Grade 12 student looking into law school Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: Grade 12 student looking into law school

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:18 pm

h3jk5h wrote:lol to the virginity post

how do I know which courses are easy in my university?
Ratemyprofessor.com

followed by liberal arts major if you're not interested in anything in particular...

Just for the love of god don't do "pre-law".

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:20 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

ratemyprofessors.com

Also do not major in science/math. They are not easy.

Any majors such as English/Communications are generally known to be easy.

History/Political Science can be a joke if you are a good writer and don't mind reading.

You can always major in something like Modern Dance if you REALLY don't want to do any work.
Engineering/Science will be way easier if he already has a solid math background(read: Calculus 1).

Besides, if you want to do Patent law, get an engineering degree. Still have to keep a high GPA though. Just saying.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Get A's your first 3 years and get all your hard stuff out of the way. Then only take joke classes your senior year and party super hard in between LSAT studying. (my friends who did this had a great college experience, I would have done the same except where I went to school your senior year pretty much determines your GPA. On that note LSAC doesn't assign me a GPA so if you really only want to focus on LSAT Europe could be a route for you to take.)

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:32 pm

Now that I think of it, since you said you wanted to go to Toronto I'm guessing you are Canadian. There were tons of canadians at my school eh and you can kinda mess aboot while enjoying Europe and drinking legally etc. you might want to consider it.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:33 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

ratemyprofessors.com

Also do not major in science/math. They are not easy.

Any majors such as English/Communications are generally known to be easy.

History/Political Science can be a joke if you are a good writer and don't mind reading.

You can always major in something like Modern Dance if you REALLY don't want to do any work.
Engineering/Science will be way easier if he already has a solid math background(read: Calculus 1).

Besides, if you want to do Patent law, get an engineering degree. Still have to keep a high GPA though. Just saying.
I completed Calc 2 before college with straight A's in all my math classes. I found liberal arts way easier than the few math classes I did take in college.

Mostly because math had so much homework. I didn't want to do a problem set every week. I wanted to write a paper every few weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:33 pm

They count towards your anthropology major.

As far as majoring in history, just know that history professors take themselves very, very seriously. Depending on where you go, it's often not an easy liberal arts major.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:36 pm

I guess at UofT take the same classes that the hockey players are in?

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:52 pm

eit wrote:
Well, your reading comprehension skills probably improved from your pre-college level to now. Doing assigned reading now might not help you improve your skills, but it might help a high schooler.
Really? I don't think my reading comp skills have improved at all since highschool. I'm not terrible at RC though (-3 to -5).

But I really think skills for RC are more innate than any other section of the LSAT.[/quote]

I don't agree. I think reading skills are developed over the course of a lifetime. RC is my favorite section and I really don't think it's coincidental that reading is one of my favorite things to do and that I own about 500 books I've read about 3-5 times each. I also don't think I like reading because I'm good at it - I got 92% in the last math class I took but I absolutely ABHOR math. I don't know. I really think the more you read, the better you get at reading.[/quote]

I call BS. I'm sure you like to read, but come on. Not on the amount of books, but each 3-5 times, you're just lying.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:28 am

RayFinkle wrote:
I call BS. I'm sure you like to read, but come on. Not on the amount of books, but each 3-5 times, you're just lying.
LOL um, no, I'm not lying. Why would I lie about how many times I've read my own books?

I generally read a book twice when I first get it, and then let it lie for awhile, and then read it again. If I didn't read my books again, I would just get them from the library and leave it at that. I wouldn't own so many books if I didn't want to re-read them. I just ... like re-reading books.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:07 am

you're canadian

gtfo

digitalcntrl

Bronze

Post by digitalcntrl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:31 am

ResolutePear wrote:
Don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. - the university you attend UG for is of no importance to the LS. It's GPA and LSAT. Some schools weigh LSAT more than GPA, some do the converse. Some value work experience, some couldn't care less.
Since OP wishes to attend an elite school (he mentions Harvard or Yale) I would say his UG institution would matter to a certain degree.

