Does the real test say the section order before you begin Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BeachedBrit

Bronze

Does the real test say the section order before you begin

Post by BeachedBrit » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:49 pm

In the PT's I bought from LSAC before you begin the 1st section but after the bubble sheet there is a page that has the order that the sections are in. I was wondering whether that page also exists on the real booklets or is it just something thats done on the practice tests. I find it helpful to mentally prepare myself for whats about to come next if I know but if I'm not going to be able to do that on the real thing then I would rather not have that option and will black that out with marker in my PT's.

speedyj88

Bronze

Re: Does the real test say the section order before you begin

Post by speedyj88 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:52 pm

You will not know although the pages of the LSAT packets are relatively thin so you may be able to see the next section when you're on the last spread of whatever section you're on.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:53 pm

No.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:02 pm

You dont know anything about the sections before you actually do them. The proctors are very specific about telling you NOT to go past the section youre working on. However, its easy to tell what the next section because the test pages are essentially translucent. Take a peek if you can.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:30 pm

I forgot from Sep 09, how exactly is the test designed so that you cant peek. Is each section taped together? It seems if one were to see that they had LG section 4 and 2 could determine section 2 was experimental if they could look....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I forgot from Sep 09, how exactly is the test designed so that you cant peek. Is each section taped together? It seems if one were to see that they had LG section 4 and 2 could determine section 2 was experimental if they could look....
Proctors, rules and the honor/academic honesty code (and hopefully some ethics) students are expected to obey are the things designed to prevent people from peeking/looking ahead/CHEATING!

Once you've been allowed to break the seal on the test booklet the only preventing you from getting 'sticky fingers' and flipping ahead in the book to peek at what is in other sections that you are not supposed to be looking at yet is the fear of getting caught by a proctor, getting written up for cheating (which is put on your score report LS's see) and fear of watching your chances of getting into any LS flush down the toilet really fast!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:23 pm

While that is true, look at the society we live in. People will do anything to get an edge and I'm sure it happens a lot more than we might think (although the majority of people probably dont know how to distinguish the experimental)

lakers3peat

Bronze

Post by lakers3peat » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:45 pm

honestly, this doesn't really matter because I would never dot his but I was thinking... :twisted:

say sections 1,2,3 were LR RC LG respectively. While doing the LG section, you notice on the last pages, that section 4 is also LG. You know that you are going to get another LR in section 5 since there are always two and because the experimental has been 1-3(since 1991) can you kind of bet that the LG 3 was the experimental?

I WOULD NEVER DO THIS!!! But I am just curious. 1-3 has to have experimental, if you can see what 4 is through the translucent pages, and it is either a RC/LG and you already had one... can't you infer that the LR/RC you saw 1-3 was experimental?

:) :mrgreen:

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:32 pm

I would assume if they are intentionally putting EXP in 1-3 then they would realize there is an obvious way to discern which is the experimental if the "other" was in 4 or 5. I assume they are not that dumb (or I am that dumb), and would always mix the experimental and real counterpart in sections 1-3.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:40 pm

If you think looking ahead affords you any advantage - you're dreaming. Nothing matters but your performance on the section, not knowledge of the order. Any psychological benefit you may dream of having may be immediately discounted by the anxiety of knowing what's ahead or the possible burning guilt you may have. It's just not worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”