How do I practice RC? Please help! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
roranoa

Silver

How do I practice RC? Please help!

Post by roranoa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:46 am

I've been studying for the LSAT on and off for almost a year
and I still can't get RC down to -4 which is what I'm aiming for.

Can anyone tell me a daily routine that would definitely help me improve my RC score?

I'm taking the LSAT this Dec. so I have about 80 days.

Does anyone have a practice routine that really worked for them?

downing

Bronze

Re: How do I practice RC? Please help!

Post by downing » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:55 am

I think one particular combination of techniques can significantly improve anyone's ability at the reading comp section if they aren't already doing it.
Take enough tests to be able to anticipate some typical problems you'll encounter. Almost invariably you'll get a main point problem, often enough you'll see a problem asking you to identify the logical structure of the reading passage, and you'll get several regarding this or that critic's feelings toward an issue. And of course there exist several other problem types that appear frequently. When you intuitively start knowing what to expect, actively read each section and use certain distinct markings to help you find your way back to the part of the passage you'll need.
For example, I box dates, names, and terms. I circle perspectives and viewpoints (i.e. I'd circle this one "however, certain critics assert..."), and I underline anything else that I think will be necessary to know.
So basically, get to the point where you can anticipate the questions that'll be asked, and use your ability to foreshadow to inform how you mark up each passage. Chances are, as you get better at marking up the passage, you won't even need to return to it as often as you otherwise would. Sorta sticks in your mind.

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:22 am

downing wrote:I think one particular combination of techniques can significantly improve anyone's ability at the reading comp section if they aren't already doing it.
Take enough tests to be able to anticipate some typical problems you'll encounter. Almost invariably you'll get a main point problem, often enough you'll see a problem asking you to identify the logical structure of the reading passage, and you'll get several regarding this or that critic's feelings toward an issue. And of course there exist several other problem types that appear frequently. When you intuitively start knowing what to expect, actively read each section and use certain distinct markings to help you find your way back to the part of the passage you'll need.
For example, I box dates, names, and terms. I circle perspectives and viewpoints (i.e. I'd circle this one "however, certain critics assert..."), and I underline anything else that I think will be necessary to know.
So basically, get to the point where you can anticipate the questions that'll be asked, and use your ability to foreshadow to inform how you mark up each passage. Chances are, as you get better at marking up the passage, you won't even need to return to it as often as you otherwise would. Sorta sticks in your mind.
Thanks for the advice!

One more question, do you know how I can better distinguish the right answer from the decoy?

It seems like the most recent PT's have RC answer choices that are much more vague than what they used to be in the past. What do you think will help me to get over this obstacle?

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:43 pm

bump for more advice please!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:47 pm

roranoa wrote:bump for more advice please!
Use the search function. Hell, look a few posts down and youll find more advice. Your questions been asked a million times.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

roranoa

Silver

Post by roranoa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Use the search function. Hell, look a few posts down and youll find more advice. Your questions been asked a million times.

Good luck!
I tried that obviously but got nothing about practice routines

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm

roranoa wrote:
gdane5 wrote:

Good luck!
I tried that obviously but got nothing about practice routines
I wasnt trying to be an ass and Im not trying to now, but really?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/search-f ... +help#1075

My advice to you with RC is that there isnt any real secret or tips that can help you. Its just a matter of developing those skills over time. Read through the search that I linked and see if anything can help you.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”