SuperFreak

New

Post by SuperFreak » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:07 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:What everyone here is saying is right on the money. It's too early to think about the LSAT and law school at this point. Focus on grade 12 grades for now and try and maintain a high average in order to attend a prime university; such as U of T. Just remember that law schools look at two things: LSAT and GPA. More so the LSAT than the GPA but your GPA is still very important. With that being said, it is well known that U of T is one of the hardest schools in Canada and maintaining a 3.0 GPA is no easy task. If I were you I'd consider other schools like York (I know, nothing like U of T academically) but since Law schools don't put too much stock into what school you attended for your undergrad it wouldn't really matter. What matters is that you'd have a better shot at maintaining a solid GPA at York as opposed to U of T.
This is bullshit. The only thing harder about York is that the curve might not be as tough.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:09 am

Go to college, get your 3.95, then get back to us in 3 years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:39 am

motiontodismiss wrote:Go to college, get your 3.95, then get back to us in 3 years.
/thread

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:59 am

sundance95 wrote:

They count towards your anthropology sociology major.
FTFY

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:13 pm

eit wrote:
RayFinkle wrote:
LOL um, no, I'm not lying. Why would I lie about how many times I've read my own books?

I generally read a book twice when I first get it, and then let it lie for awhile, and then read it again. If I didn't read my books again, I would just get them from the library and leave it at that. I wouldn't own so many books if I didn't want to re-read them. I just ... like re-reading books.
People talk in hyperbole all the time. You read a book twice when you first get it? You finish it and then flip back to page one to go through it again? I mean, I'm a nerd, but that's pretty epic. I do love to read and have my own library... if you are THAT committed to reading, I would love to hear book recommendations and whatnot. PM me if you ever want to talk books.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:21 pm

RayFinkle wrote:
eit wrote:
RayFinkle wrote:

People talk in hyperbole all the time. You read a book twice when you first get it? You finish it and then flip back to page one to go through it again? I mean, I'm a nerd, but that's pretty epic. I do love to read and have my own library... if you are THAT committed to reading, I would love to hear book recommendations and whatnot. PM me if you ever want to talk books.
Haha yeah, I guess that is fairly nerdy/extreme of me... I usually buy a couple books at a time, or a series/trilogy, read them all, then go back to the first and re-read them. I'm not sure if our tastes would correlate, but if you're ever in need of a good book I can recommend some haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Your RC score may be low because English is your second language.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:09 pm

eit wrote:
RayFinkle wrote:
eit wrote:
RayFinkle wrote:

Haha yeah, I guess that is fairly nerdy/extreme of me... I usually buy a couple books at a time, or a series/trilogy, read them all, then go back to the first and re-read them. I'm not sure if our tastes would correlate, but if you're ever in need of a good book I can recommend some haha.
The thing that I'm interested in is....where the hell do you keep 500 books?!?!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:19 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
eit wrote:
RayFinkle wrote:
eit wrote:

The thing that I'm interested in is....where the hell do you keep 500 books?!?!
I keep over 1000 in my Kindle. Sometimes, I don't even notice them.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:15 pm

You stack them 3 deep and 2 deep and have two bookshelves and you also leave them all over your floor.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Oh snap! Are those all your books? You werent kidding when you said you read a lot. :shock:

Also, love the Twilight books!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:22 pm

eit wrote:You stack them 3 deep and 2 deep and have two bookshelves and you also leave them all over your floor.

Twilight. ugh.

Stupid sparkling vampires.

/rant

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:24 pm

That is possibly one of the most unintentionally hilarious bookcase brag photos I've ever seen. Twilight, Potter, effing Percy Jackson. The stack of what appears to be Nancy Drew is the capper. One wonders what Shakespeare and House of Leaves are doing there. I'm guessing the "used saves" sticker on their shelf-neighbors means they were assigned.
Last edited by Duralex on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”