Exam 38, Section 4, Question 22 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Exam 38, Section 4, Question 22

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:18 pm

I am taking an online prep course and came across a question that stumped me.

My question... Why is it D? I feel it should be A. The guide says:

Choice D: This choice tells us that the increased level of serotonin, a result of the ingestion of sugars, helps one relax and feel anxiety-free. Choice D is correct.

Choice A: This choice states the elevation of mood and freedom from anxiety imply that one’s serotonin level has increased, but it does not suggest the implications of raising one’s serotonin level.

I don't understand the difference between A and D, and why it is D and not A. Reading the guide didn't help much either, so if you could explain I'd be really appreciative!!
Last edited by OmbreGracieuse on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kazu

Gold

Re: Exam 38, Section 4, Question 22

Post by kazu » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:31 pm

OP, you're not supposed to post whole questions here - you should erase the OP. Just the PT/Section/Q# and what you're having difficulty with should be enough.

A is not D because, like the guide says, A doesn't state that increasing the level of serotonin directly leads to elevation of mood. Just because something is required doesn't mean that it is the direct cause, it just means that it needs to be present. Like, I require oxygen in order to feel happy, but the existence of oxygen doesn't cause my happiness. Also, think about the following example.

Obesity requires elevated consumption of ice cream =/= elevated consumption of ice cream encourages the gain of weight.

Keep in mind that you should always be wary of absolute words like "require" when doing LR.

(I realize this is a sucky explanation - I'm not that good at explaining my thought process. Maybe someone else will be able to explain things better.)

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Re: Exam 38, Section 4, Question 22

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Got it! That makes perfect sense. I think I may have over-thought the question, because the more I thought the less I got it.

Thanks so much!! :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”