Aren't prep courses a waste of money? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CardozoLaw09

Gold

Aren't prep courses a waste of money?

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:50 pm

You could find everything you need to know online as opposed to pay over 500 bucks for some dude to tell you.

sundance95

Gold

Re: Aren't prep courses a waste of money?

Post by sundance95 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Depends on one's learning style. For many people who learn better in a class setting, the $1500 bucks or so is well worth it if you improve your score, considering the benefits of either a) potential scholarships, or b) getting into a top law school that will ensure better pay on the back end.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:04 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:You could find everything you need to know online as opposed to pay over 500 bucks for some dude to tell you.
I found that taking a class worked as a great study motivator. There's no way in hell I'm going to blow off prep when I've shilled out major money.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:15 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:You could find everything you need to know online as opposed to pay over 500 bucks for some dude to tell you.
So then why are you asking?

am588

New

Post by am588 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:43 am

i'm taking a prep course now, and since im working ft if i didnt have a class i had to go to every week, i def would not be studying as much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:51 am

Isn't law school a waste of money?

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:27 am

JazzOne wrote:Isn't law school a waste of money?
You could find everything you need to know online as opposed to pay over 120,000 bucks for some professor dude to tell you.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:47 pm

No, its not a waste if that is what is going to help you learn. I knew I was not the type to learn on my own and that sitting in a class with a live teacher and other students was what was best for me. I got a 157 on the first diagnostic we took and a 167 on the last. Now Im testing even better than that with about a month to go.

If you are a self-studier, taking a course may not be a good use of your time and money. But for people like me, it made all of the difference.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Good prep courses with an experienced instructor will teach you much more about how to do well on the test than you can get from books or from sorting through a bunch of free stuff on the web (much of which is poor quality/bad information and advice). Plus, as compared to self-study, you cannot ask a book questions. With a class you have an expert instructor (hopefully, depends on the company) that you can ask questions to clear up things and make sure you are understanding and doing things the best ways.

If you self-study and end up hitting a score plateau and/or are having issues/problems holding you back that you cannot figure out by yourself you would have to pay private tutoring fees to get personally tailored attention/guidance to help you overcome your obstacles to further improve your score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:59 pm

I self-studied, but I teach prep courses, and I don't see a contradiction there, for the reasons described above. I knew that I was going to be able to learn enough from a book that I didn't need to take a course, but I know that a lot of my students are going to need a schedule, the ability to ask questions, practice problems organized for them, etc.

So for some people a course would be a waste of money. It would've been that way for me. But for some people, it's not. Depends on the person (and the course, I suppose).

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Different people learn differently. Many need a set time in a structured environment to cover all the material. Independent study may result in repeating the same mistakes, whereas an instructor led course offers additional insight to correct one's weaknesses.
On the other hand, some students start strong & progress rapidly & may find structured courses too slow.
Score above a 170 with self-study & I'll agree that your twelve hundred dollars could be put to better use.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:51 pm

After taking my testmasters course, I've come to the realization it was a waste of money. I feel like it got me the basics down, but I could have easily used the LRB and LGB and just done tests over and over.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:After taking my testmasters course, I've come to the realization it was a waste of money. I feel like it got me the basics down, but I could have easily used the LRB and LGB and just done tests over and over.
I'm sorry to hear that. I took TM and largely credit the course for raising my score from a 157 diagnostic to the 172 I ended up with.

That said, I am a learner that benefits from a class, and I was struggling with games, which is probably the easiest section to improve upon. Would I have improved some with self-study? Almost certainly. Would I have improved as much? I'm not sure, but I definitely feel the money was well spent.

This is just an anecdote, but it goes to show that depending on your particular style, YMMV with courses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”