PT 15, Section 3, Question 3 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jesuis

New

PT 15, Section 3, Question 3

Post by jesuis » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Can anyone please elaborate on this question...

Since "C" is the correct answer, I'm assuming that it's assumed that the paper used in the mailings as well as the paper of the envelopes are recyclable. So is answer choice C a necessary assumption (plastic part of envelopes being recyclable) since plastic (though it is made of recycled material) isn't necessarily recyclable?

I feel like "E" is also a required assumption, but then again, not necessarily since the argumetn doesn't says "these mailings" when it's discussing mailings from its headquarter and not all mailings of the entire company.

I just feel like it's a trick question because paper is not necessarily recyclable and the correct answer choice does not address that assumption.

Please let me know if you need more information about the question stem itself.

suspicious android

Silver

Re: PT 15, Section 3, Question 3

Post by suspicious android » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:01 am

The key to this question is the distinction between "recylcable" and "recycled". The conclusion is about certain things being recyclable, whereas the evidence given only tells us that the windows in the mailings are recycled. It could be that they had been recycled, but are no longer recyclable. Answer choice C addresses this possibility, to show that those windows are not just recycled, but recyclable as well.

As you noted, there is a problem in this argument about the letters. It is not explicitly stated that the letters are recyclable, even though they should be if the mailings as a whole are to be considered recyclable. However, just because this flaw is not addressed by answer choice C, is not a reason to dislike that answer choices. The question stem just asks you to identify a required assumption, not every required assumption. Some of the harder necessary assumption questions have multiple flaws. If you concentrate too narrowly on one flaw that you perceive, you may not notice other problems.

Also, I agree with your rationale for why E is not actually a necessary assumption.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”