to obscurity. The reality is that these games force you adapt your strategies and adaptability is the key to beating the most recent games.

If you haven't done so already, take a look at the last game on PT 2. (dog show) It's a nasty hybrid game that feels quite similar to the kind of games you are likely to see on future LSATs.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:38 pm

I am praying that on test day the games will be somwhere near the level of the early 50s... i've been knocking out so many -2's on LG im starting to get scared - am I really adjusted to the current level of games? Were all my -10s and -11s on 20s and 30s LGs just because they were harder?

I sure hope its because I'm better because now I am getting to all 4 games and doing very well....

Miranda 18

New

Post by Miranda 18 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:45 pm

When I first tackled the dino game I couldn't even begin to set it up (this was a year ago) I tried it again last week and left it -0. I think its a lot easier then most people hype up especially if you have been drilling LG from earlier PT.

I have not seen the logic games in PT 60, would people say they are equivalent to the dino level of difficulty?

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:48 am

The LG section is my best section without a doubt. I would by far prefer an incredibly hard LG on PT 61 and a more generous curve.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:29 am

NV53A wrote:I know that Mauve Dinosaur game in the 09 tests were extremely hard and one of a kind. Have the subsequent games increased in difficulties as well? Any new, rare form of games in the recent tests?

Thank you for your insight in advance.
The new games aren't necessarily more difficult...some of them are just a bit different. The newer games sections reward flexibility as opposed to memorization, since there's not really a frame of reference for them. The key (IMO) is to stay calm and not freak out when you realize that a game is a little off. The mulch game on PT 60, the dinos, etc. are fairly easy if you take a calm, methodical approach and apply the skills you've honed from doing dozens of other games.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 am

Key to some recent logic games and some of the older harder ones is to not plug and chug the weird/difficult games. Take time out to make the necessary inferences and limitations. If you start plugging and chugging into the hard one, you're screwed.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:44 am

On the new games, it's not quite as easy to eliminate answer choices.

It used to be that on the first question of each game, you could apply each rule to the answer choices and, generally, eliminate 1 choice per rule. Now, sometimes multiple rules go unviolated, and, instead, one rule (or combination of rules) will violate multiple answer choices.

Sometimes, especially on PT 59, it seems the right answer is "hidden" in a way such that I have, more than once, eliminated all five answer choices, only to have to redo the whole thing.

They're not harder to diagram or "crack," necessarily, but the mechanics of solving them has become more difficult.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm

I eliminate as many as I can on the first question, and if I can't decide between the last couple, I move on. Usually a Cannot Be True question will give you the inference you need.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:06 pm

when you guys are discussing the characteristics of recent logic games where does "recent" begin? PT50? June07? PT55? PT57?....

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:21 pm

also is it just me or do the pre-15 games have way more situations where if you don't make one overarching inference, you're screwed for all 5-7 questions?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:44 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:also is it just me or do the pre-15 games have way more situations where if you don't make one overarching inference, you're screwed for all 5-7 questions?
yes

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:03 pm

PT23, LG2 just kicked my ass. It took me 27:41 to finish it, although I did get a 6/6.

I screwed up at the very beginning with the diagramming. I hate the "unless" rules. I always just reword the rule to its contrapositive in my head, diagram the contrapositive and then convert it back to the original rule, but this makes mistakes more likely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

youknowryan

Bronze

Post by youknowryan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:57 am

dhrizek wrote:PT23, LG2 just kicked my ass. It took me 27:41 to finish it, although I did get a 6/6.

I screwed up at the very beginning with the diagramming. I hate the "unless" rules. I always just reword the rule to its contrapositive in my head, diagram the contrapositive and then convert it back to the original rule, but this makes mistakes more likely.
Funny that game was esier for me than the one that followed it... to each their own.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:52 am

dhrizek wrote:PT23, LG2 just kicked my ass. It took me 27:41 to finish it, although I did get a 6/6.

Turn "unless" into "if not". Helps me a lot :)

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:56 am

i hope the LG are extremely hard in october.

i usually get -4 or -5 due to not finishing; while i'll be trying to quicken my pace, i still hope that it's extremely difficult so the curve will be more generous to make up for points i would likely have missed anyway.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:15 am

youknowryan wrote:

Funny that game was esier for me than the one that followed it... to each their own.
I did the other hard onec, don't remember if it was game 3 or 4, but I got a perfect score and finished it in 8:45 flat.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”