Being diagnosed w/ ADD a way to score more time on lsat? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Megan170

New

Re: Being diagnosed w/ ADD a way to score more time on lsat?

Post by Megan170 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:59 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Megan170 wrote:It would seem to me that the one who lacks social savvy is the one who speaks of "bash[ing]" other people. If you require an explanation, what I stated was to let people know in advance that I would not tolerate the sort of hateful commentary I had seen written in response to the legitimate questions of others. I cannot imagine what it takes to be so ugly, but I am very glad I am not. It's those that who cannot be respectful that should not be invited to the table or, as it were, forum.

Respect is earned, not given on demand. You are creating trouble for yourself by "letting people know in advance" what you consider tolerable. This is a moderated community. We moderators handle what is acceptable and what is not. You are only making more work for us, and making things harder on yourself, by behaving this way. Your behavior invites the kind of responses you get and then we have to clean up the mess.

You have hereby been warned not to continue dictating to other posters what kind of responses you consider acceptable. If you do not change your attitude, you may be banned for trolling.

Everyone else, get back on topic. Any off-topic responses will result in bans. You will get banned if you keep being hostile to this poster inappropriately, even if they are bringing it on themselves with their improper attitude.

Well, you do have a point regarding it inviting those sort of responses. That's a sad reality. I had simply figured I'd be upfront with people about what I was hoping for and that discriminatory content was not acceptable, but it appears this approach does not work with such people; there was no intent to dictate, just a general sense of disgust and an unwillingness to tolerate further bigotry. I do not feel there is anything wrong with stating that such content is unacceptable, unless you feel that there is, I.e., that it's somehow inconsistent with the rules you are tasked with enforcing as moderator? It seems to me the ones that are making more work for you are those that post prejudicial views in response to the honest and forthright questions of others in the first place, and necessitate my posting what I would or would not tolerate. I hope you can use your power on here to clean that mess up.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Megan170 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Megan170 wrote:It would seem to me that the one who lacks social savvy is the one who speaks of "bash[ing]" other people. If you require an explanation, what I stated was to let people know in advance that I would not tolerate the sort of hateful commentary I had seen written in response to the legitimate questions of others. I cannot imagine what it takes to be so ugly, but I am very glad I am not. It's those that who cannot be respectful that should not be invited to the table or, as it were, forum.

Respect is earned, not given on demand. You are creating trouble for yourself by "letting people know in advance" what you consider tolerable. This is a moderated community. We moderators handle what is acceptable and what is not. You are only making more work for us, and making things harder on yourself, by behaving this way. Your behavior invites the kind of responses you get and then we have to clean up the mess.

You have hereby been warned not to continue dictating to other posters what kind of responses you consider acceptable. If you do not change your attitude, you may be banned for trolling.

Everyone else, get back on topic. Any off-topic responses will result in bans. You will get banned if you keep being hostile to this poster inappropriately, even if they are bringing it on themselves with their improper attitude.

Well, you do have a point regarding it inviting those sort of responses. That's a sad reality. I had simply figured I'd be upfront with people about what I was hoping for and that discriminatory content was not acceptable, but it appears this approach does not work with such people; there was no intent to dictate, just a general sense of disgust and an unwillingness to tolerate further bigotry. I do not feel there is anything wrong with stating that such content is unacceptable, unless you feel that there is, I.e., that it's somehow inconsistent with the rules you are tasked with enforcing as moderator? It seems to me the ones that are making more work for you are those that post prejudicial views in response to the honest and forthright questions of others in the first place, and necessitate my posting what I would or would not tolerate. I hope you can use your power on here to clean that mess up.
Sigh.

Just shut up and get back on topic. He's trying to throw you a bone and you're telling him how to do his job.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:12 pm

everyone has been diagnosed as add these days, and this is coming from someone who is ADD according to the docs.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Most of what should have been said ITT has already been said, so I'd just like to point out something which is admittedly my opinion, but as someone who had been diagnosed with ADD since they were 6, I feel like I'm somewhat qualified to give.

There are really two symptoms (or categories of symptoms) of ADD, which are related but not identical:

The first is "immediate" ADD: not being able to focus on a given topic for a short period of time, inability to pay attention in class, etc. Medicine helps with this, but no, its not a "smart pill". I don't want to go into a long rant about this. Maybe this was already said ITT, but OP, if your friend isn't prescribed something, they should look into it. This is more than enough to compensate for time on the LSAT.

Then there is "long term" ADD, which I feel doctors don't discuss enough, and medicine can't help with. I've been prescribed something for years, but it will never help with organization, long term planning, finishing projects etc; this is something that has to be self taught. This is something anyone with ADD and a decent amount of intelligence can work their way around in law school.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the ADD/LSAT/law school issue, I could write a lot more but won't.

thelogicalconstruct

New

Post by thelogicalconstruct » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:50 pm

You can go through all the red tape for some extra time or you can master the exam. I have ADD and my doctor pretty much told me the only way for me to get through this exam and LAW SCHOOL is to simplify my life. Quit everything else I'm doing and focus on the exam. He also warned me it will take more time to prepare than the average person. So what I'm doing is quitting my job and making it my full time priority. I've also streamlined all my belongings so my apartment is easier to maintain while I'm studying. It sounds a bit extreme but I feel less stressed out. Things seem manageable and I am actually hitting all my goals. To increase your speed, I would also recommend learning to finish really long books. Try a Harry Potter (even though its not my scene) or other large books and plow through them. Part of ADHD is having the problem to finish things or pay attention to details. You need to be able to read accurately the first time and fast. To do this you must train yourself to over come these obstacles. More time won't resolve those issues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Seems to be a bit defunct at this point, friend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”